36 coaches online • Server time: 12:42
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Blood Bowl 2024 Edit...goto Post RNG speculationsgoto Post SWL Season CI
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Laviak

Post   Posted: May 26, 2006 - 15:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Here are my 2c that may or may not be of any interest...

The SWL has been running for quite some time now, and works pretty damn well. I'd personally give the rules a bit of a shot without changing them at all before worrying about ways to improve on it.

This set of rules has been developed by several intelligent people over quite a long period of time (13 seasons so far) they may not be perfect, but they are pretty darn good. Every single one of them is there for a reason. Imho, suggesting changes to the rules without giving a well thought out explanation as to how it will improve the league seems a bit silly...

Anyway, as with any league, the tough part (imho) will building up a good community of regular members who are keen/dedicated coaches, and with this, I wish you the best of luck Very Happy

PS: if you want to argue about anything in this post, feel free to send me a PM... no need to hijack this thread any further Razz

Orangensaft

Post   Posted: May 26, 2006 - 15:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Last edited by Orangensaft on %b %27, %2006 - %13:%May; edited 2 times in total
StarBreeze

Post   Posted: May 26, 2006 - 15:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Applied!!!
Orangensaft

Post   Posted: May 26, 2006 - 15:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Montagne wrote:
Applied!!!

Welcome Smile
Rabid_Bogscum

Post   Posted: May 26, 2006 - 16:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Ive played Montagne.. and a very enjoyable game I had too.. theres a good start to the Euro Wastelands community

Proud Member of the SWL
pac

Post   Posted: May 26, 2006 - 17:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Just a note on the name question: as I understand it, the SWL was so named because that is the place in the Warhammer World (the Southern [Chaos] Wastes) which most closely corresponds to Australia. (More like Antarctica, but ...)

For the NWL, the Northern [Chaos] Wastes also exist - although some might argue that New World League (which would also be NWL Wink ) would be a better fit.

Now, there is certainly no place called the European [Chaos] Wastes in the Warhammer World. If you're drawing from that source, Old World League would be the only logical choice. EWL works only as a nod to the SWL - which is fine, and deserved, but seems perhaps unnecessary (since your sources are clear enough).

The British Isles-based White Isle League which recently started up also owes a lot to ideas stolen and adapted from the S & NWL - but we didn't feel obliged to call ourselves the British Wastes League. Smile Then again, perhaps it's just that we're not an official franchise. Wink

More generally: is Europe not perhaps too broad a catchment area for a league like this? Certainly I can't see how it needs a fringe circuit as an alternative to Ranked, when it's perfectly placed (in time zone terms) to just use Ranked itself.

Almost every well-known Australian coach seems to be in the SWL - and yet it's still of a manageable size. If you got every well-known European coach into the EWL (or even a small proportion of them, in fact), it would probably end up far too large to be practical. On the other hand, if you <i>don't</i> get well-known coaches from all over Europe, the claim to be the European equivalent of the SWL falls short ...

One last thought: if you really want this to be a genuinely European league, I would suggest French, Spanish and German (at least) translations of the group page and info. English is Fumbbl's official language, but not Europe's. Very Happy

Post   Posted: May 27, 2006 - 12:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi Pac - Your argumentation is good - I see now that Old World Legaue might be a better name for the League - I will rename the league within the next days. Smile

pac wrote:
One last thought: if you really want this to be a genuinely European league, I would suggest French, Spanish and German (at least) translations of the group page and info. English is Fumbbl's official language, but not Europe's.

My French, Spanish and German aren’t that good. But if anyone would do the translation into anyone of these languages, it would be greatly appreciated. Very Happy
Orangensaft

Post   Posted: May 27, 2006 - 13:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Done! Cool
Kong-dk

Post   Posted: May 28, 2006 - 02:39 Reply with quote Back to top

First OWL knock out cup starting thursday: Old World Welcoming Cup
Frankenstein

Post   Posted: May 28, 2006 - 13:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Annotation:

The SWL has switched to a 5-2-0 scoring system at the beginning of its 12th season.
Orangensaft

Post   Posted: May 30, 2006 - 17:25 Reply with quote Back to top

We still need coaches and teams for the welcoming cup. Each group should have at least 4 teams. Sign Up right now! - Deadline is midnight tomorrow. If you're not already a OWL member join now!

TR 100-125 Group: 1 Team signed up - Need at least 3 more teams
TR 126-150 Group: 3 Teams signed up - Need at least 1 more team
TR 151-200 Group: 6 Teams signed up - 2 more teams at least would be nice
TR 201+ Group: 2 Teams signed up - Need at least 2 more teams

All European Coaches are welcome - but you'll have to join the OWL first. Join #owl and ask if you have questions.
 Jump to: