33 coaches online • Server time: 13:07
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Blood Bowl 2024 Edit...goto Post RNG speculationsgoto Post SWL Season CI
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Which format do you like best?
Faction type system
28%
 28%  [ 9 ]
Rookie/Elite League
12%
 12%  [ 4 ]
Conferences leading to playoffs
56%
 56%  [ 18 ]
Other type (ill tell you below)
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 32

SnakeSanders

Post   Posted: May 16, 2006 - 09:40 Reply with quote Back to top

There has been some discussion as to what we can do for next season, Im quite happy to go with good suggestions from the group members, but what I had in mind was one of the following

1) A faction System, consisting of say 2 factions of 40, and there is promotion for the top/bottom 15% of teams, with a possible playoff for the top faction, deadlines would likely be weekly to getna max of x games

2) A rookie league and an elite league, for experienced teams and rookie teams respectively

3) A number of smaller leagues at an equal level, perhaps 4, with top teams going to playoffs and facing off against other teams, new leagues are easy to start and add in this way as well, is that something similar to the superbowl? Laughing

leave as much feedback as you can here and make this even better, as season I has been a rip roaring success!

Ill send this as a group PM as well to the group members, tell me if there is an oprion you really like or really hate! and ill work on it!
Absurd

Post   Posted: May 16, 2006 - 10:20 Reply with quote Back to top

just a note to add to what I put in the PM. Where would the new teams go in the conference option? Would they have a separate division? I know it doesn't take too long to get some skills and the older teams begin to suffer more drafting.
SnakeSanders

Post   Posted: May 16, 2006 - 10:33 Reply with quote Back to top

well i was thinking that if we had 20 in a conference, and 4 conferences, there would normally be 4 from each group progress to the inter conference playoffs, but if a further 20 teams applied, then we could either take 3 from each group with the best runner up, points wise, or create a bigger Playoff!

These are by no means set in stone, if you come up with an idea of any kind, plant it in here and we can work at it! One of the complaints about this season was the way some coaches could play a lot more than others, i could use a challenge system i guess, but it would mean me staying at home all the time to deal with the challenge points Wink
Absurd

Post   Posted: May 16, 2006 - 10:40 Reply with quote Back to top

As a member of the olbbl, as well as here, maybe something like the system there could be used. It's the coference style system but that you can play any team from any conference but must play at least 4 games, two of which in the same division, if you want to go to the playoffs.

The two division, elite and rookie won't saty like that for long but i guess is the easiest to implement and get the rookies games.

As I said in my PM, what will be done about more teams with the faction system, more factions or just make the lower faction bigger?
SnakeSanders

Post   Posted: May 16, 2006 - 10:55 Reply with quote Back to top

probably make the bottom faction bigger, we can have a buffer of 20 teams via tourneyfiller, but those filled up in 2 days last time :S but i have pllenty of unused [U] slots myself, so i can creat new temporary TR0 teams and use them to increase this buffer to near 30
Absurd

Post   Posted: May 16, 2006 - 10:59 Reply with quote Back to top

It doesn't help when I'm Mr. Indecisive.

I like the faction and conference ideas, but also I like the idea of a rookie divison which could have it's owmn playoff. It's just that niggling thing in the back of my mind of what happens when those teams have played a season and are no longer rookie.
SnakeSanders

Post   Posted: May 16, 2006 - 11:00 Reply with quote Back to top

likewise, we could assign 5 tourneyfiller teams to each conference as a buffer again, with a possible 2 more with my own temp teams1
SnakeSanders

Post   Posted: May 16, 2006 - 11:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Absurd wrote:
It doesn't help when I'm Mr. Indecisive.

I like the faction and conference ideas, but also I like the idea of a rookie divison which could have it's owmn playoff. It's just that niggling thing in the back of my mind of what happens when those teams have played a season and are no longer rookie.

how about this...

run a rookie league in the vein of what he had in Season I, and then run a conference for the other teams?

the conference is something i havent come across here on fumbbl (its probably been done) but i like the idea of playing in your own group, and then getting fresh challenges in the playoffs

thing is iof we run a rookie league each season, we could end up with a bottleneck with a load of elite teams and nothing for them to play in...

what about mixing each conference by TR as well, better teams are better and deserve the better chance to advance, but the new boys can advance easily, a rookie conference could also work beside the others, with more teams in it

these are all ideas yet, nothing set in stone Wink

Id also love it if someone fancied a challenge to write up a Season I report writing about the self destruction of the Khaos Invaders right before the playoffs, drafting and exciting matches you have seen, and general odd events, such as one team having a horde of cash and as a result suffering bad morelys and It wasnt me!
Absurd

Post   Posted: May 16, 2006 - 11:15 Reply with quote Back to top

I think I've exhausted my ideas for right this moment. It's time we got opinions from the others...not that I'm still being indecisive or anything Smile

I'm not much good at writing...was always better with pictures, but I can give a first-hand account of the downfall of the Khaos Invaders.
Absurd

Post   Posted: May 16, 2006 - 11:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Oh as an added note, those poor Lizards, if they don't get good handicap results in the playoffs, they may become extinct...
SnakeSanders

Post   Posted: May 16, 2006 - 17:11 Reply with quote Back to top

bump!!!
Hammerhiem

Post   Posted: May 16, 2006 - 18:13 Reply with quote Back to top

I really think there should be a limit on number of games played in a day/week for each team, i found that after 2 days i was unable to find any even games for either of my 2 game teams and was forced to play extremely uneven games just to set them up for vet season.

for me the entire league was settled on number of games people played in the first 24 hours. Leaving anyone else to get beaten down by superior teams.

Other than that i had great fun

arghh bumflaps , another fumble. Why can't these Gobbo's just pick the ball up?
Karhumies

Post   Posted: May 16, 2006 - 18:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Open round robin as a format is one that gives (debatedly) unfair advantage to those with (too much) free time on their hands. With that being said, I belive the way to go is to randomize the teams into a few divisions so that there is X veteran teams and Y rookie teams in each division.

<b>Option C:</b>
<b>+</b> The rookie teams are likely to accept challenges only versus other rookie teams until their TR rises up enough to face the veterans.
<b>+</b> Veteran teams in bad condition after season 1 can recover vs new teams
<b>+</b> New coaches get to know the old ones->more social interaction
<b>+</b> IMO not having to fear of "falling down" (as in option A) encourages to play as many matches as possible and leads to more fun moments
<b>-</b> A few rookie teams "not fast enough" will get trampled.
<b>-</b> New teams are at a slight disadvantage, although they can catch up the TR difference
<b>-</b> Veteran coaches can try their best to cherry pick (although rookies have equal TR alternatives in the beginning)
<b>-</b> High advance veteran teams might have a hard time getting matches (BUT they can play vs each other in the beginning)

If you were to put veteran teams in the same division and rookie teams to another one, then
<b>Option B:</b>
<b>-</b> Cherrypicking will ensue in veteran division, as the lowest TR veteran team has no option but to play (all) their games upwards
<b>-</b> Fastest coaches in rookie division never have to play up in TR/TS -> cherry victory
<b>-</b> Fastest cherry picker will win rookie division
<b>-</b> Playoffs of veteran teams vs new teams sound plain unfair (that or they are completely decided by the handicaps)
<b>-</b> Separate playoffs mean the old and new coaches never get to meet one another
<b>-</b> New coaches don't get to know the old ones->less social interaction
<b>-</b> Veteran teams in bad condition after season 1 can not recover
<b>-</b> High advance veteran teams might have a hard time getting matches (BUT they can play vs each other in the beginning)
<b>-</b> What happens in the beginning of season 3?

If you were to go for Faction model, then:
<b>Option A:</b>
<b>+</b> Experienced teams will be rewarded at the end of the season
<b>-</b> High TR droppers will have trouble finding games from amongst new teams
<b>-</b> ->Veteran coaches with some bad luck in matches are likely to leave the league if they can't get any games
<b>-</b> High TR teams not rising up will have trouble finding matches next season amongst new teams
<b>-</b> ->Veteran coaches with some bad luck in matches are likely to leave the league if they can't get any games
<b>-</b> More and more factions each season -> System soon gets complicated
<b>-</b> ->Soon it becomes immensely hard for new teams to get anywhere in the league (without ridiculous cherry picking)
<b>-</b> Less fun, more cherry picking (IMO rising up/falling down structure encourages cherry picking by too much as compared to option C)
<b>-</b> Any and all of the negative things present in the current Faction division

Last edited by Karhumies on %b %16, %2006 - %18:%May; edited 3 times in total
tadgoraucymru

Post   Posted: May 16, 2006 - 18:34 Reply with quote Back to top

How about a mix of the rookie elite and conference.

The elite division canbe a free for all - rewards the dedicated, or limited to x no of games - rewards the more startegically aware and cherry pickers. My preference is the former.

Make the rookie a conference division, which allows for additional conferences to be added during the round Everyone must play all the teams in their conference plus x no of xtra games. Everyone in the playoffs is promoted or last 16 and the bottom 16 vets relegated.

Having submitted my twopeneth, this could go on forever, I trust Rob to get on with it and make the right decision.

Hammerhiem wrote:

for me the entire league was settled on number of games people played in the first 24 hours. Leaving anyone else to get beaten down by superior teams.

I played my first game against hiton whose enthusiasm in the first 48hrs held no bounds, he had at least 10 games on me and I beat him. So whilst I sort of agree my experience doesn't wholly bear that out.
Walks_in_the_Sun

Post   Posted: May 16, 2006 - 18:34 Reply with quote Back to top

I think it's important to make it easy to find games. Divisions, factions or whatever can be restrictive.

Depending on how long you want the season to last, you might require each team play a game against a certain number (1, 2, all) of teams in their division at least once to be eligible for playoffs. Or, you might let teams play anyone to gain TR/TS/win record/however you rank teams in a division, but then require the top teams play a Divisional Series game to enter into the playoff proper. Something to that effect.

I don't really know how running these types of things works, so I don't know what is easy/hard/impossible to implement, but from a player's perspective, I want to be able to play games first, and know that I'm not being beaten by teams playing twice as many games second. So either open play or restriction could work. I think, continuing the divisional example, that about 50% intra-divisional and 50% inter-divisional play is ideal.
 Jump to: