20 coaches online • Server time: 03:10
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Finishing the 60 Gam...goto Post Borg Invasiongoto Post GIF Guide
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
darkwing2k6

Post   Posted: Jul 27, 2009 - 17:39 Reply with quote Back to top

hiya guys and gals Smile ive been toying around with the idea of a league based on the film mentioned in the title- Salute of the Jugger (also known as The Blood of Heroes). if you are not familiar with it here is a link to an IMDB (Internet Movie Data Base) review-

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0094764/

now its not practical to adapt the game in the film straight to BloodBowl so ive had to make a couple of changes but the main points are still there. here is the group page-

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=group&op=view&group=6354

its still work in progress, ive tried play testing it myself and it seems to work. now i think its time to get some outside opinions on how it plays. what im after is some people to try it out Smile whether its a standalone game or if you have time try playing vs another opponent thats even better. the games do tend to be pretty quick, maybe 20mins or there about. il not be starting the group up yet as i would like some playtesting done first to iron out any problems/questions that may arise.

if anyone does try this out any feedback will be greatly appreciated but please dont be offended if i dont use it ie. it takes us away from the theme of the film.

on the other hand if anyone is willing to join when it gets going please reply here and i'll add you to my list Smile places will be handed out to coaches that i know i can rely on first as ive been in too many new leagues that have been started just to find they die out with people leaving. this might sound harsh but im sure most people reading this can appreciate it from other leagues they may be in.

well thats enough rambling from me, any questions/tips/pointers can be directed here or via a pm and il do my best to reply asap. have fun! Smile
Grin

Post   Posted: Jul 27, 2009 - 19:52 Reply with quote Back to top

I would join the group. Because I don't have seen the movie, does anybody know if and when so where I can see it online?

@Darkwing: You mentioned only 5 players are allowed to play. How many can be quicks? And can quicks block/blitz? I guess so but didn't find an answer.
darkwing2k6

Post   Posted: Jul 27, 2009 - 20:03 Reply with quote Back to top

hi grin thx for the reply and spotting something obvious that i missed! only 1 quick can be fielded at a time. il update the rules page to show this. also heres a link to youtube showing a trailer for the film. quicks can do whatever they wish, block/blitz and even foul if you want to risk it! the absolute basic rules are that anyone can block anyone but only the Quick can pick up the ball and score td's..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6qckMHp7wU
darkwing2k6

Post   Posted: Sep 17, 2009 - 12:31 Reply with quote Back to top

*Bumping my own thread Smile*

after a rethink and suggestions from people i have redone the rules to make it more user friendly. if i get enough interest i will look to get the group started soon. please have a read and if you have a spare 20mins give it a bash in standalone mode. cya all later
danja

Post   Posted: Sep 17, 2009 - 14:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
How many can be quicks? And can quicks block/blitz?

If memory serves, a Jugger team has:
1 quick, 1 Back-charge, 1 Slash, 1 Drive and a Guard.

Their roles are not entirely clear in the movies, though they seem to have these traits/uses:

Quick, may handle the Jugg (dog-skull "Ball"); has no pudal-stick or chain weapon and as the name suggests is a small fast and determined individual who gets the jugg and runs it in home after battering/out performing the opposition's Quick.

Guard, uses a chain/ flail/ pole-flail (various configurations) to protect the quick once they have the jugg and are about to make a run for the stake. The most dangerous player on the field, who can inflict horrible damage and is also used defensively to take out an unguarded quick.

Slash, is an aggressive pudalstick wielding player whoes job is to take opposing players down. The pudal stick has a hook/crook/hammer at one end and a large padded club end.

Drive, makes the best of the Slash's work and is often used to pin players taken down. Also to generally hold the opposition at bay both offensively and defensively as required.

Back-charge, is a Defenseman who guards at the back, keeping the opposing Slash from their quick in the friendly half of the field and the opposing quick from the steak. Generally performing an anchor man role. can have a double club pudal stick.

Other than the Quick, team members may use their stick to toss the jugg, but may not touch it.

Special moves from the film:
Fish-hook pin. using the hooked end of a stick grab around a downed players neck and using the feet to firmly keep them there... as the pinner lays back at 90* to the guys neck, he has no chance of escape.
danja

Post   Posted: Sep 17, 2009 - 14:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Sorry to double post; but if you would like to give the feel of jugging, you should make it that any other player than the quick must throw the ball from where they stand and not move any further with it. As they shouldn't be technically holding it anyway...

but it is inevitable that a bounce or scatter may go to them. Unfortunately, unlike the tt BB you cannot choose whether to catch the ball in FUMMBL
darkwing2k6

Post   Posted: Sep 17, 2009 - 16:22 Reply with quote Back to top

wow! thx danja i didnt know any of that, should be able to make use of that to add fluff to the league/teams. i see your point about not touching the jugg and to throw it soonest. we could pretend that the non-quick that has the ball has picked it up on his/her pugal stick and is using that to lob it away. thx for your input dude its much appreciated Smile you interested in joining up?
danja

Post   Posted: Sep 17, 2009 - 19:03 Reply with quote Back to top

er... perhaps if the 'style of play' is thought through a bit, I'll help with any suggestions as far as rules go... and what can be adapted from whats there already.

I would say Runners/catchers (perhaps throwers due to sure-hands) were best suited as quicks
blitzers/throwers(for stick passes) as Slash
Linemen as Drive
and Blockers/Linemen as Back-charge.

The guard is a bit difficult as they would have a very solid and dangerous TZ... Multi-block and mighty blow would seem in order. I'm not sure how some teams would represent these positions.

I guess if kept to humans you could adapt it to two linemen as utility players, a blitzer and then a thrower/catcher, though the quick would only really pass to open ground as a desperate clearance.

Perhaps Ogres as Guard, as he is slow and powerful (shame only one can be recruited...).

I can just imagine a well developed quick with Block, Dodge, Catch, Side-step and Leap lol

It wouldn't be quite the same as Jugging; but could be fun with a little imagination Wink
SongCoyote

Post   Posted: Sep 17, 2009 - 19:44 Reply with quote Back to top

I love this idea!

Another interesting thing to consider: have the play occur only in the center strip of the pitch. Players may only move to the sidelines to retrieve a scattered ball and must return by the shortest route as soon as possible. OR: give the inactive players something to do: at the beginning of the game line them up on the sidelines as spectators/replacements, in the same order as the in-game players (Quicks closer to the LOS, etc.). If the ball goes out of the center line of the pitch any inactive player may try to pick it up but must toss it to their Quick the instant they have it (no extra movement allowed). Also, inactive players would not be allowed to block/blitz each other, only to pick up the ball and throw it (from within a TZ, of course, which adds to the chaos, but what the heck!)

Just an idea... I hope it all pans out!

Light and laughter,
SongCoyote
danja

Post   Posted: Sep 17, 2009 - 19:53 Reply with quote Back to top

You know, I'm not sure what would happen if the jugg goes out of bounds... its not likely anyway, as there are very few passes. Though I guess in this there may be some despite the sacrificing of any remaining movement.

I think that playing in the mid-zone only may be a good idea though, as it will make the defense tighter and the game more exciting in a sense.

I guess its one of those things you just have to try a few times until theres an obvious way to go with it...

I forgot that 11 players must be set up, unless there are only 5 on the team...

I know this seems OTT but I would have max 5 players and first team to score wins like in the real game... perhaps 1 half time sub (placed in a corner perhaps). Would give very snappy games, but depends how you want it in the end...

Teams would almost certainly be able to afford replacements between games then.

What would a team cost...??
100k Ogre
90k Slash
70k Thr/Catch
100k 2 Linemen

360k as minimum + apo + re-rolls and FF

Not sure how the kick off would work as the Jugg should theoretically be in the middle...

Last edited by danja on %b %17, %2009 - %20:%Sep; edited 1 time in total
Araznaroth

Post   Posted: Sep 17, 2009 - 20:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, I remember you saying something about this a while back. I loved that movie. Me an some friends actually played it for real, till someone's mom found out:D Whish people played that game:) I'll definetly join this mayhem.
 Jump to: