55 coaches online • Server time: 16:29
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Making Assassins mor...goto Post Borg Invasiongoto Post Meat Grinder Season ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
PainState

Post   Posted: May 06, 2009 - 04:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Well I would hate to see the break down of the 4 qualifiers not have the same number of teams. If qualifier 1 and 4 had 64 and the other two had 32 I dont think that would be very fair for the #1 and #4 group having to play that extra game compared to the other two. But PC never really went into that on the anouncment. I would assume its all groups at 32 and then if all groups can go to 64 then off we go.

It will be interesting to see just how many coaches do apply. The format has enough IFs in it that it might attract the fringe coaches who allways wanted to apply but were afraid they would not make the cut. IF they do then we could see a really nice large major not scene since the FC from two years ago.

Post   Posted: May 06, 2009 - 04:31 Reply with quote Back to top

On the actual qualifiers I love them. Puts a lot of strategy into picking your spot, but also maybe to much thought. It will be interesting to see how many coaches dont make the cut becasue they out smarted themselves and tried to get cute with their selection.

My gut says to apply to what ever you think you have the best shot at making the cut. BUT my gut also tells me that the high TR and HIGH CR will probally be the easiest path to victory. I just dont think the high CR guys are going to go that route and the high TR guys will have some serious problems if a bunch of low tr teams TR=240 or so make it in. They just hate giving up those 5 handicaps. BUT we will see how it all breaks down.

Buccaneers are getting primed and ready for another Major run. We are feeling good and barring a set back should be in perfect shape, something that has not happened in the last two majors.

Forgot to mention: I agree that #4 is going to be loaded up with Khmeri and Lizards.
SillySod

Post   Posted: May 06, 2009 - 05:03 Reply with quote Back to top

PainState wrote:
Well I would hate to see the break down of the 4 qualifiers not have the same number of teams. If qualifier 1 and 4 had 64 and the other two had 32 I dont think that would be very fair for the #1 and #4 group having to play that extra game compared to the other two. But PC never really went into that on the anouncment. I would assume its all groups at 32 and then if all groups can go to 64 then off we go.

It will be interesting to see just how many coaches do apply. The format has enough IFs in it that it might attract the fringe coaches who allways wanted to apply but were afraid they would not make the cut. IF they do then we could see a really nice large major not scene since the FC from two years ago.

The groups could be different sizes. If only four coaches apply to the High CR Qualifiers then all four will automatically win their qualifier and procede to the main tournament. I should imagine they might giggle a bit as well Very Happy

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
Leijonet

Post   Posted: May 06, 2009 - 08:02 Reply with quote Back to top

I really like the way these new qualifiers have been set up. FC used to have a similar system before becoming one huge KO-tournament, and I have to say I've missed it. Really looking forward to seeing how people will react to these new circumstances and what kind of tactics (if any) will surface under these conditions. That being said, here's my take on the four qualifiers:

High TR: AAAAaaah, the most powerful teams will go here, making them the hardest qualifiers since the teams will be so strong!
High CR: AAAAaaah, the best coaches will come here, making them the hardest qualifiers since the coaches will be so good!
Old Teams: AAAAaaah, the oldest teams will go here, making them the hardest qualifiers since the coaches will be so experienced with their teams!
Forlorn Races: AAAAaaah, all the über-bashy Khemri and Ogre teams will go here, making them the hardest qualifiers since your team will get killed!

Leijonet -Winging justice since 6/9-08
BooAhl

Post   Posted: May 06, 2009 - 08:33 Reply with quote Back to top

I will go from Forlon to high CR with my Undeads, since Im not sure how high my TR will get in a week. It is at 185 now and hopefully rising. But who knows.
Zombie69

Post   Posted: May 06, 2009 - 16:09 Reply with quote Back to top

If i'm right, then there won't be more than 32 taken in either group, as that's the advertised goal. This is why i said that applying to the 1st or the 4th will mean a much lower chance of making the cut.

Admin edit :

Well, you arnt right.

From all 4 group pages:

The total number of applicants to this group will determine the size of the 4 qualifiers. If there are enough applicants that pass the entry criteria, we will have 64 teams in 4 qualifiers of 16. If not the qualifiers may be of 8, 4 or even 2 teams.

Addmittedly i didnt expicitly say that in the news post. But it is still true.

Zombie edit :

When you edit my post to put your own comments in, at least make a note that this is your text and not mine (i added a note above and took out the quote tags), especially if you're gonna make 1000 typos.

Last edited by Zombie69 on %b %07, %2009 - %20:%May; edited 1 time in total
CircularLogic

Post   Posted: May 06, 2009 - 16:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Zombie69 wrote:
If i'm right, then there won't be more than 32 taken in either group, as that's the advertised goal. This is why i said that applying to the 1st or the 4th will mean a much lower chance of making the cut.

What exactly make you think this? Personally I would find it funny as hell, if the number of rounds would be determined by the number of applicants.
Leijonet

Post   Posted: May 06, 2009 - 16:45 Reply with quote Back to top

GLT Qualifiers wrote:
The total number of applicants to this group will determine the size of the 4 qualifiers. If there are enough applicants that pass the entry criteria, we will have 64 teams in 4 qualifiers of 16. If not the qualifiers may be of 8, 4 or even 2 teams.

That's written on each of the four qualifier pages. It is very likely that there will be atleast 32 applicants for each qualifier bracket, but I would definitely not be surprised if there were 64 or more for one or more of them.

Leijonet -Winging justice since 6/9-08
spelledaren

Post   Posted: May 06, 2009 - 16:47 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm bringing the Botanic Garden, and I could apply to three different groups and be pretty sure to make the cut.
So which group to join?

I could join high CR, we don't know how the teams there will be, but the coaches should be the best. But perhaps many high CR coaches will apply to other groups to aviod the competition?

I could join the old teams, we don't know about TR or about coaching skill.

I could also join the forlorn races, meaning that many of the powerhouses will be out for sure.

Hmmm. Forlorn races sounds like fun...

Post   Posted: May 07, 2009 - 20:14 Reply with quote Back to top

What happens if 256+ coaches apply to one of the Qualifiers? Are we going to run 4 64 team qualifiers? Not against that, just wanted to know. And just on the hope and dream that the GLT could actually draw that many coaches to apply to the major in the first place. It would be cool if the GLT could get 1024+ applications and make it a trully titanic struggle. But alas it will probally never happen.

Post   Posted: May 07, 2009 - 20:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Nowhere did it mention an individual qualifier as potentially having more than 16 slots. The number 64 would be for each of the 4 qualifiers having 16 each.

On another side topic, would anyone care to venture guesses as to the cutoff points for each qualifier?

Mine:
TR - 250 TR
CR - 175 CR
Old - 75 games
Forlorn - TR 220 (possibly higher if there are a lot of ogres, since for whatever reason they seem to bloat on TR)

Author of Firehurler (Twinborn Trilogy Book #1), Aethersmith (Book #2), Sourcethief (Book #3)
Zombie69

Post   Posted: May 07, 2009 - 21:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Maysrill : there are 4 groups with 4 qualifiers each. Hence each group could have 64 teams. I think PainState meant Group and not Qualifier in his first sentence above.

Here are my guesses :
TR - 230 TR
CR - 164 CR
Old - 120 games
Forlorn - 210 TR
PainState

Post   Posted: May 07, 2009 - 22:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Zombie is right, I meant group.

My Quesses:
TR: 245 TR Same as the CR analysis.
CR: 156.51 (Most of the high CR guys also have high TR teams and will not want to give up so many Handis so will elect for the TR Group.
OLD: 61 Games (Most of the Really old teams are either retired or to beat up, plus those coaches have a "majors" team ready to go
Forlorn: 174 TR (There will be a fling team suicidal enough to apply and get in as the only Fling team with a 174 TR)The normal TR will be 207 for all the other teams.
Zombie69

Post   Posted: May 07, 2009 - 23:06 Reply with quote Back to top

156.51 CR is impossible as there's now a limit of 160 CR minimum just to apply.

174 TR for Forlorn is also impossible for the same reason : there's a 175 TR min for applications! Also, in your scenario, that wouldn't be a cut off point, that would just be the lowest TR taken in. Teams would be denied based on TR at a higher point than that, and that point would be the cut off point.
PainState

Post   Posted: May 07, 2009 - 23:11 Reply with quote Back to top

WOW! Zombie just slams my quesses. But I did include the normal cut off for all the other races in the forlorn at 207 so I get aleast one brownie point for that one.

SO 2 out of 4 quesses are still good, lets see how the other two work out, Iam still in the running for the best quesses.
 Jump to: