83 coaches online • Server time: 21:24
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post TSC Draftgoto Post 4,000TV!goto Post IBA Draft League
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Rowney89

Post 21 Posted: Jan 21, 2009 - 14:37 Reply with quote Back to top

My laptop was able to run the game just fine while I was home over Christmas, from my home internet. But since coming back to university I'm unable to play.

Whenever I try to play a match, it gets as far as attempting to download my team and the 'Java BBowl Setup' window, but I cannot click anything on it and the team will not download, thus I cannot play. Sad

Has anyone else experienced this problem? I fear it may just be that it is something to do with the university network not allowing me to play, but if there is something I can do about it...

EDIT: I left it for a while and it came up with a very long error message; an 'IO Exception' and it showed a long code with details such as team name, username, game name, etc, then "java.net.SocketException: Connection Reset"
Rowney89

Post   Posted: Jan 21, 2009 - 22:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Seriously, anyone have any thoughts/ideas?
veron

Post   Posted: Jan 21, 2009 - 22:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Not an expert at this issue, but... If you used the same laptop at home and there weren't any problems, it does sound like the problem is in the uni network. Try to find if anyone else at your campus plays in FUMBBL Smile
Rowney89

Post   Posted: Jan 21, 2009 - 22:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Possible, but lets be honest its not massively likely. Razz
Rowney89

Post   Posted: Jan 22, 2009 - 20:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Seriously, no-one else has anything to add?
Ulrik

Post   Posted: Jan 22, 2009 - 21:05 Reply with quote Back to top

I have a similar problem with my laptop while at university..
not sure what the orblem is either, but I'm starting to think it has to do with the ip-address or the uni network being a public network with different security measures blocking it, or a limit to upload download, preventing the game to start up..
Again, I'm noot sure, and this is just my guess as to what the problem is..
No idea how to solve it though..
lemf

Post   Posted: Jan 22, 2009 - 21:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Try playing from a cyber cafe or a hotel with wi-fi, If it works get 3 broadband pay as you go and try that
gl
funnyfingers

Post   Posted: Jan 22, 2009 - 21:51 Reply with quote Back to top

What is your version of Java? Also what OS?

http://www.javatester.org/version.html
Rowney89

Post   Posted: Jan 22, 2009 - 22:13 Reply with quote Back to top

I have the latest version of Java and Windows Vista, but they're not the problem, because I managed to play a couple of games whilst away from university. Its really quite frustrating that I'm having so much trouble trying to play when I only discovered FUMBBL recently...
funnyfingers

Post   Posted: Jan 22, 2009 - 22:38 Reply with quote Back to top

I had a very similar problem in a version of Vista. Which edition are you using?
Rowney89

Post   Posted: Jan 22, 2009 - 23:22 Reply with quote Back to top

I couldn't tell you which version of Vista specifically, but as I say the OS isn't the problem as far as I can tell.
funnyfingers

Post   Posted: Jan 22, 2009 - 23:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Vista is buggy though so it vry well could be. The networking is different and can deal with routers different. You could be going through a Cisco switch/router on campus and something else at home.

The editions are Ultimate / Business / Home maybe something else. I saw the problem with Ultimate, but same exact laptop, java and all worked fine when I put on Business.
Rowney89

Post   Posted: Jan 22, 2009 - 23:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, I have home edition. I hadn't thought of Vista reacting differently to a different network, rather than it being the fault of the network. Any suggestions?
Kill-Kill

Post   Posted: Jan 22, 2009 - 23:52 Reply with quote Back to top

I have heard that people are having trouble with the most recent Java. You might want to try an older version.

But you made up the reasons to fight
lemf

Post   Posted: Jan 23, 2009 - 01:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Yep I had a lot of troubel with new java, uninstall and load older version.
 Jump to: