18 coaches online • Server time: 07:36
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Borg Invasiongoto Post Finishing the 60 Gam...goto Post GIF Guide
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Greatest British Rock Band
Queen
36%
 36%  [ 35 ]
Zepplin
21%
 21%  [ 20 ]
The Who
8%
 8%  [ 8 ]
Pink Floyd
22%
 22%  [ 21 ]
All Brisitsh music sucks , bive me some ABBA
8%
 8%  [ 8 ]
Music is the food of the soul and I am deaf, full
3%
 3%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 95

koadah

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2006 - 12:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Curro wrote:
Quote:

Back in the days that that I did try to get in to it and listened to rock stations the only thing by Queen that would be played was Bohemian Rhapsody.

I can understand some people listing Bohemian Rhapsody as the greatest ever track but what else did they do to be rated Greatest ever band?

Uhmm. I can remember some greatest hits from Queen: We will rock you or We are the champions, the sound track of "The Inmortals", and a lot of good songs like, Under Pressure (with David Bowie), Radio Ga-Ga, The Miracle, I Want to Break Free... and much more. (I´m a real fan of Queen).

I do have a 'greatest hits' album that has all of those on. (I think, haven't played it in a long time). I like all those songs. I like Queen. I just don't think that they are [edit]the greatest[/edit]

When I asked 'what else have they done?' I was wondering if they were similar to someone like Bob Marley. i.e. The songs that made him great (IMO) were not released as singles and did not get onto greatest hits albums. (Obviously as they were not hits) .

I voted Pink Floyd. Of the songs I know i can't see how a Queen top 10 can compare with a Floyd top 10.

I don't know much about about Led Zeppelin or Deep Purple but this is the first time that I have heard anyone consider Queen greater that either of them.
Maybe I hang out with too many auld geezers Smile

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2006 - 12:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Emphasy wrote:
Quote:

Kashmir

?? they are danish, arent they?

Its a song from Led Zeppelin Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes But I know the band too
Rijssiej

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2006 - 12:41 Reply with quote Back to top

bah how can so much ppl like Queen??
Curro

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2006 - 13:01 Reply with quote Back to top

@ Koadah: I think that the only difference is who´s talking about them. I´ve heard lots of people talking about Queen like the best band ever, but I´ve heard too many people that simply hates them. Just different points of view. By me, Freddie Mercury had the best voice ever, and Brian May is one of the best guitarist I´ve ever heard.

Quote:

Easy. Cause they are the best. Razz
LordDanjel

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2006 - 13:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Melmoth wrote:

But for me its more the experimental things like The Ocean, Kashmir, Achilles and of course No Quarter etc) that makes them special. Ever watched the Music Film "The song remains the same"? Never saw a rock Band play like this;-)

Kashmir is probably my favourite song by Zeppelin - there's a nice cover version of that song by Lucia Micarelli, worth listening!

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2006 - 13:09 Reply with quote Back to top

From this list it has to be Floyd.

Why? Because they have produced music that has the rare quality of being relatively timeless.

Not that I mean to call all those who are voting for the Who or Zepp in here a bunch of granddads Wink , but some songs just never seem to go out of date. The other bands were influencial in their time but have been surpassed by others who have perfected what they invented. For Floyd, if anyone else has done their kind of stuff better since I'd like to hear it.

On a side note: Some months ago I heard a track where some R&B &^$%% had the audacity to make a cover to "Wish you were here" with a rap beat and someone going UHHUH, UHHUH all the time. Mad Mad Mad Mad

I don't know who the artist was, but I want them hunted down and burned at the stake.

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2006 - 13:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Curro wrote:
@ Koadah: I think that the only difference is who´s talking about them. I´ve heard lots of people talking about Queen like the best band ever, but I´ve heard too many people that simply s them. Just different points of view. By me, Freddie Mercury had the best voice ever, and Brian May is one of the best guitarist I´ve ever heard.

Quote:

Easy. Cause they are the best. Razz

Well this is the reason that I don't like the idea of changing the thread name from 'Greatest' to 'Favourite'.

I think that it is more fun for people to try to explain why a band is so great. If they do it well enough others may be tempted to give that band a (another) listen.

I do agree that Freddie Mercury was a great performer. I don't know about truely great songs though.

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2006 - 13:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Rammstein! Wink
koadah

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2006 - 13:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Cloggy wrote:

Why? Because they have produced music that has the rare quality of being relatively timeless.

Not that I mean to call all those who are voting for the Who or Zepp in here a bunch of granddads Wink , but some songs just never seem to go out of date. The other bands were influencial in their time but have been surpassed by others who have perfected what they invented. For Floyd, if anyone else has done their kind of stuff better since I'd like to hear it.

On a side note: Some months ago I heard a track where some R&B &^$%% had the audacity to make a cover to "Wish you were here" with a rap beat and someone going UHHUH, UHHUH all the time. Mad Mad Mad Mad

I don't know who the artist was, but I want them hunted down and burned at the stake.

Maybe that was Wyclef Jean. I didn't think that his version was too bad. Smile
I also don't see any point in trying to cover a song in exactly the same way as the original.

Burning Wyclef Jean at the stake seems at bit harsh to me. He'll probably end up on quite a few 'great' lists by the time he retires.

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2006 - 13:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Beatles...some 27 #1 hit songs in just 8 years, sets a trend for long hair which lasted until the early 90s, invoked a new lifestyle, and inspired many other future bands (such as KISS).

I'm surprised this group isn't on the poll. oh well, they get my vote.

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2006 - 14:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Farinroderel wrote:
Rammstein! Wink

just so british Laughing

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2006 - 14:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Britain should be so lucky........

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2006 - 15:08 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
Cloggy wrote:

Maybe that was Wyclef Jean. I didn't think that his version was too bad. Smile
I also don't see any point in trying to cover a song in exactly the same way as the original.

Burning Wyclef Jean at the stake seems at bit harsh to me. He'll probably end up on quite a few 'great' lists by the time he retires.

Burn all the rappers and similar! Twisted Evil
eyeslikethunder

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2006 - 15:11 Reply with quote Back to top

rolling stones were is the other option

There was this disturbance in the water, then suddenly this giant testicle came out and grabbed me
Macavity

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2006 - 15:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, on this list, I went with Queen (I'm sure no one is surprised). I like Zep a lot, I want to know where the Sex Pistols are. To answer the question actually posed, the answer is The Rolling Stones. End of story. How many other bands have lasted like them? My wife was sure she had never heard Queen before I playes a greatest hits album. 4 or 5 times she said, "Oh yeah, I know THIS song".

I have nothing to say to Metal lovers. Hip hop isn't much better. Folk music is the way to go folks! Jazz is God's personal favourite.

As to the mention of Oasis.... I was IN England during their craze and went to a match at Wembley (England vs. Bulgaria). "Wonderwall" played before the game and everyone sang along. The National Anthem started..... Down to about a 3rd of people.

And Finally, to the originator of this lovely thread. YOU PLAY BRIKWARS!!!!! Don't deny it! The term Anorak is a dead give away!