62 coaches online • Server time: 23:04
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Finishing the 60 Gam...goto Post GIF Guidegoto Post TSC Draft
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
PainState

Post   Posted: Sep 18, 2008 - 20:39 Reply with quote Back to top

pac wrote:
First of all (and this really is a must, as without it Ranked's reputation will struggle to go on surviving), never offer such extreme gifts on the birthday again.

Well I agree that the "gift" was extreme lets not go overboard on its actuall effects on day to day Blood Bowl. I do not, never see. or hear of the B-day teams playing games except for majors and the few instances the last week of them coming out of holes. The vast majority of coaches have nevered played these B-day teams and never will. So their impact is allmost 0. On top of that the majors field the best coaches and best teams. The B-Day teams obviously give them an advantage but the majority of Majors coaches can handle the B-day teams and not just give up the minute they see they are matched up with them.

SO in the end the Birthday teams are nice to talk about, have fun with, start some flame threads on. But they do not effect the communtiy at all and the very small minority of coaches who have to pley these teams are more than capable of handling them and Beating them.
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Sep 18, 2008 - 20:49 Reply with quote Back to top

PainState wrote:
On top of that the majors field the best coaches and best teams.

O rly?

All I ever see in chat is people critising both of those things!

Just because it's <i>called</i> a Major...

Banter aside; probably best not to build them up into something they aren't. Only encourages people to start using things like the birthday more.
PainState

Post   Posted: Sep 18, 2008 - 20:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Well I would respond Purplegoo but that would turn this entire thread into a Flame CR discussion. I will leave it at this. IMO the majors attract the best coaches because they know how to play the game and build the best teams using ALL means at their disposal. And the Best teams because their Head Coach knows how to Cherry pick when neccesary, dump players when he has to and in general able to skill up his players in a meta game fashion. If that just rubs you the wrong way, well cant do anything about that except go into chat and bitch and start flame threads.

MMM I dont think I left that last point alone like I intended.

Post   Posted: Sep 18, 2008 - 21:05 Reply with quote Back to top

I think a little of what you've said feeds into Plorg's thread a while back about scrubs. But only a little; a lot of the issues at play here are beyond being a bit scrubby, and into abuses.

But hey, use and view the site in the way you enjoy it most. Vive le difference. As far as I'm aware, my bitching is greatly reduced, and I've not started any threads on the matter! I just have a different opinion on these things than you seem to - I've not tried to bitch, merely disagree! Wink
PainState

Post   Posted: Sep 18, 2008 - 21:06 Reply with quote Back to top

When we were talking about the birthday gift we left out the healing potion that was also part of the birthday, my potion was cotton candy flavor, what was yours?

Post   Posted: Sep 18, 2008 - 21:08 Reply with quote Back to top

PainState wrote:
pac wrote:
First of all (and this really is a must, as without it Ranked's reputation will struggle to go on surviving), never offer such extreme gifts on the birthday again.

Well I agree that the "gift" was extreme lets not go overboard on its actuall effects on day to day Blood Bowl.

Sorry, I meant to say 'the reputation of Ranked tournaments'. I've lost track of the number of comments and posts of people saying they have no chance of competing in - or even getting into! - Majors because of all the birthday teams.

Now, maybe this is just perception and not reality - and, indeed, your team has certainly proved itself an exception! But even if it's only perception it's still a problem. And the best way to tackle it is to ensure it's not repeated, in my opinion. There are many ways to make the birthday fun (and many have been suggested) which wouldn't provide even a potential imbalance for subsequent games or tournaments.

Purplegoo wrote:
I think a little of what you've said feeds into Plorg's thread a while back about scrubs.

That was one of the things I was thinking of when I said it's important not to attack people who are, after all, just playing within the rules in an effort to win. If we're really against whatever they're doing, we need to establish clear tournament rules which prevent it, not just tell them not to 'abuse' it too much - when is too much?

(And Purp is a noob. Razz)

Last edited by pac on %b %18, %2008 - %21:%Sep; edited 2 times in total
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Sep 18, 2008 - 21:09 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't think there was any issue with the potion. I don't think it was unbalanced. And I'm yet to use it, so I don't know!

(/Confused where that came from, edit: Ahh, ok. 'Gift' was mentioned.)
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Sep 18, 2008 - 21:26 Reply with quote Back to top

pac wrote:
Purplegoo wrote:
I think a little of what you've said feeds into Plorg's thread a while back about scrubs.

That was one of the things I was thinking of when I said it's important not to attack people who are, after all, just playing within the rules in an effort to win. If we're really against whatever they're doing, we need to establish clear tournament rules which prevent it, not just tell them not to 'abuse' it too much - when is too much?

Oh - sure - you can't just take birthday pimpage in isolation. If you are a coach that values the winning of Majors above all else, then I guess you <i>are</i> a scrub if you don't pimp, pick, engage in 'friendlies', etc. in order to give yourself the optimum chance. Even though some of that stuff is <i>theoretically</i> against site rules, none of us are blind to it happening, and, indeed, you can't really go mega-critical of the things in there that are perfectly legal, I appreciate that. It does affect those that are in it for fun. But then I guess you could say that they should have fun being steamrollered by Lewdie?

Anyway; I've no doubt you'd go on a mad overhaul if given the keys to power, same as I would. Some would say prolly a good thing we've not got them! Very Happy

[B] Majors might be the best hope in actually reeling these mass participation things in to real teams and adding a greater emphasis to coaching, but we'll see.

Anyway, enough of my favourite hobby-horse. Consider myself shutted up. Very Happy
Astarael

Post   Posted: Sep 18, 2008 - 21:29 Reply with quote Back to top

2 things,why's no-one mentioned the Eaters? They didn't play many games but they got through a lot of important aging barriers...

2nd thing, hasn't this topic been discussed to death already? Yawn.

Post   Posted: Sep 18, 2008 - 21:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Astarael wrote:
2nd thing, hasn't this topic been discussed to death already? Yawn.

Quite possibly, but we haven't, as yet (and unless I've missed it), had a guarantee that the next birthday won't be the same again (which is the minimum needed, imo). Not to mention that Christer has a history of springing surprises on us on the birthday - not that this isn't welcome in one sense, but these surprises haven't always been thought through. Even if he doesn't want to tell the whole site in advance and spoil the surprise, I hope he will discuss it with a few other people privately and think about possible knock-on effects.
Astarael

Post   Posted: Sep 18, 2008 - 21:38 Reply with quote Back to top

... Why the hell would or should he guarantee jack to you?

Post   Posted: Sep 18, 2008 - 21:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Astarael wrote:
... Why the hell would or should he guarantee jack to you?

Where did I say that he 'should'?

I just said that he hasn't done it.

And it's not 'me' the guarantee would be made to, but to everyone interested in the credibility of the Majors.
vanGorn

Post   Posted: Sep 18, 2008 - 22:10 Reply with quote Back to top

pac wrote:

Also requirements could be made of teams wanting to enter Majors, for example, that they had played a certain number of matches within the last 3 months.

Sorry pac, but I cannot agree. My Neustadt Musketeers will try again to fullfill the augury and win the Fumbbl Cup. They won't play other matches in between.

pac

Post   Posted: Sep 18, 2008 - 22:16 Reply with quote Back to top

vanGorn wrote:
pac wrote:
Also requirements could be made of teams wanting to enter Majors, for example, that they had played a certain number of matches within the last 3 months.

Sorry pac, but I cannot agree. My Neustadt Musketeers will try again to fullfill the augury and win the Fumbbl Cup. They won't play other matches in between.

It's just one possible rule which could be applied if it was decided this was an important issue.

The main thing is to focus on measures that could actually be taken rather than going after coaches and teams. Your TR there is only 202 - are you sure that will be enough to get you in?

(Nice Catchers though! Cool)
Russo

Post   Posted: Sep 18, 2008 - 22:18 Reply with quote Back to top

harvestmouse wrote:

Nope craftburn played the most at 49 and they were mostly 1-1 games.

I thought it was pml97 who played 52 1v1 games that won the race for most games played?

[21:35] <@Purp|away> why is it whenever I come to check the PC, Russo is lowering the tone?! Razz
================================
[22:59] <princevaliant> NBL has gotten to be such a dirty channel
[22:59] <princevaliant> ty Russo Very Happy

BiggieB is my idol
 Jump to: