42 coaches online • Server time: 15:27
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post TSC Draftgoto Post 4,000TV!goto Post IBA Draft League
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
ClayInfinity

Post   Posted: Feb 23, 2007 - 00:12 Reply with quote Back to top

We in the SWL have had early chats with the NWL who sought us out when they started their league and between us, the rule sets are fairly similar.

We have had a chat about an SWL / NWL playoff, but our leagues are out of sync - we're half way through Season 18 and they're starting season 4 or 5.

This also means that on paper, SWL champions are perhaps too powerful for NWL champs (some SWL teams have played 100+ comp games) and that is another issue we forsee that some "champs" in their own leagues may get destroyed...

But I guess thats what the Euro Champions League is all about - the winner of the Maltese First Division has no chance of winning it but competes just for pride.

I am all for it, would be happy to be involved in the rules structuring and would like to say that if this gets off the ground, I am sure the SWL guys would be keen to be involved.

Clay
Commish - SWL
(Oceania League: Australia, NZ and Asia)
pac

Post   Posted: Feb 23, 2007 - 01:21 Reply with quote Back to top

ClayInfinity wrote:
We have had a chat about an SWL / NWL playoff, but our leagues are out of sync - we're half way through Season 18 and they're starting season 4 or 5.

This also means that on paper, SWL champions are perhaps too powerful for NWL champs (some SWL teams have played 100+ comp games) and that is another issue we forsee that some "champs" in their own leagues may get destroyed...

This is a good point, but I don't think it takes that long to make up the difference.

The TR/TS values for the current SWL top division (in season 18) are:
218/207, 227/226, 216/170, 222/216, 226/187, 216/202, 199/166 and 235/177.

Those for the equivalent White Isle division (in season 4) are:
224/202, 187/179, 205/195, 207/197, 218/214, 197/194, 187/188 and 198/193.

So there's a significant numerical difference there, but not a vast one. In fact, I haven't calculated, but it looks as though - while the SWL teams have a higher TR on average - White Isle teams may actually have higher TS overall. TR is generally a better measure of a team's long term competitiveness though.

[Edit: I make it that SWL teams have higher TR by 17 points on average, while WIL teams are up by just over 1 point of TS.]

Of course, TR/TS is not the whole story. You could argue that a team that's been around longer has had more time to develop just what it needs.

My suspicion though is that the big difference between the older leagues and the younger ones would/will prove to be that we newcomers lack the same depth of battle-hardened coaches (for now!).

Post   Posted: Feb 23, 2007 - 01:25 Reply with quote Back to top

As commisioner for Svenska ligan I have to say it sounds interesting. I'll have to speak with the coaches participating, but I think they would be interested, especially if we can run "champions league" parallell with Svenska ligan.

I don't think there would be a problem switching in teams in and out of tournaments, at least not for me and my staff.

About the sync problem we could just contribute with our latest champion. Svenska ligan has a new champion every 7th week, so we'll probably run through a couple of seasons for every "champions league".

I'll keep an eye out in this thread and will ask the players in Svenska ligan to read it.

Askrum
Svenska ligan (Swedish league)
ClayInfinity

Post   Posted: Feb 23, 2007 - 01:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Just on the TR issues... the SWL runs on TR caps for its divisions below Premier. This means that from a TR management perspective teams build and mature more slowly and I believe that the long term position of our teams is that they are solid across the park rather than a Legend player amongst rookies. This probably explains the TR/TS differences - which seem to be minor in any event.

Also, please note that this SWL XVIII Premier Division just completed Round 5 in which 305 spp worth of players were killed! All the guys in Premier have been a little bit dented... hehehe
pac

Post   Posted: Feb 23, 2007 - 02:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, one snapshot of a pair of divisions is always going to be misleading.

We copied the same TR caps system that you have, btw. Smile (Although I don't think anyone has had to sack anything to meet them just yet. That trauma is still to come …)

Post   Posted: Feb 23, 2007 - 10:08 Reply with quote Back to top

French opinions:

1-to walks in the Sun: French Armageddon opted for a special tournament format (league/cup/world cup style) and by NO WAY I would move to a standart SWL style or DBL style or svenska Ligan. We have specifics (few coaches-drop outs= killers-TR too disparate) that makes us think that we aren't adapted to this format.

I would imediately drop out from CL if this was a request from CL staff

2-We (I?) think we're able to find a scoring that allows us to send our best team into CL as a reward for success. We will allow them to refuse, thus pick the next one into our list.

3-We will follow a scoring like ATP. Thus we think we could manage to get the team ready whatever the starting time.

4-Another option: CL running while championships are running:
I am ready to give to my CL team a staff membership. Simply:
When he has arranged an CL game, he replaces himself with filler in my league, replace his CL filler by himself, plays, redo the thing in the other way after.

Both tournaments would run simultaneously!

Post   Posted: Feb 23, 2007 - 10:29 Reply with quote Back to top

I think it's an interesting idea. As stated above...should a coach be allowed to refuse his participation? Well maybe something could be offered as a bonus for playing in CL? If you look at the "real" CL in European soccer...those teams are true winners if speaking by economics. There are GREAT money to be made if you qualify into CL.

I know some will say...but, but, but...that will make these teams even stronger by giving them extra cash...well there is also the possibility that they loose their top players just by playing extra games. As is in "real" CL. So my point is this...give something to the teams participating. A few extra coins depending on win/draw/loss and at what stage the game is played. A first round gamewin might be worth +20k but a win of the whole CL might be an extra 100k??!!

Post   Posted: Feb 23, 2007 - 10:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Ludicruz wrote:
I think it's an interesting idea. As stated above...should a coach be allowed to refuse his participation? Well maybe something could be offered as a bonus for playing in CL? If you look at the "real" CL in European soccer...those teams are true winners if speaking by economics. There are GREAT money to be made if you qualify into CL.

I know some will say...but, but, but...that will make these teams even stronger by giving them extra cash...well there is also the possibility that they loose their top players just by playing extra games. As is in "real" CL. So my point is this...give something to the teams participating. A few extra coins depending on win/draw/loss and at what stage the game is played. A first round gamewin might be worth +20k but a win of the whole CL might be an extra 100k??!!

he he

would be cool but you can't give prices in U. it's an true admin/SO privilege

Post   Posted: Feb 23, 2007 - 11:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Ludicruz,

We have been running the SWL for 3.5 years and have periodically lobbied for Ranked Tourney style prizes (extra $'s, +FF, remove a niggle etc) which they easily do for ranked tourneys but for Unranked they wont allow it.

I dont know why, as Unranked is the supposedly "unbalanced" division and yet in Ranked they run tourneys in which elves get mutations... I just dont get why we cannot get prizes.

But thats the way it is and the players who get elevated to a CL format would be playing for the same reason that they play in their respective national leagues - pride.
pac

Post   Posted: Feb 23, 2007 - 11:31 Reply with quote Back to top

ClayInfinity wrote:
We have been running the SWL for 3.5 years and have periodically lobbied for Ranked Tourney style prizes (extra $'s, +FF, remove a niggle etc) which they easily do for ranked tourneys but for Unranked they wont allow it.

Another thought I had was that - if we start working together to create inter-tournament competitions - then we are in a position to lobby on behalf not just of dozens of coaches from one particular region, but hundreds of coaches (all of whom are committed to playing regularly on FUMBBL) from all over the world.

It has occured to me that it might be good to have a member of site staff whose main job is to promote and improve things for the Unranked division as a whole (in the same way that Malthor's main job is Ranked and peikko's is Stunty). I think there should be some kind of system by which a league can prove itself to be 'fair and trustworthy', and earn the right to award (minor) prizes as ClayInfinity describes.

All that being said, I think the main reason a coach would want to take part in a competition like this is for the chance to take on the best in a high-profile tournament. I think the only reason a coach might turn down a spot would be for reasons of lack of time.

Post   Posted: Feb 23, 2007 - 11:37 Reply with quote Back to top

pac wrote:
ClayInfinity wrote:

Another thought I had was that - if we start working together to create inter-tournament competitions - then we are in a position to lobby on behalf not just of dozens of coaches from one particular region, but hundreds of coaches (all of whom are committed to playing regularly on FUMBBL) from all over the world.

I love True Believers!

Nice dream...

I send you a pie to england if you succeed!

Post   Posted: Feb 28, 2007 - 05:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Like the idea. Think Synn touched on something similar http://fumbbl.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=10426

Was thinking of a formation of a governing body, like FIFA (Federation of Fumbble Addicts)
Each league out there can apply for membership
FIFA will hold tournaments like the Champions League, Uefa Cup and Cup Winners Cup
Each league will then be accorded points how well their team does in FIFA sanctioned tournaments, and get places in the following tournaments based on the previous years performance
For example, say Champ's League is for all the league winners, UEFA cup for the runner's up and other positions, while the Cup Winners for all Cup winners in the domestic league.
Any interest in such a format? This could help spark some interest in L formats, and increase interaction across the leagues. Such an endeavour will need the endorsement of current league commissioners, however, so that may be harder to come by.
Comments?
ClayInfinity

Post   Posted: Feb 28, 2007 - 05:54 Reply with quote Back to top

I totally support this and as Commish for the SWL, would love to volunteer to help out...

But we need some tools that help run such a league... things like being able to have any admin edit the league page text (why is this of all things so sacrosanct?)... being able to have these official tournaments have teams in multiple league with perhaps a bar on having one game played before another (eg the SWL Champ can play his "FIFA CL" game but cannot play his second until he has completed his Round 2 SWL game)

I dont think we need to have a common rules set (TR caps etc etc) but we would need to have seasons in sync.

I hope, like said in other threads, that if L Division has some form of official status, then perhaps we'll get a few more bells and whistles.
Walks_in_the_Sun

Post   Posted: Feb 28, 2007 - 07:15 Reply with quote Back to top

How about Federation of Inter-league (or International) Fumbbl Addicts?

So that I isn't there for no reason?
Walks_in_the_Sun

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2007 - 05:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Hey, just for kicks, you could make an all-star team for each league and they could have exhibition matches.
 Jump to: