37 coaches online • Server time: 18:18
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Finishing the 60 Gam...goto Post Borg Invasiongoto Post GIF Guide
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Macavity

Post   Posted: Dec 07, 2005 - 15:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Wow! If there was ever a thread that should be hi-jacked it was this one. Question answered a way long time ago, people. So.... xlars, let's have a philosphical discussion instead. Your logic is extremely flawed. "other interpretations of that rule could be just as valid", dictacts that there is NOT objective truth on the matter, and yet you say that the admins could (even if they haven't) make a definitive ruling. You must decide whether or not there is objective truth. If you believe there is not objective truth in the matter, then it is ONLY a matter of opinion and argument is pointless, since all opinions are equally valid, as none can be closer to the "Actual" truth (since you think it doesn't exist).

On the other hand, if you think there IS an objective truth to the matter, then looking at the most obvious interpretation is a valid approach. In fact, since deductive reasoning would require knowing for certain the premise on which the rule was made, and is thus unavailable to us, Inductive reasoning would ask us to use the larger body of rules as the basis for which to interpret this which, I'm afraid, leads away from your interpretation, as it is clear that it is considered cheating to manipulate flaws in the client in other cases. I'm going to go read some Webcomics and play Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon with myself, now.

Post   Posted: Dec 07, 2005 - 16:08 Reply with quote Back to top

If the admins ruled it wouldnt matter if it was the truth rulewise, it would be the way it is. Just as is the case with the OFAB rule.
And to repeat myself. A simple solution to all these rule debates would be. The client is the rulebook.
I think I was readen out of context by you, but you write so convincing that I believe that my logic is flawed:-)

Post   Posted: Dec 07, 2005 - 16:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Oh, I purposefully insinuated all the worst I could. I totally understood you, but this thread has been mostly repeating the same points for 3 pages, so I technically dissected your argument for fun and hi-jacking. I was raised by a Philosophy professor, so when you say things like "objective truth" I get all technical. (I also have a natural disgust for the term 'equally valid', not because it's bad, but because it's connection to "ALL opinions", which makes it a universal propostion that defies logic completely). Incidentally, I can get Andre the Giant to Kevin Bacon in only 3 degrees! I'm that good!

Last edited by Macavity on %b %07, %2005 - %16:%Dec; edited 1 time in total
Furious_George

Post   Posted: Dec 07, 2005 - 16:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Pfft, truth is subjective, silly human constructs that dont work. Things are true as and when our needs dictate Smile

Oooh, me should watch less babylon5, cursed tv show has warped my thinking...

"Hugh Mann eh? Now theres a name I can trust!"
Me Loves Futurama
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Dec 07, 2005 - 16:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, admins left a hole in the rules this time.
I think the reason is that the NORMAL use of Pass Block is so obvious that they didn't feel we needed any more explanation or rule about it.

This thread is the proof that we need an admin who will either say it's cheating to abuse Pass Block, or tell SkiJunkie to add Pass Block to the DifferencesFromTheGame.txt file.

Imho this thread is also a proof that a large part of ppl finds pleasure in stretching the rules to exploit dark spots and flaws. I don't like it, but this thread is self-evident.

And no XLars... I understand your point of view and this is not aimed at you. Your logic is good enough "make a simple rule: CLIENT rules", but I'd like some admin to take care of this matter in a more direct and rule-wise way.

Post   Posted: Dec 07, 2005 - 16:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, that solution is logical yes...... But there are points for presentation as well! Jack Black in 3 degrees!

Post   Posted: Dec 07, 2005 - 16:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Mac, excuse me if I am that direct but... What are you talking about????

Post   Posted: Dec 07, 2005 - 17:34 Reply with quote Back to top

um... The rules of Logic, and Six degrees of Kevin Bacon. Two topics at the same time.

Post   Posted: Dec 07, 2005 - 17:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Congrats on 1700 posts Jan! Wink

Post   Posted: Dec 07, 2005 - 17:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

Congrats on 1700 posts Jan!

Can we start to spam this thread yet!?
perhaps the admins will lock it, and stop this discussion....
Macavity

Post   Posted: Dec 07, 2005 - 17:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, I tried to hi-jack it already.....

Post   Posted: Dec 07, 2005 - 17:51 Reply with quote Back to top

What's the Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon, was my question.,

Post   Posted: Dec 07, 2005 - 17:51 Reply with quote Back to top

We can do it together!!!
"Mac&Curro: Spam for Free" Souns good, doesn´t it?

EDIT: Ok, Ok, you can join Jan...
Meech

Post   Posted: Dec 07, 2005 - 18:12 Reply with quote Back to top

I was actually hoping that would happen. I am not sure why people would WANT to do something on Fumbbl that they wouldn't be able to do on the board game. Just because you CAN do something doesn't always mean you should. The pass block rule isn't that vague, it really isn't open to interpretation.

Quote:
A player with this skill is allowed to move three squares when the opposing coach announces that one of his players is going to pass the ball. This move is made out of sequence, after the range has been measured, but before any interception attempts have been made. However, the move may only be made if it allows the player to move into a position to attempt an interception, or to put the thrower or catcher in his tackle zone.

It doesn't say you can stop in the middle of that move if you want to, nor does it say you can move, strolling about the field looking to give assists. You are however allowed to move three squares to do one of three things. If you can't do that then you can't move. The move must be made to do one of those three things.

Funny thing, I started this thread while reading some of Arcon's game reports (Scouting for the Fumbbl Cup Quick start qualifier). I actually misunderstood the issue until I watched the game.
Arcon

Post   Posted: Dec 07, 2005 - 19:00 Reply with quote Back to top

SolomonKane wrote:
Now another interesting point comes up: is it possible to use your pass block move to get into a position to add a blocking assist somewhere? My answer is yes, AS LONG AS that final position is ALSO in the path of the attempted pass.

Finally, just because you get into position to attempt an interception, are you REQUIRED to attempt the interception? My answer would be no, though why you would not want to attempt it is beyond me.

Yes, I agree. And of course it is valid not to intercept.

The pass block move is also valid if the thrower has safe throw or the thrower/catcher have NoS. At least that is what I believe..
 Jump to: