35 coaches online • Server time: 18:29
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Finishing the 60 Gam...goto Post Borg Invasiongoto Post GIF Guide
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Thunderhammer

Post   Posted: Aug 31, 2005 - 13:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, but in some rare cases it is worth considering as a legitimate strategy.

When your Goblin Cheaters are facing say an undead team, and he gets "under scrutiny" against you, only reason to play on would be if you really enjoyed the challenge and didn't care about losing your team accomplishing nothing Wink

Instead of playing a dull your-team-gets-slaughtered-due-to-bad-handicap-roll, you can just accept your loss and the FF decrease and move on to a real game. And yes, a cheater team is useless with "under scrutiny against them", trust me on this Wink

Ok, it was a rather extreme example with a silly stunty team, but I'm sure situations could arise where conceding in turn 1. would be the wisest option.
The_Mighty_Ren

Post   Posted: Aug 31, 2005 - 13:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Webbe wrote:
The_Mighty_Ren wrote:
Pingo wrote:
Is it legal to accept a game and then concede on your first turn?

(if you have many "missed game" players f.ex.)

Yes. And it would be incredibly, fantastically cowardly.

I don't see the cowardice in that. I see the sillyness and daftness of thinking strategic planning is cowardice though.

Well, two points.

1) Cowardice and strategy are not mutually exclusive. Technically, running away is cowardly. It is also the only fighting strategy I have ever used. Hey, it works.

2) Fantastic = good. That level of cowardice is inspiring. I can well imagine a bunch of halflings turning up to play Ogres, looking up at the looming monsters, looking at each other, then getting the hell off the pitch.

I wasn't trying to be critical. Long live cowardice I say.

Post   Posted: Aug 31, 2005 - 14:33 Reply with quote Back to top

The blasted ogre team in the Swedish league gets all of it's money from concedes so it's pretty bad that people give it to them, on the other hand it's often better than to lose four or more players.

Post   Posted: Aug 31, 2005 - 15:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Concede:
your MVP and cash goes to oppenent
-1FF
ANy player at 51SPP and more must roll a die. 50% of chances he leaves.

So it's dangerous at high TR.

ps: who would complain on a first round conceder?

Last edited by sk8bcn on %b %31, %2005 - %15:%Aug; edited 1 time in total
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Aug 31, 2005 - 15:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Wasn't it automatic FF down too?

Post   Posted: Aug 31, 2005 - 15:11 Reply with quote Back to top

sk8bcn wrote:
ps: who would complain on a first round conceder?

I would laugh and laugh and laugh. Free money and mvps just for turning up. Maybe I should do that, create a team who just go around conceding. Like a fumbbl father christmas, bestowing my gifts on all.

Post   Posted: Aug 31, 2005 - 15:14 Reply with quote Back to top

for me ren!!!!!, for me!!! I've been nice all year long!

Post   Posted: Aug 31, 2005 - 15:27 Reply with quote Back to top

sure its cowardly

so are the huge amounts of game invitations such a team receives don't you think?

it is illegal to play "recover" match so what can you do? hehe
Pingo

Post   Posted: Aug 31, 2005 - 15:30 Reply with quote Back to top

well i never actually done this mind you because i was not sure it was legal

i'd say that going thru the gamefinder procedure and all and looking forward to a nice game of chasing 5 remaining elfs or whatever i could be dissappointed if opponent just fled Smile

but i guess you are right. there are no down sides to opponent conceding really.

Last edited by Pingo on %b %31, %2005 - %15:%Aug; edited 1 time in total
sk8bcn

Pingo wrote:

wrong: illegal are pre arrangement games. e.g. agreeing on not to foul. If you start at 7, what forces you not to try to find a soft team in the same status than yours?

The_Mighty_Ren wrote:
I would laugh and laugh and laugh. Free money and mvps just for turning up. Maybe I should do that, create a team who just go around conceding. Like a fumbbl father christmas, bestowing my gifts on all.

lmao
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Aug 31, 2005 - 15:31 Reply with quote Back to top

This is for the rigt bastard thread.
You create a team with Fan Factor 1.
You go around offering games. When you get one, play to death. Kill, maim, foul, do everything nasty to injure the opponent.

When it's turn 16, no matter if you lead or lose, concede and say "I didn't care about this match, just decided to retire the team in turn one. Thanks for the game".
And if the opponent whines about his players dead, just say "I even gave you extra money, so what do you want???"

Then retire the team, make a new one (remember FF 1), and find another game.
Rinse and repeat.
Very Happy

Last edited by JanMattys on %b %31, %2005 - %15:%Aug; edited 1 time in total
Pingo

Post   Posted: Aug 31, 2005 - 15:32 Reply with quote Back to top

sk8bcn wrote:
Pingo wrote:

wrong: illegal are pre arrangement games. e.g. agreeing on not to foul. If you start at 7, what forces you not to try to find a soft team in the same status than yours?

oh. i thought you couldn't do that. if people minimize blocking and stuff and 5 vs. 5 match ends 6-6 i think referee should get interested no?
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Aug 31, 2005 - 15:40 Reply with quote Back to top

If I was an admin, I would take a look closer too. I meant, no pre-game arrangement and minimizing blocks really would look like a pre-game arrangement no?

Well if your opponent is kind enough not to do(e.g. when I play a recovery team, unless really needed I don't foul), ok, but there is a limit.

(ps: if a recovery coach says: I play but only w/o fouls, I should foul turn 16 just to remember him th rules.....well actually I wouldn't do but I should....)

Post   Posted: Aug 31, 2005 - 15:45 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't agree.

Pre-game arrangements are those made before connecting to the client.
The rules say that once you connect, you MUST play. So if I ask my opponent "agree not to foul?" in the client chat box, it's legal.
And it's legal because he can answer "no, I will foul you to death" and I must play anyway.

Same goes fot recovery games. If I find a game vs an equally beaten up team, I can "suppose" to have a soft match cause we both need recovery. If I ask him in Fumbbl chat "Elfbowl game, ok?" I am breaking the rules. But if I ask him "Elfbowl, ok?" in the client chat, it's legal. And if we both agree, it's just a soft match.

At least, this is how I see the rules. If I am wrong, feel free to tell me, to kick my ass, to send me to jail and throw the key in the nearest swamp.

Very Happy