48 coaches online • Server time: 21:23
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Finishing the 60 Gam...goto Post Borg Invasiongoto Post GIF Guide
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Macavity

Post   Posted: Jan 26, 2011 - 19:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Agility for timing, pizza? CLEARLY we need an additional stat for 'field awareness'. Maybe we could add something to practice particular drills between games that could lend a bonus.....

Post   Posted: Jan 26, 2011 - 19:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Macavity wrote:
Your description means that I cannot know there is no possibility for interception prior to throwing. That would tend to limit throwing even more, and throwing is something the designers want in the game.

You would know, because when you try and throw the ball you are assuming it is going to go follow the path you throw it in. You would still always throw whenever there are no players between the thrower and catcher whenever possible. You would still know if there was a possibility of an interception unless you miss throw the ball in which case it is the end of your turn anyway so it makes very little difference.

I also dont think it would make any difference to the amount of times people tried throwing it.

But anyway this is all moot.

Post   Posted: Jan 26, 2011 - 20:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, I guess, as a player who wishes people were not so paranoid about throwing, I think the worst of them. Very Happy It might reduce the number of Diving Catch players, though.

It is moot, however, and at least the rulebook acknowledge this is an oddity.

Post   Posted: Jan 26, 2011 - 20:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes all those millions of Diving Catch players you see Image

Wink

Post   Posted: Jan 26, 2011 - 20:20 Reply with quote Back to top

@pizzamogul: Don't forget to adjust for wind direction & strength. Racial eyesight levels should also be factored into Macavity's field awareness value.

Garion wrote:
Macavity wrote:
Your description means that I cannot know there is no possibility for interception prior to throwing. That would tend to limit throwing even more, and throwing is something the designers want in the game.

You would know, because when you try and throw the ball you are assuming it is going to go follow the path you throw it in. You would still always throw whenever there are no players between the thrower and catcher whenever possible. You would still know if there was a possibility of an interception unless you miss throw the ball in which case it is the end of your turn anyway so it makes very little difference.

Not quite. It's only a turnover if the Pass action ends without one of your players holding the ball. This happens on missed passes, even without such "aids" as Diving Catch. The difference between having the ball lying on the ground, probably near your catcher's TZ, and having the ball in your opponent player's hands, is quite a large one.

Post   Posted: Jan 26, 2011 - 20:26 Reply with quote Back to top

That why i said it makes very little difference and not it makes no difference. But that still doesn't alter the fact that interception should be worked out after the throw because it makes sense.

Anyway as I said this is all moot. So lets stop here.

Post   Posted: Jan 26, 2011 - 20:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Wait, you can pass the ball these day? Radical
Mr_Foulscumm

Post   Posted: Jan 26, 2011 - 20:56 Reply with quote Back to top

pizzamogul wrote:
I think we should determine the arc of ball and the point at which the defensive player attempting the interception is standing. Then compare the height of the pass at that point to how tall the player stands according to racial metrics to determine whether the interception attempt will require leaving their feet or simply reaching up. The strength of the player added to a 1d6 roll will determine how high they can jump and an agility roll will determine whether or not they timed any necessary leap correctly. VLLs should give a bonus to the leaping roll, but I'm not so sure about the timing roll. This is of course done within a logic sequence of passing rolls.

This will be much more realistic and should be implemented at once. Discuss.

I'm not going to discuss as much as I am going to heap praise upon you. I hope you don't mind?

BRILLIANT! Finally we'll get a proper passing game in Blood Bowl! Pizzamogul a la presidencia!

Post   Posted: Jan 26, 2011 - 21:20 Reply with quote Back to top

pizzamogul wrote:
I think we should determine the arc of ball and the point at which the defensive player attempting the interception is standing. Then compare the height of the pass at that point to how tall the player stands according to racial metrics to determine whether the interception attempt will require leaving their feet or simply reaching up. The strength of the player added to a 1d6 roll will determine how high they can jump and an agility roll will determine whether or not they timed any necessary leap correctly. VLLs should give a bonus to the leaping roll, but I'm not so sure about the timing roll. This is of course done within a logic sequence of passing rolls.

This will be much more realistic and should be implemented at once. Discuss.

That would be great on a computer game where all those rolls and factors and figures are determined for you.
But that would be terrible for Table Top... a degree in physics would be required to figure out what happens... or if they could make this process easy enough for most to understand it would take 3 minutes to roll a calculate all of those things.
Passing is exciting... all those rules would make it boring.
JimmyFantastic

Post   Posted: Jan 26, 2011 - 21:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Hahaha where can I sign up to the Catalyst32 fan club???
Macavity

Post   Posted: Jan 26, 2011 - 21:32 Reply with quote Back to top

jimmyfantastic wrote:
Hahaha where can I sign up to the Catalyst32 fan club???

I'm pretty sure you could just go ahead and found it! Twisted Evil

Post   Posted: Jan 26, 2011 - 21:42 Reply with quote Back to top

it really is a stupid system; given hwo easy it is to not be grossly illogical; and downgrade that to mildly illogical for thes ake of gameplay.
Step 1; roll the pass; if fumbled, process fumble.
If it's thrown, accurate or not; then check for interception along the intended passing line.
If no interception; figure where it alnds and process catch accordingly.

see? simple.
just dont' adjust the pass line based on whether the pass was accurate or not; and u cant' intercept a fumble anymore. and it's substantially less illogical on average.
Sinner

Post   Posted: Jan 26, 2011 - 21:43 Reply with quote Back to top

What would happen if you move your pass blocker into the intended range and then suddenly the thrower missthrows... the passblocker has to sulk back to his starting square because he can't reach the new passing path?

I know it should die, but I could not resist.

Btw.: In real life my minotaur does not roll for wild animal!

Post   Posted: Jan 26, 2011 - 22:15 Reply with quote Back to top

This explains the BB passing procedure and interception rules very succinctly:
(Image copyright of Thunderbowl comics)

Macavity

Post   Posted: Jan 26, 2011 - 22:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks, WhatBall! The word "Image" sorts it out for me, perfectly! Very Happy