20 coaches online • Server time: 08:44
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Borg Invasiongoto Post Finishing the 60 Gam...goto Post GIF Guide
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Meech

Post   Posted: May 03, 2006 - 18:48 Reply with quote Back to top

I also torture myself with talk radio, and I heard a funny call on my lunch hour the other day. The guy called in claiming that the immigration is a plot by the Mexican and Venezuelan goverment to slowly invade the US, to have troops spread out across the US when fighting starts.
EvolveToAnarchism

Post   Posted: May 03, 2006 - 18:50 Reply with quote Back to top

"Free" Market (aka Corporate Globalization) = Free Flow of Capital + Free Flow of Jobs + Free Flow of Pollution - Free Flow of People.

As Always,
Evolve To Anarchism
Related Link

Post   Posted: May 03, 2006 - 18:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Meech, seriously man, we have over a square kilometer per person.....

Post   Posted: May 03, 2006 - 18:56 Reply with quote Back to top

US is full of crazy types, everything from white power to the militant model trains union, Id be frightened. Canada has 3 great points in its favour.
1. Its beautiful and big Smile
2. Its got some measure of public health care last time i checked
3. Inordinately hot women, I cant verify this, but via the tried and true measure of a nations 'hotness' HotOrNot says UK - full of ugly birds where as Canada - Full of hot chicks.

EDIT: for the interested, Iceland has a higher hotness factor than anywhere else i checked, FULL of stunning women.

There is no justice. None whatsoever.

"Hugh Mann eh? Now theres a name I can trust!"
Me Loves Futurama

Last edited by Furious_George on %b %03, %2006 - %19:%May; edited 1 time in total
Meech

Post   Posted: May 03, 2006 - 18:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Living in Maine isn't much different then Canada. Besides I wouldn't want people to confuse me with my namesake, your former head of the Department of Agriculture.

Edit: George, I had a rant about how so many Americans feel entitled. I called them crazy, funny how you used the same term Smile
Macavity

Post   Posted: May 03, 2006 - 19:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Actually, for reasons unknown to me, the smaller of Winnipeg's two universities always rates incredibly high for beautiful women. Meet an elementary school chum of mine: http://www.ruthmoody.com/imagesrm.aspx

Post   Posted: May 03, 2006 - 19:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Shadow: I see clearly your point of view and I also agree with you on some points, even here in Italy we have serious problems with immigration; but I'd like to know what kind of solution you have for this problem. Actually, when you say "if they're illegal...screw them...they have no rights, they broke into our country, illegaly, they don't deserve the same rights as everyone else" you make me wonder......here in Italy the "Berlusconi" Government made a Law (Bossi-Fini) that said that every "illegal" immigrants from extra UE countries (also the Yanks Wink) should be kept for some days in "immigrant's camps" (for identification purpose) and then brought back to their home country. Well, it was a very harsh law (that by my point of view violated some human rights) but didn't solved the problem: the immigrants (most from north africa) once in their country, come back in Italy as soon as possible and today they continue to come in Italy as they did before the "Bossi-Fini" Law. So, if you want to really "screw" all those illegal immigrants that you have in the US, you really need stronger solutions, that maybe could include some barb wires, minefields, machine guns exc......(as the good Arktoris suggested Wink)....well, theese solutions could even work (even if I doubt), but would you keep calling your country "Home of opportunities" and "land of freedom"?
Furious_George

Post   Posted: May 03, 2006 - 19:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Egads! She is most attractive....

So yeah.... About immigration policy.... Whats Canada like on Degree students with good IT skills and a love of quality beers?

EDIT:
Ironically enough, I meant that seriously Smile Its long been my plan to emigrate post Degree studies, always wondered what the emigration process was like, afaik its quite tough..?

"Hugh Mann eh? Now theres a name I can trust!"
Me Loves Futurama

Last edited by Furious_George on %b %03, %2006 - %19:%May; edited 1 time in total
hunter

Post   Posted: May 03, 2006 - 19:08 Reply with quote Back to top

I love the fact that people want to come to America for a better life- I've been to Mexico City and have seen how many there live, and I can certainly understand a desire to leave.

I love the fact that the vast majority of immigrants want to WORK, and not leech off the flawed welfare system like so many (that's a frustrating topic for another day).

However, public schooling (paid for by taxes) and health care for the poor (paid for by taxes) are administered to illegal families absolutely free of charge. There are literally millions of illegals receiving these services without contributing via paying taxes like the rest of working Americans. That means that everyone else picks up the tab, which means that we all pay higher taxes. If these millions paid their fair share, taxes would be lower. This frustrates me because as a graduate student my earnings are very near or possibly below the poverty line, yet I still pay taxes and for my own health insurance.

This issue isn't against immigration per se, but more against illegal immigration... because it drags the economy down. Life is improved for the illegals, but made worse for the legals. Is it fair to be angry with illegal immigrants for this? I suppose it depends on what side of the fence you started on.

Another issue of concern previously unmentioned in this thread is the fact that a very large proportion of drugs enter America through the southern border. Just this week, Mexico decriminalized cocaine, heroin, marijuana, and other drugs if they are in small enough portions to be for "personal use". I am very concerned that this will further increase the amount of drugs coming from "down there". If this happens, there will be more unemployed addicts on welfare (paid for by taxes), free education, and free healthcare... further hurting the economy and further raising taxes for the rest of us.

There is no easy answer, but my sense of the situation is thus:
1) If you want to come to America, great- we understand why. However, you need to do it legally for a variety of reasons... not the least of which is the fact that there are those who want to come to America not for opportunity for a better life, but because they are deluded that some higher power will bestow them with 70 virgins for blowing up part of it.
2) If you come to America, you need to contribute to society by working.
3) If you come to America, you need to contribute to society by paying taxes, which in turn pay for the education of your children and health care for your family.
4) When you follow the laws of our country, everyone is pleased. Welcome to America, please enjoy your stay. Smile

Regards,
~hunter

Post   Posted: May 03, 2006 - 19:14 Reply with quote Back to top

George, it's quickest if you marry a Canuck Smile (I'm not available, sorry), but we're pretty good with the "landed and loving it". Actual citizenship can be a pain, but we like having you in the meantime. If IT skills means actual programming I could get you a job in seconds. If it just mens"Know computers" you might have to work in a job like mine. I can think of 2 Irish and 2 English style pubs of the top of my head, and direct you to the worthwhile local beers.

A message for Fumbblers: Move to Winnipeg, and Mac will help you out (unless you turn out to be a jerk, or touch one of my little sisters, then I will cut you off, or kill you respectively) Razz

Post   Posted: May 03, 2006 - 19:18 Reply with quote Back to top

All nationalist talk leaves behind a bitter taste of the past my country went through 60 years ago..... We are all human in the end. All other things are artificial and not important.

Improving conditions in the countries may help, bust the debts they have at the world bank could be a nice start.. They´ll never be able to pay back and the money is needed there.
Mnemon

Post   Posted: May 03, 2006 - 19:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Sorry for that - as it is I know that shadows intention was a different one, and this leads to a discussion that might need a completly different topic but ...

shadow46x2 wrote:
additionally, i hear the word racist thrown around way too much....you can't be racist because you are taking a stance against someone who commits an illegal action....it's impossible

... this I just can't leave standing like this. You can very well be racist while you follow and uphold the law if those laws and the ideology behind it is racist in the first place. This is maybe the one thing people should have learned from my country's history. Even if something is a law (and be that an actual law of state, or one of culture/religion) it doesn't have to be correct.

Of course I don't know the implication of the whole situation. I don't know in which manner "the racist" remarks have been made, what people say to back it up or not - which is why I can't really contribute to the discussion - I lack the information shadow and other US citizens have, and don't know what's implied.

I just heavily disagree with the basic idea here - laws are not always impartial or neutral (and again I don't know the specifics of the US situation, I am just answering to a point that I feel is much to generic, or not truth in the generic way it has been put down. It's something dear to my heart, though, and I can't let opportunities like this to point it out, time and again Smile .).

-Mnemon

Last edited by Mnemon on %b %03, %2006 - %19:%May; edited 2 times in total
destroyer_dabes

interesting note, when you immegrate to Canada, it takes 3 months for you to recieve health care benefits. This is a time for you to get a job, get a place to live, and show by actions that you can assimalate (and prove legitamacy).

The problem with the argument that illegals take unwanted jobs is that it simply isn't true in the urban centers. Sure nobody wants to pick grapes and mash them all day, but in the city, jobs are scarce. There are no truly unwanted jobs in the city. I know that in other parts of the country most food service is done by imigrants, but in Minnesota, its usually young white guys. Actually, my cousin from texas marveled at the quality of McDonalds without Mexicans... but thats not the point. In the city, well, the liberal northern city such as Minneapolis, immigrants do not work. They just reach out there arm and recieve money. The latest scandle about imigration here is the fact that if someone is elligable for any sort of government benefit, the government will call them up and tell them so. If a person doesn't know that they are really poor than why the hell should we shove money down their throats? Its just bad buisness.
Mully

Great post Hunter

Post   Posted: May 03, 2006 - 19:25 Reply with quote Back to top

oh, and Mac, I love Winnipeg!! As a Minnesotan high school senior, we took many a trip up there for the 18+ drinking Smile Not a bad part of the world at all, good people all around.
 Jump to: