20 coaches online • Server time: 06:36
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Borg Invasiongoto Post Finishing the 60 Gam...goto Post GIF Guide
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Cthulhu

Post   Posted: Jul 16, 2008 - 16:12 Reply with quote Back to top

I've been reading the critics of the new LRB5 teams, in which goblins have easy access to mutations. To some people this would be too strong to the point that these teams would be broken because goblins could get horns! I don't get it. What's so strong about goblins with horns? That they are able to get anywhere with stunty and then block with ST3? Any elf with leap can do the same.

Please enlighten me!
ibambe

Post   Posted: Jul 16, 2008 - 16:24 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd be more concerned with big hand, if it still exists in LRB5.
Dodging and picking up the ball while ignoring TZ's would make for a powerful combo.
Istarios

Post   Posted: Jul 16, 2008 - 16:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Goblins do not have access to mutations in LRB5
MSpanke

Post   Posted: Jul 16, 2008 - 16:32 Reply with quote Back to top

In LRB5 gobbos do not have access to Mutations. The P on the skill section refers to Pass not Physical (assuming that is the confusion).

The rules review for LRB6 is considering a Chaos pact team. The experimental rules are in no way tourney legal. Feel free to incorperate them into your league and provide feedback to Tom Anders and team at NAF.
PhrollikK

Post   Posted: Jul 16, 2008 - 16:37 Reply with quote Back to top

ibambe wrote:
Dodging and picking up the ball while ignoring TZ's would make for a powerful combo.

can't really see the problem with that either. I mean any +AG elf can do the same.

CircularLogic

Post   Posted: Jul 16, 2008 - 16:51 Reply with quote Back to top

PhrollikK wrote:
ibambe wrote:

can't really see the problem with that either. I mean any +AG elf can do the same.

Not on 7TZ on the ball. For the +AG bighand gobbo it would be 4x 2+ to extract the ball out of there (2+ dodge in, 2+ pickup and 2x 2+ dodge out).
SneakyFox

Post   Posted: Jul 16, 2008 - 16:58 Reply with quote Back to top

In LRB5 Big Hand only ignores modifiers from tackle zones and pouring rain. Nothing else.

There is an experimental team called the Underworld, where Goblins have Mutations access, but I don't really see the problem of having an str2 av7 stunty with horns or any of the other mutations. They might be good with Extra Arms, Big Hand and Two Heads, but that's three skills already and still doesn't protect the player itself from getting rather easily disposed.

Last edited by SneakyFox on %b %16, %2008 - %16:%Jul; edited 1 time in total
pac

Post   Posted: Jul 16, 2008 - 16:58 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm guessing they're just disturbed by the idea of such small creatures having such … big horns.

(What do you mean this isn't the 'I am Russo' thread?)
kn00b

Post   Posted: Jul 16, 2008 - 16:59 Reply with quote Back to top

LRB 5 gobs don't get mutations. End of thread, lock and delete.
Cthulhu

Post   Posted: Jul 16, 2008 - 17:06 Reply with quote Back to top

I was refering to those new teams
http://www.blood-bowl.net/LRB_PBBL/2007NewTeams.pdf
I know they are not official yet, but since I only play tabletop with friends it's official enough for us.

Underworld teams can have up to 12 goblins which can get mutations on normal skill rolls, that's what some people saw as being too strong. It's true that a goblin with Big Hand would be really strong, I too would think this is much stronger than horns. But still nothing broken in my opinion.

So yes Big Hand still exists in LRB5, it now means you ignore TZ and weather modifiers to pick-up rolls
SillySod

Post   Posted: Jul 16, 2008 - 17:22 Reply with quote Back to top

The strongest and most alarming mutation is two heads. Two heads will give their players 2+ dodges with a re-roll anywhere they dodge which gives you absolutely massive caging potential. This then combines very nicely with other skills and mutations like sidestep or diving tackle to improve the caging or extra arms/big hand for ball recovery or if you have a doubles roll (or two) then you can get a very effective horns/stripball/wrestle combo... possibly you might even mix in some guards.

What really scares people is that potentially you can have a team that is able to pop the ball loose, pick it up easily, and then cage it all within one turn... without worrying too much about tacklezones or any of that. The key thing is 2+ dodges anywhere which is extremely powerful. I'm not sure if we know enough about the new teams to make a judgement on how "broken" they are but it could well be that bit too good. Its worth pointing out that the chaos pact team does very nicely out of this since they will be solid bashers with a fantastic retriever should the ball come loose.

Note that those new teams now are legal in alot of tournaments. They are effectively official but optional. The only reason that they are optional is because GW dont want to realease any new models.

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
ibambe

Post   Posted: Jul 16, 2008 - 17:33 Reply with quote Back to top

It seems that having the speedy Skaven to break for the end zone or pass the ball would add to the effectiveness of the team.
Still, just looking at it, the team appears easily broken rather than "broken".
When vamps came out, they're ability to do a few "broken" things made the team appear potentially "broken".
I imagine this a similar case...
Soranar

Post   Posted: Jul 16, 2008 - 18:00 Reply with quote Back to top

since dauntless is a general trait horns would be decent on only 1 gobbo IMO, effectively giving you a 3tr blocker a turn

if gobbos had general access that would be crazy, a whole team of dauntless horny gobbos would be scary indeed

foul appearance was effectively neutered in LBR 5 but 2 heads , prehensive tail, spikes, those would all be decent picks

never mind the more obvious ones like extra arms, long legs, big hand, etc
SillySod

Post   Posted: Jul 16, 2008 - 18:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Soranar wrote:
since dauntless is a general trait horns would be decent on only 1 gobbo IMO, effectively giving you a 3tr blocker a turn

if gobbos had general access that would be crazy, a whole team of dauntless horny gobbos would be scary indeed

foul appearance was effectively neutered in LBR 5 but 2 heads , prehensive tail, spikes, those would all be decent picks

never mind the more obvious ones like extra arms, long legs, big hand, etc

Half those skills either dont exist or dont work in the way you've described them... you need to swat up on your LRB5 Smile

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
Skolopender

Post   Posted: Jul 16, 2008 - 18:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Soranar wrote:
...a whole team of dauntless horny gobbos...

Cool Dreamy...