28 coaches online • Server time: 15:23
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Making Assassins mor...goto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post NAF Charity Tourney ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
FeelingMN

Post   Posted: Jan 24, 2009 - 03:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, so my work just upgraded all of the ratty old PC's and is letting us have all the old ones. They have been stripped of disk drives and completely wiped. I want to hook one up to my tv and do exactly two things; play fumbbl and watch downloaded netflixes. I am willing to spend exactly nothing on this project.

So, given that info, what should I do? Linux sounds good to me for an os, but I have never used it and I am a little daunted by the choices out there. Once I get the OS on the damn thing, any suggestions for windows emulators to run the bb client in? I also need a browser and a media player.

Please, when responding in this thread be technically gentle; I am no computer genius, and I will ask some stupid questions if you reply over my head Smile
XOrkX

Post   Posted: Jan 27, 2009 - 00:55 Reply with quote Back to top

I suggest a windows xp build, uses less ram and faster fumbbl.

make sure it has 2gb ram with the old pc's, i presume all your pc's have integrated graphics?
FeelingMN

Post   Posted: Jan 27, 2009 - 02:44 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't have a copy of xp and I'm unwilling to pay for it.
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Jan 27, 2009 - 03:44 Reply with quote Back to top

I remember my work did this, and it worked out unviable financially to do it.

Your going to need an OS right? If you can't/won't pay then it isn't a goer is it?
FeelingMN

Post   Posted: Jan 27, 2009 - 05:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Maybe I'm just being ignorant, but aren't most linux distro's free? Is linux just not a good option or what?
peikko

Post   Posted: Jan 27, 2009 - 08:14 Reply with quote Back to top

FeelingMN wrote:
Once I get the OS on the damn thing, any suggestions for windows emulators to run the bb client in? I also need a browser and a media player.

You dont need emulator for any of this, just decent linux distribution, java, firefox and mplayer.
koadah

Post   Posted: Jan 27, 2009 - 10:16 Reply with quote Back to top

FeelingMN wrote:
So, given that info, what should I do? Linux sounds good to me for an os, but I have never used it and I am a little daunted by the choices out there. Once I get the OS on the damn thing, any suggestions for windows emulators to run the bb client in? I also need a browser and a media player.

Linux? Gut feeling is that if you have to ask then you won't like it.

It's getting better all the time but it seems like a total pain in the arse for anyone who wants stuff to just work.

Post   Posted: Jan 27, 2009 - 16:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Old Bugman swears by Linux, maybe PM him he might have a few ideas. For me I have my doubts, especially how cheap you can buy laptops nowadays.
 Jump to: