30 coaches online • Server time: 09:25
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Meat Grinder Season ...goto Post Borg Invasiongoto Post Making Assassins mor...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
DukeTyrion

Post   Posted: Mar 20, 2012 - 17:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Sp00keh wrote:
average intelligence hasn't moved much in 50,000 years

I think it's starting to move now, like in the film Idiocracy;

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0387808/

Dumb people seem to be having lots of kids, while intelligent people seem to be putting off having a family, or only having 1 child ... the world is doomed I tell ya, Dooooomed! Razz
Sp00keh

Post   Posted: Mar 20, 2012 - 17:42 Reply with quote Back to top

"While it may seem obvious that such differences in fertility would result in a progressive change of IQ, Preston and Campbell (1993) argued that this is a mathematical fallacy that applies only when looking at closed subpopulations.

In their mathematical model, with constant differences in fertility, since children's IQ can be more or less than that of their parents, a steady-state equilibrium is argued to be established between different subpopulations with different IQ.

The mean IQ will not change in the absence of a change of the fertility differences. The steady-state IQ distribution will be lower for negative differential fertility than for positive, but these differences are small.

For the extreme and unrealistic assumption of endogamous mating in IQ subgroups, a differential fertility change of 2.5/1.5 to 1.5/2.5 (high IQ/low IQ) causes a maximum shift of four IQ points. For random mating, the shift is less than one IQ point

The general increase in IQ test scores, the Flynn effect, has been argued to be evidence against dysgenic arguments.

A flaw in his argument of genetic deterioration in intelligence was the widely accepted fact that intelligence as measured by IQ tests has actually increased over the past 50 years."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fertility_and_intelligence#Criticisms

obviously, this conflicts with the Noam Chomsky quote about intelligence being fairly constant....
Wreckage

Post   Posted: Mar 20, 2012 - 17:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Human beings are in fact subjects of constant change regardless of evolutionary preconditions. The constant and fluent change in language is a perfect example for it.
It is a unique evolutionary condition of humans to be born without sufficient instincts to self maintain themselves.
Evolutionary we are dependend on other human beings to design a template for us we can use to survive in the world. We aren't actually born as hunters and gatherers. We have no predetermined design.
This is why we can adapt to highly technologicalised environments and accept them easily as completely normal. We can also live almost animal like, if provided the proper template in the first years of our lives.
If there is no template provided for us, we die. We are unique like that. The template given to us in the first four years we accept as truth.
Usually part of the truth is our first language. And the idea that language is absolute. We want to believe we use the language we use because it is meant to be used the way it is used. But the moment somebody uses a language in a different way, maybe then the language is meant to be used in a different way.
zakatan

Post   Posted: Mar 20, 2012 - 17:51 Reply with quote Back to top

anyway, that's no reason to have semantic mistakes in the client if we can avoid them.

Post   Posted: Mar 20, 2012 - 17:52 Reply with quote Back to top

blader4411 wrote:
someone failed because he didn't know what the word "deception" meant.

deception
[dih-sep-shuhn]
noun
1. the act of turning into a jet-fighter and blowing shit up

Thanks to the BBRC for all the great work you did.
Sp00keh

Post   Posted: Mar 20, 2012 - 17:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Wreckage, have you read the NS interview i linked? you may have to create a free account.
it's quite interesting. he's saying our intellectual capacity is the same as it was 50,000 years ago so therefore the universal common structure of language never changes
Wreckage

Post   Posted: Mar 20, 2012 - 17:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Sp00keh wrote:
Wreckage, have you read the NS interview i linked? you may have to create a free account.

Well I'm not going to create an account. But if you have another way to make it accessible I'd gladly read it.
Chainsaw

Post   Posted: Mar 20, 2012 - 17:57 Reply with quote Back to top

pythrr wrote:
This is perhaps the most petty and lame thread of the day.

This is quite a feat, to be honest! Congrats!

I apologise for stepping on your territory.

Jump to: