67 coaches online • Server time: 20:13
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post A Guide to Finding G...goto Post Finishing the 60 Gam...goto Post Tentacles and Frenzy
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Do you find the term 'dicerape' offensive?
Yes
11%
 11%  [ 26 ]
No
67%
 67%  [ 153 ]
Don't care
21%
 21%  [ 48 ]
Total Votes : 227

SkatKat

Post   Posted: Sep 22, 2005 - 17:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
If what I do is acceptable to most, but not to you, then you are obliged by social contract to show consideration to the majority - NOT to expect the majority to show consideration to you.

I tend to disagree, if you offend someone, and the y politely ask you not to, then you are obliged to not offend them (ok, there is a gray area where it would offend you not to offend them, but thats another story...

In your definition, if the majority felt it was ok to beat up danish people, would that make it ok? Seriously I hope you dont think so...

Of course there is a limit, and if someone asks you not to speak any words at all or they are offended, then dont listen, but if someone asks you for personal reasons not to use a particular word, I dont see why it would hurt you so much to do as they wish.
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Sep 22, 2005 - 17:30 Reply with quote Back to top

HollowOne wrote:
...Are moderators the arbitrators of what level of offensive language is tolerated (in essense, what is or is not offensive)? Is Christer?

To be honest, as a forum mod, I'm actually one of the people who decides. Smile

I just don't like pulling rank. I'd rather try to enlighten people and give them another perspective than edit their comments.

Post   Posted: Sep 22, 2005 - 17:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Again, you agreed to not use swearwords when you signed up. Is there a moderator who could edit these posts, please.

This is not a conversation between two people on the street, these posts are visible to anyone who logs on, and people will read offensive words before they have a chance to ignore them.

As for the Spade is a Spade, please name one swear word that doesn't have an alternative word that perfectly describes the same thing? I can think of one, only.

A Spade is a Spade. Sex is Sex. Poo (or Fecus) is just that...... Black people are black people (at least in my part of the world). Many options are available, that don't offer the same offense. Inuit is the name a people gave themselves, Eskimo is what invading people called them, a term which, literally means "eater of raw meat". I'm supossed to defend my "right" to call them by a name they never wanted?

Last edited by Macavity on %b %22, %2005 - %17:%Sep; edited 1 time in total
HollowOne

Post   Posted: Sep 22, 2005 - 17:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Macavity wrote:
I'm not sure that's something we contorl.

It's something you control to a much greater extent than you think. Next time you are offended or angry at someone, stop for a moment and ask yourself why your reaction is such. It's because, either by choice or social conditioning, we associate certain concepts or values to our identity and when those concepts are belittled, we feel this to be a challenge to our identity and we become angry. With sufficient self-control, you don't need to become angry. After all, what is the value of getting angry over something as trivial language?

Post   Posted: Sep 22, 2005 - 17:37 Reply with quote Back to top

nin wrote:
It's probably oneshelf, don't allow yourshelf to offend someone you don't know without apologies, and you don't need to be friend of the offended one for that, you are free and you can be responsible.

Are you an anarchist? Very Happy

Post   Posted: Sep 22, 2005 - 17:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Actually, the language doesn't bother me in the least (unless, as said, it is directed at my loved ones). I just don't understand defending your right to choose options that are likely to offend others when there are alternatives.... it's.... weird. Anyhoo, this is more than enough for me, today. Thanks for the talk, HollowOne, others.... Bah..... see you on the pitch.

Post   Posted: Sep 22, 2005 - 17:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Macavity wrote:
Again, you agreed to not use swearwords when you signed up. Is there a moderator who could edit these posts, please.

We agreed not to use offensive language when we signed up; but who defines what offensive language is? The moderators. Thus, in reality, this means that we've agreed not to use language a moderator finds offensive.

You'll hopefully notice the nuance; it means that the nature of offensive language shifts from moderator to moderator, from case to case.

Post   Posted: Sep 22, 2005 - 17:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Macavity wrote:
I just don't understand defending your right to choose options that are likely to offend others when there are alternatives....

It's because it touches at the heart of is or is not acceptable behaviour. Not everyone agrees on what that is; if we choose to define acceptable behaviour in a manner to appeal to the easily offended people in the community, then some people will find their behaviour, which they deem acceptable, to be not merely frowned upon but explicitly forbidden.

That's the problem with your position; ultimately, it's a slippery slope argument. Imagine if you were censored or worse for cursing your "bloody" luck or the "damned" dice. An extreme example, perhaps, but you're asking for the deletion of terms used in this thread most people do find acceptable.

Post   Posted: Sep 22, 2005 - 18:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Editted out, due to agreement on basic principles with HollowOne via PMs

Post   Posted: Sep 22, 2005 - 19:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Macavity wrote:
Danger-Dan, please remove the recognized swear-words from your post, it's not helping, and it is against site policy. Thank you. (GeneralJason, even in quotations, I'd rather not see it, thanks)

'Recognized swear-words'? Which ones are those? The word 'friggin'?

Anyways - I 'don't understand the concepts' I'm using, eh? Get real.

You are accusing me of disregarding views I do not agree with.

How - tell me oh wise one who understand these conplicated concepts better than I - how are you any different?

You disagree with my interpretation of social contract, and claim I do not understand it. So you may liberally stuff you talk of hypocrisy.

I've said all I want here. I'll just repeat, because information redundancy is the only way to achieve communication.

He who tolerates the least gets to dictate all the rest of us - unless as I've tried to say, he has to take consideration to us too, and just get with the program. Dicerape is *not* offensive to the vast, vast majority of us - so it is ok to use the word.

And ...... voila ....... I'll not be told differently by anyone.

*bow*
MrMojo

Post   Posted: Sep 22, 2005 - 21:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Thisa conversaton is boring. I'll foul all of you!

Post   Posted: Sep 22, 2005 - 22:10 Reply with quote Back to top

HollowOne wrote:
Are you an anarchist? Very Happy

I would like, it's quite difficult.

...prime option to vote, allways Smile

But does that matter?
Macavity

Post   Posted: Sep 22, 2005 - 22:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Danger-Dan wrote:

He who tolerates the least gets to dictate all the rest of us

And ...... voila ....... I'll not be told differently by anyone.

*bow*

I think it looks best with the middle taken out. BTW, you did agree to site policies, or you wouldn't be posting here. You're arguements aren't fun yet, but keep trying!

Post   Posted: Sep 22, 2005 - 22:52 Reply with quote Back to top

I think this thread is way too long.
I've no problem with the term, but is it too hard to ask your oponent first? or at least refraining yourshelf if asked to? (if he's offended the term is offensive for him at least, it's polite to stop using it, imo)
...and for the forum or the chat, sometimes you can't stop ranting a bit, but I preffer writing about waffles or toast and making jockes, and then language is not a great problem if everibody is having fun.
Coocking pies on the flames... Smile
Macavity

Post   Posted: Sep 22, 2005 - 22:57 Reply with quote Back to top

What kind of Pies?