19 coaches online • Server time: 04:32
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Borg Invasiongoto Post Finishing the 60 Gam...goto Post GIF Guide
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
fosthefish

Post   Posted: Dec 11, 2005 - 15:29 Reply with quote Back to top

well said
Firesky

Post   Posted: Dec 12, 2005 - 08:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Meetgrinder wrote:
Changing the rules with the season underway seems a sure fire way to annoy people in my opinion.

I totally second that.

Post   Posted: Dec 12, 2005 - 10:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Meetgrinder wrote:
Well, I've just hired Zug for my next game against Huffersdield. Changing the rules (when things are going well and we have a fine set of coaches/fluff reports) mid season seems daft to me.

In a league, you should be able to do what you want with your roster. Leave the 'you hired a star after we arranged a game so the game is off' stuff to standard non league (i.e. unranked/ranked etc) games I'd say, and change your rules at the end of a season.

I have no problem with the Giants hiring Zug either, he's cheap for a game, and brings a non bonehead ogre to the fold when you need a result. We're not all lucky enough to afford Ogres/lots of RR so in my opinion a star like Zug is great to fill in for players with MNG.

Changing the rules with the season underway seems a sure fire way to annoy people in my opinion.

You seem to have missed the point on this one. I wasn't saying it's unfair to hire Zug (that's why I hired him) and i do agree it adds a bit of variety to the game and it's good to do when your short on players. However if two teams hire the same Star, for the same match - they wont play for either team. The point I was making is that it seems unfair just to hire a star to prevent them playing for your opposition. Seems like a bit of an underhanded tactic to me.

But, everyone seems to thik this is fine to do so let's get on with the league. When your short on players and spend 60k to hire a star and help you out, and your opposition buys the same star just to cancel them out - i don't wanna hear any complaining

Post   Posted: Dec 12, 2005 - 10:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Zug was near useless in the game I hired him in. He didn't do much. I recall another report where he was KO'd most of the game. It might be more fun to see whose Zug is the crappest Smile when both players hire him, seeing how many turns he sits in the dugout Smile

I recall hiring Morg n Throg in another game. He left on the first turn, badly hurt from a 1db from Dark Elves. They then preceded to foul me the rest of the game and get no players sent off, whereas my 2 and 3db scored the odd pushbacks, mostly skulls.

Needless to say I was overjoyed with the result :S

It's all about the dice. Don't really matter what you got on the field I'd say. Once you got your players in position and start the dice rolling, you're in the lap of the gods (or flushed down the bog).

I'm betting the Giants will hire Zug, and we'll see who gets least use out of the clown.
lamby16

Post   Posted: Dec 12, 2005 - 11:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Meetgrinder wrote:
Zug was near useless in the game I hired him in. He didn't do much. I recall another report where he was KO'd most of the game. It might be more fun to see whose Zug is the crappest Smile when both players hire him, seeing how many turns he sits in the dugout Smile

I recall hiring Morg n Throg in another game. He left on the first turn, badly hurt from a 1db from Dark Elves. They then preceded to foul me the rest of the game and get no players sent off, whereas my 2 and 3db scored the odd pushbacks, mostly skulls.

It's all about the dice. Don't really matter what you got on the field I'd say. Once you got your players in position and start the dice rolling, you're in the lap of the gods (or flushed down the bog).

I'm betting the Giants will hire Zug, and we'll see who gets least use out of the clown.

If both teams Hire the same star, the star wont play for either side! as in if both of you hire Zug, he'll just take the money from both teams and not play. I wish he could play for both sides cos that would avoid this whole problem!

EDIT: I would have no problem if the Chargers had hired Zara the slayer or any of the other stars because this would be a fair way of counteracting my player

Post   Posted: Dec 12, 2005 - 20:31 Reply with quote Back to top

hmm i've joined this one late i'm afraid sorry guys. i tend not to use stars and although contemplating it for crunch games this does seem odd. It is strange that a game based on a board game and model set is subject to rules for hiring the same star player, i was never aware of this at all in fact.

Why can't both teams use him? the symbols are different colours afterall, then just change the match fluff afterwards to read a different name for one of them, would make sense in my mind.

Although saying that until then, teams hiring stars could be based on a first come first served policy, as would be realistic, first bag of gold on the table so to speak, as such contact a member of staff as soon as possible to enquire about your decision on who to hire. We will then send out a group PM to make public that a offer by a star has been accepted then you can hire him at your leisure any time before your next fixture, knowing that everybody has been told he will be playing for your team. but this is only a thought

Alan
solahma

Post   Posted: Dec 13, 2005 - 14:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Super League Rd 5
Terminatio Infinitus 5 - 0 Giants
Match report from 'up the bean stalk' the unofficial Giants fanzine
Round 5 of the super league season saw the Giants travelling to Terminatio Infinitus (from now on known as TI to save my poor typing fingers) and once again the Giants fans stayed away in their thousands but the few who did turn up seemed to be in good spirits
This was further shown as the teams ran out onto the pitch with the Giants fans making load snoring noices as a joke at the Mighty Zug who this week ran out in the TI colours for those of you new to these fanzine reports the Giants fans were taking the mickey out of Zug after his great performance for the Giants in the last round when he spent the entire first half KO'ed in the dugout
The game got under way as in the first flury of blocks thr TI Apo was called on but he worked his magic and all the TI players stayed on the field and that I'm afraid to say was the high point of the match for the Giant fans
Even though the Giants had a bigger squad of men to call on the superior players of TI started to take a hold of the game and even managed to whittle down the player advantage of the Giants who could only field 10 players by the end of the game but on the plus side for Giants fans nobody died
So the game ended with the worst defeat of the Giants short history and as most fans left the stadium some muteering that they would not be coming back to another Giants game the hard core of Giants season ticket holders staged a protest outside the ground calling for the resignation of Giants coach Solahma
Solahma eventually came out to face his critics and had these words to say"I know that things have not been going well for the Giants this season and it looks like the play -offs are now out of our reach so we must dig in and start building a squad for next season to that end I can anounce that I have just finalised the signing of Trog'Thruk Hardygrinder to be the rock upon which the Giants will build anew.
I have to say at this point that I have gone against the advice of many who said that I should work more on the teams skills to try and improve our performances but as I said to them OGRE OGRE OGRE OGRE OGRE OGRE OGRE OGRE OGRE"
And so ended the Giants coaches press release
So the Giants now have an Ogre in the squad and with stories circulating about the fact that his contract includes the pick of the youth squad to eat after each match 'up the bean stalk ' will be watching his progress with the Giants
Thats all for now see you on the BB field

Meetgrinder

Post   Posted: Dec 13, 2005 - 14:51 Reply with quote Back to top

As it turned out, Zug made little or no impression on the result of the game, simply serving as a (slowly) moving wall to tie up a lineman or two, and KOing one of the Giants Catchers.

Terminatio Infinitus 5 - Huffersdield Giants 0

This was a game about kickoffs. With the Giants having little or no fans, Infinitus pretty much got the kickoff every time, unless it was for a weather change (twice I think) or Injury time (twice).

Other than that, the kickoffs pretty much handed TI the game, allowing them to race players into position and scoop up loose balls. The Giants made a great show of standing up for themselves though, and pulled off some nifty blocks to make sure TI wouldn't have it their own way. In the end however, the important luck tipped in TI's favour, with the ball being the ball and not a bar of soap (as it usually is), and being run in 5 times in front of a crowd of 48,000.

The Giants blocking machine ran out of steam when the Infinitus team caught up with them, and my end game report was wrong - The Giants ran 4-5 paces over the mid way point to get into a fine scoring position, only for the TI to make a wall, force a block on a supporting giants player, and push the ball carrier out of bounds, race over to pick up the loose ball, and sprint down the field to eventually score another.

The TD of the game came from a move deep, deep in the TI half, a max move run from the passer, hand off to a catcher, max move and pass from him, completed to a blitzer who GFI twice to score, moving the entire length of the field save for 3 squares, to score in 1 turn.

I wish the Giants the BEST of luck in their next game, especially with their new Ogre Rolling Eyes rather than a reroll, and would love to see them break their duck, especially as they'd played one less game than me, and lacked the skills/cash that brings.

As for the argument of using star players, the TI team will avoid that next time, with Tee Wun Fowzand becoming dauntless, ably assisted by a couple of guards, and the team toughening up with 8 from 12 with block. Tee Ate Undred went up in a number of peoples' estimations, and should provide a more agile (+AG) line up when the TI play next...

Against the Silvertown Skywalkers!

Till then, I will be watching the Targets play the Skywalkers (or at least the replay, if I can) and hope the Giants get their break against a (hopefully) depleted Targets side in their next game!

This game was more a less a triumph of dice over skill, though I'm pleased with the 1 turn td, was chuffed when that worked! (And I never used a single RR in the 2nd half - not something I am used to....)

Cheers!

Meetgrinder (Paul) coach of Terminatio Infinitus

Last edited by Meetgrinder on %b %13, %2005 - %15:%Dec; edited 1 time in total
solahma

Post   Posted: Dec 13, 2005 - 15:09 Reply with quote Back to top

An extract from 'up the bean stalk' the unofficial fanzine of thr Giants
Here is an update of the Giants stats after Rd 5 of the super league
Completed passes
=1 Michael De Vere - 2
=1 Paul March - 2

Touchdowns
=1 Paul Reilly - 1
=1 James Evans - 1

Casualties inflicted
=1 Stuart Donlan - 2
=1 Jim Gannon - 2
3 Jonathon Grayshon - 1

MVP
1 Jonathon Grayshon - 2
=2 James Evans - 1
=2 Stuart Donlan - 1

Pass distance(in paces)
1 Michael De Vere - 30
2 Paul March - 15

Rush distance(in paces)
1 Michael De Vere - 155
2 Paul March - 90
3 James Evans - 85
4 Paul Smith - 40
5 Paul Reilly - 25

Blocks
1 Stuart Donlan - 25
=2 Paul Reilly - 18
=2 Paul Smith - 18
4 Jim Gannon - 16
5 Paul Jackson - 15

Meetgrinder

Post   Posted: Dec 13, 2005 - 15:29 Reply with quote Back to top

lamby16 wrote:
Meetgrinder wrote:

If both teams Hire the same star, the star wont play for either side! as in if both of you hire Zug, he'll just take the money from both teams and not play. I wish he could play for both sides cos that would avoid this whole problem!

EDIT: I would have no problem if the Chargers had hired Zara the slayer or any of the other stars because this would be a fair way of counteracting my player

I re-read the LRB and you are right - using the same player cancels both out. I thought it was simply a case of saying "The Mighty Zog, Zug's brother, turns up." but it's not. The only player that applies to is Luthor Von Drakenbourg. He's one of the best Stars to hire anyway, but much more expensive than Zug.

With that in mind I agree your point on it being underhanded to hire a player simply to cancel another out, but you can look at that one of several ways:

1) Hire the player JUST before the game is played. This is a league, not standard open play, so even if frowned upon by the opponent, there is jack they can do about it. Get them to host the game to make doubly sure, and grin broadly as your newest (and probably useless, judging on the 2 performances for me, and those for others) recruit turns up unannounced.

2) Allow someone to cancel the star out by spending their cash. I would not do this. I would rather buy a new lineman, stuff wasting 60k simply to make sure a near useless Star doesn't turn up. Now Morg n Thorg or Count Von Drak/Griff Oberwald... they are more expensive. And they are worth cancelling out if you have cash to spare! (though it's still a waste!)

3) When you hire the star, PM your opponent and post in here as well, stating your intentions and therefore prohibiting them from hiring the same player. If all coaches agree to this we'll avoid such problems in the future.

I don't want any rule changes - the League has gone great so far, and been a lot of fun for most of us, so why change what is a winning formula? But maybe if we clarify this point and make sure everyone knows what the score is?

Meetgrinder
Firesky

Post   Posted: Dec 13, 2005 - 16:16 Reply with quote Back to top

"Summit" proudly presents one of the highlights in this first Tortley´s League season:

Targets - Skywalkers
Captain - Firesky
2nd vs. 2nd

Wednesday, 14th december 2005 at 20:00 Bloodbowl time
Delay possible!

Who will take the chance to stay in contact for the season´s champions?

Don´t miss it!

Last edited by Firesky on %b %13, %2005 - %17:%Dec; edited 1 time in total
Meetgrinder

Post   Posted: Dec 13, 2005 - 16:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Gotta be game of the season, that!

The two top ranked coaches against each other, with the top rated teams (let's face it, I'm only keeping the top spot warm for one of you guys Razz ) am gonna see if I can get near my comp to watch that one, should be a cracker!

Cheers

Meetgrinder
Firesky

Post   Posted: Dec 13, 2005 - 17:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Kick-Off will be at 20:00 tomorrow! Delay possible Exclamation

Post   Posted: Dec 15, 2005 - 08:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Top-Hit ended with a draw!
Targets - Skywalkers 2-2

The battle for the season´s title ended in a rather boring draw between the two follow-up teams Targets and Skywalkers. Both teams seems to be nervous - especially the Skywalkers who burned all their rerolls in the first three turns each half and got 2 doubleskulls and a few skull / bothdowns on blockless players. Also Losurez wasn´t able to use his high agility (1 out of 3 dodges worked). Although we blocked a lot more than the Targets and have some bashy skills, we couldn´t use it. A next game missing blitzer on our and a dead lineman on the Targets side are the cas to be noticed.

Skywalkers recvieved first and planned to surprise the Targets with a 2-turn touchdown try. Well, it finally took em 7 turns to score. The chance for the euqalizer before tea-time, but a blitz (one of the few lucky rolls for me) prevented it.

Targets then showed the Skywalkers how to place the ball in the enemy end-zone within 2 turns. Instead of stalling the Skywalkers responded with a 3 turn touchdown and went up 2-1 mid of the 2nd half. Another blitz for the Skywalkers! Unfortunately the important blitz move was a skull / doubleskull and the Skywalkers were not able to put enough pressure on the Targets to loose concentration on the ball-play. Cap scored in his 6th turn, leaving me 3 (without Rerolls). A bombastic kick beside the sideline and deep and a failed block (skull / doubleskull on a non-blocker) opened the winning chance to the Targets. In the end the Skywalkers were lucky enough to hold the draw.

All in all my most unlucky game within the Tortleys. The Luck-o-Meter jumped up to 50% after the last turn for the first time Smile

Thanks Cap for the match and good luck in the rest of the season. C ya in the finals.

Post   Posted: Dec 17, 2005 - 19:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Round 5 is over, Players of the week will be updated ASAP and the table scores will be sorted soon.

James (lamby16)