40 coaches online • Server time: 10:03
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Meat Grinder Season ...goto Post Borg Invasiongoto Post Making Assassins mor...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
What do you think of the 4 min turn limit?
Hated it at first, still hate it.
14%
 14%  [ 13 ]
I didnt like it at all, but now that I've tried it, love it.
11%
 11%  [ 10 ]
I loved it all the way.
49%
 49%  [ 44 ]
Other, stated below.
7%
 7%  [ 7 ]
Pie!
16%
 16%  [ 15 ]
Total Votes : 89

Cyco

Post   Posted: May 11, 2007 - 06:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi.

I just got to say, I was very critical to the 4 min turn rule, when it first came. (Had all kinds of excuses, for not wanting it).

But now when I have tried it, I just go to say I love it. Its really good. And makes the games faster. Though its very seldome I ever ues 4 min for a turn.

And if I have to go away I ask my opponent if he could try to use the full turn, so I get more time. And so far, it havent been a problem. I love it.

If you think 4 min is too short, the you should stay out of Speed. Its a great fun KO tournament with 1 (+5) min turn time, instead of 4 (+10) min. Total chaos.

But whats your oppinion?

Post   Posted: May 11, 2007 - 06:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Other. It isn't really 4 minutes with the bonus time the way it is.

"When you have shot and killed a man you have in some measure clarified your attitude toward him. You have given a definite answer to a definite problem. For better or worse you have acted decisively. In a way, the next move is up to him." R.A. Lafferty
JoseBagg

Post   Posted: May 11, 2007 - 06:38 Reply with quote Back to top

I am indifferent. The crying and moaning that was done has totally nerfed teh 4 min rule. It has NO effect on a game.
Zingr

Post   Posted: May 11, 2007 - 06:41 Reply with quote Back to top

I enjoy two hour games. They're grrrreeeaaattt!!!!

monboesen

Post   Posted: May 11, 2007 - 07:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
Other. It isn't really 4 minutes with the bonus time the way it is.

True.

Quote:
if I have to go away I ask my opponent if he could try to use the full turn, so I get more time

And thats why those extra 10 minutes aren't needed and shouldn't be there.
Synn

Post   Posted: May 11, 2007 - 07:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Funny thing is......

Now i find myself pissed when a coach heads into his 10 minute extra time.

But we won't mention any of the names..... even if they are using darkies in the UI. Very Happy

__Synn
Mezir

Post   Posted: May 11, 2007 - 08:18 Reply with quote Back to top

I was very sceptical at first, but now that I've tried it... I must say I love it. Even with bathroom breaks and fetching drinks and whatever, I've never been pressed for time myself. And when my opponent heads into his ten minutes... Well, let's just say I'm almost frothing at the mouth if they need more than three minutes in the first place.

The extra ten minutes are, in my opinion, superfluous. If you have an emergency, you can stop at the save game and reload anyway. Or if it's not an emergency, you can go to the end of your turn, apologise to your opponent for being away for a while, and just let the clock run on into infinity, because all you need to do is click turn.

So, I'd advocate getting rid of the extra ten minutes now, after being a strong opponent of a turn limit before. Smile

And for all those people who say it stops people from chatting in game... I'm still as chatty as before and I've never even come close to using my four minutes thus far.

Post   Posted: May 11, 2007 - 08:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, it might be imagination, but I feel like my games take longer, as several coaches take up the full 4 minutes!

It is not a bad rule anyway.

Post   Posted: May 11, 2007 - 08:47 Reply with quote Back to top

I was also a very strong opponent to the 4min turn enforcement.
And I still think still that it only works if you have an "emergency solution"

Now that I have tried, I am against the 10minutes extra time solution.
Why? Because it is indeed no use. Same as before
In games where there is NO emergency, noone will run into troubles at all.
cause it is just not possible to waste on average that much time on turns.

The important thing about the 4minute rule is that for the one complex turn where you need to blitz pass catch doge to do the final TD, this one should not take more than 4 minutes.
So we just see our opponent dropping into the extra time, but hey so what can we do? there is no action involved.
so wow its 20 seconds over the time. no action from anybody needed, so just play on.

I still prefer the stop the client button solution, available at most once per turn ( or 3 times per half or something like that).
field gets black, except for starting the clock. No action is possible.
It is true one could make a screenshort and memorize his move etc.
but that would be an ACTIVE action and troublesome.
noone really wants to use more than 4 minutes for his turn.
it happens most of the time when you just do not look at the clock and suddentlz realize "oops gotta hurry" or even just when hearing the whistle from the ref.

So have more trust in the community not actively circumventing the 4minutes enforcement,
then the passive not using extra time solution.

My 2cents.
SillySod

Post   Posted: May 11, 2007 - 13:15 Reply with quote Back to top

It's a good rule but needs some changes to stop ultra slow coaches.

I reckon that long turns are not a problem but long games are seriously anoying.

Proposed change: 3 min turn restriction, 20 mins extra time.

This means that regular turns (and total potential game time) are shorter but you are still able to have a long turn (or several) when you have loads of stuff to do.

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
Macavity

Post   Posted: May 11, 2007 - 17:40 Reply with quote Back to top

I love it!

Post   Posted: May 11, 2007 - 17:54 Reply with quote Back to top

10 minutes of extra time?
get rid of it
JanMattys

Post   Posted: May 11, 2007 - 17:54 Reply with quote Back to top

I was totally against it, and to some extent I still think it's bad because it's not a good rule for the Internet medium. Playing non face to face is something you should take into consideration when referring to the 4 mins rule, and tbh I think it's just wrong to put a limit when you've got limited (if any) control over your opponent's real needs and situation.

This said, I must say that it didn't bother me in the slightest in the games I played, and it very rarely affected my opponent.

So, in all, I consider it very stupid and wrong the theory that states that the rule is good on internet bb as well, but it has pratically no effect.

So no doomsday device, but it' was still the wrong thing to do.

Post   Posted: May 11, 2007 - 17:58 Reply with quote Back to top

I think at least in ranked tournaments the 10 minutes extra time should be removed.

Post   Posted: May 11, 2007 - 18:05 Reply with quote Back to top

I am pretty sure the 4 minute rule is the reason Fumbbl is the barren wasteland it is today. Watch out for the tumbleweeds.