40 coaches online • Server time: 15:01
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Finishing the 60 Gam...goto Post Borg Invasiongoto Post GIF Guide
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Skrofler

Post   Posted: Sep 04, 2005 - 11:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Skrofler wrote:
Trees could have good use of "branches" (tentacles).

Hmmm. Dat gives me an idea.
Lots of weird shapes and things have been known to grow out of trees, right? Why not let treemen mutate.

Geez. I was just about to post this when I realized that most mutations are pretty useless on a tree. They would really only need claw, disturbing presence and tentacles. It would become a monster.
Heh! Maybe I should get some sleep.
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Sep 04, 2005 - 14:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Skrofler wrote:
Skrofler wrote:
Trees could have good use of "branches" (tentacles).

Lots of weird shapes and things have been known to grow out of trees, right? Why not let treemen mutate.

cough cough cough Shocked my god Shocked

Post   Posted: Sep 04, 2005 - 15:48 Reply with quote Back to top

well then lets have different types of trees....

willow treeman....-1 ST, +tentacles

speaking of different 'breeds', why not have differring chaos beasmen for the 4 major powers?

chaos teams could take the basic beastmen, but for an additional 10k the player can take 0-2 "Chosen Beastmen"

Nurgle +regen
Khorne +MA
slaneesh +foul appearance (more to simulate the trance such beasties might enduce)
Tzeench + claw

since it has been noted previously on this board that chaos need a little boost, why not do something like this, while adding to the flavor of the team's particular chaos diety?

just another thought to add to the vault before it becomes real...

Patton
Mr_Launcher

Post   Posted: Sep 04, 2005 - 16:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Skrofler wrote:

They could also be given regenerate, with the argument that whatever limb etc they might loose, it can grow back.

Skrofler wrote:
Geez. I was just about to post this when I realized that most mutations are pretty useless on a tree. They would really only need claw, disturbing presence and tentacles. It would become a monster.

Big guys need to roll doubles to get mutations, so unless they are willing to forfeit block, they'd need four doubles to get all those things. Also, treemen have been removed from the wood elf teams, so balance is no longer an issue.
LordSnotball

Post   Posted: Sep 04, 2005 - 16:10 Reply with quote Back to top

how about

Oak Treeman, with Thick Skull *grin*
Bramble Treeman, with Claws
Apple Treeman, with Inebriating Touch (making things up, on a roll of 6, the opponent walks around like a ball and chain guy, as he's drunk)

*snicker* and how about a Pear Treeman, with Vinegar touch, making ur eyes water, so AG is halved, again on a roll of 6!

The Congregation - Always Recruiting
[url=http://igolocal.net/badge.php?user_id=1949]Image [/url]
Eddy

Post   Posted: Sep 04, 2005 - 19:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Skrofler wrote:
Odds are no good for development since most of the first game I would have about 6 flings and 3 trees on the pitch. Try and score with that against 11 elves.

if they have no RR (because your Chef stole some) and they have to face 3 Trees, including Deeproot, i really, REALLY wonder how they can avoid being bashed by your 3 Trees. 3db are easy to set up, add a bit of fouling, and there will never be 11 elves left by the pitch. actually, by turn 4, you should already have at least a couple of KOs.

Post   Posted: Sep 04, 2005 - 20:55 Reply with quote Back to top

I resisted asnwering to this thread till i downloaded and read the changes... and well, its got its pros and cons, like any other change...

a minor change that 'will' affect us is actually on p.14. if a player is pushed onto a square where the ball is, the ball bounces. i think that excludes him from attempting to pick it up as we do now...

FF changing to FAME actually balances the game a lot imo. and increases the value of cheerleaders! *gasp*

overtime changes are also nice, only rerolls if u had em spare from the previous half... sweet!

high kick looks like fun, don't know why anyone might complain, it counter-balances the kick skill...
cause and effect, all it means is that u can aim for the corner, and magically transport ur opponent's 5mvm orc there, and let him trundle back to the front slowly...

handing off the ball of ambiguous... why hand off the ball to ur opponent's player, if it causes a turn over? *lmao* should do it one day just for a laugh

now, the best change i like is p25. All skills may be used an unlimited time per action. this will give players with dodge, sure feet etc some extra mobility.

grab should be renamed to Shove 'Im!

now, the 'wrestle' skill will do wonders. anyone played against a well-developed amazon team? blodge on almost every player? well, wrestle is ur solution methinks. it actually enbles u to pull one of them pesky zons down, so u can foul them! this will also add balance for the igh agility teams, they can wrestle 'guard' players down, open up holes in the defence, and it provides impressive variables for all teams i believe...

ogre teams with titchy snotlings should be far more balanced now as well...

PLayers now get 6 skills instead of 7, which sux. and the SPP arrangement is imbalanced imo. it would be better placed at 6, 16, 31, 61, 121, 176, which is balanced, rather than the 6, 16, 31, 51, 76, 176. *shrug*

calculating TV (u know, television!) will now be like the Team Strength that we use, can't complain abt that, far more objective i think...

as for inducements, its gonna be fun to see how this is coded into fumbbl, and for us net players, its gonna delay the game with pre-game options, making getting to the first kick-off a marathon *sigh*

Spiralling Expenses looks like a pain in the backside, and it will enable the unranked teams to play with whatever breakpoint and step size the tourney runner wants.

it also looks like we should have 'standard' and 'ranked' options as divisions. standard would have the 1,5m breakpoint etc and would have teams not exceeding 250m in potential value, unless they are very lucky, and 'ranked' would mean playing with an insane breakpoint like 5m, hence not disturbing the teams till they reach the equivalent of 500TR today... or ranked retains the 1,5m breakpoint, and we use no breakpoint on Ladder!

special play cards make it look like Jervis is reminicent of the 3rd ed of BB, and so his cards have returned. most cards are the same as the 3rd ed random/magic/dirty trick cards, and can add all kinds of fun (and chagrin).

the teams have been rebalanced a bit, all linemen types can reach the maximum 16, which is a relief for tourneys after a serious thrashing. Dark elves have been made that extra bit vicious with 2 assassins available. i'm not convinced they r worth it, but the option is nice... then again, what was the point of seperating 'Jump Up' into Spring Back as well, only to give both to the Witch Elf? Same goes for the Norse Blitzer! sorta beats the purpose of the change, but adds otions for the rest of the team...

and, one of the 'debated' differences from the board game... look in the Q/A section, last one on the left column, where it says that a frenzy player pushing back a ball carrier into the endzone causes an immediate TD, which contradicts the 'ending the action' in the endzone part on page 16. *shrug* suits me as i love frenzy...

best thing about it... no aging, and limited opportunity to pick up a niggling! who cares if a niggling means -1 to ur AV, that will mean either LOS fodder, or retirement anyway!

sorry for the long post, but there are lots of good things in here, with the exception of spiralling expences, which can be arranged under 'house rules' i reckon... a poll asking for where the breakpoint should be arranged in each division should suffice!

The Congregation - Always Recruiting
[url=http://igolocal.net/badge.php?user_id=1949]Image [/url]
Eddy

Post   Posted: Sep 04, 2005 - 21:25 Reply with quote Back to top

LordSnotball wrote:
a minor change that 'will' affect us is actually on p.14. if a player is pushed onto a square where the ball is, the ball bounces. i think that excludes him from attempting to pick it up as we do now...

you can only attempt to pick-up when you move on the square with the ball as part of a Move, Blitz, Pass, or Hand Off action. being pushed back on a square with the ball doesn't let you try to pick-up, and that's correctly played in JBB.

Quote:
overtime changes are also nice, only rerolls if u had em spare from the previous half... sweet!

was already the case o.O

Quote:
handing off the ball of ambiguous... why hand off the ball to ur opponent's player, if it causes a turn over? *lmao* should do it one day just for a laugh

you can already pass it to them, so i guess it's about streamlining. why would you do that ? dunno, there's the odd moment you'll need it i guess, but anyway, why to prevent it ?

Quote:
now, the best change i like is p25. All skills may be used an unlimited time per action. this will give players with dodge, sure feet etc some extra mobility.

but in the description of both Dodge and Sure Feet, it is explicitely stated that you can use them only once a turn.

Quote:
PLayers now get 6 skills instead of 7, which sux. and the SPP arrangement is imbalanced imo. it would be better placed at 6, 16, 31, 61, 121, 176, which is balanced, rather than the 6, 16, 31, 51, 76, 176. *shrug*

don't you think this might be intentional ? o.O

Quote:
then again, what was the point of seperating 'Jump Up' into Spring Back as well, only to give both to the Witch Elf? Same goes for the Norse Blitzer! sorta beats the purpose of the change, but adds otions for the rest of the team...

they separated the skill because it was no longer a trait. there was no reason why the Witch-Elf and the Norse Blitzer should have had only one, though, so they were given both.

Quote:
best thing about it... no aging, and limited opportunity to pick up a niggling! who cares if a niggling means -1 to ur AV, that will mean either LOS fodder, or retirement anyway!

a NI doesn't mean -AV but +1 to _injury_ per NI.

Post   Posted: Sep 10, 2005 - 16:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Eddy wrote:
Skrofler wrote:
Odds are no good for development since most of the first game I would have about 6 flings and 3 trees on the pitch. Try and score with that against 11 elves.

if they have no RR (because your Chef stole some) and they have to face 3 Trees, including Deeproot, i really, REALLY wonder how they can avoid being bashed by your 3 Trees. 3db are easy to set up, add a bit of fouling, and there will never be 11 elves left by the pitch. actually, by turn 4, you should already have at least a couple of KOs.

?
How on earth are the trees going to keep up with the elves? I've never seen trees do any good against an experienced elven coach. As soon as they all get 3 steps away they're clear. That gives them plenty of room to do their elf thing while the flings would still have to be thrown or venture out of the protective zones of your trees to be able to score in less than 8 turns.
Eddy

Post   Posted: Sep 10, 2005 - 20:13 Reply with quote Back to top

well, check my fling team, the answer lies in the CAS difference.

Post   Posted: Sep 10, 2005 - 20:28 Reply with quote Back to top

In case you havent been following discussions... the following Big Guy will hopefully be added to the Norse, which is a lot fluffier to a Mino, and looks cool to play with Smile

Yhetee (120,000 gold)
5/5/1/8
LONER, Claws, Disturbing Presence, Frenzy, Wild Animal
Normal: S
Double: GAP

Note that there has been a change in Claws Wink
Mezir

Post   Posted: Sep 10, 2005 - 20:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Starts with Claw, has ST access... Aw nice.

Post   Posted: Sep 10, 2005 - 21:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Claw is now Opponents AV = 7 and he dont start with Mighty Blow and Frenzy means he is pretty risky Smile
Skrofler

Post   Posted: Sep 11, 2005 - 14:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Eddy wrote:
well, check my fling team, the answer lies in the CAS difference.

So, you specialize in beating the crap out of lower TR elven teams with a success rate of about 40%. How practical!
I'm still not conviced.
Eddy

Post   Posted: Sep 11, 2005 - 15:15 Reply with quote Back to top

@Skrofler
yeah, i succeed in beating the crap out of Elf teams with my fling team. that's what we were talking about, that's what i proved to you. you chose to not be convinced, that's your call, but there is proof.

Jump to: