53 coaches online • Server time: 14:57
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Finishing the 60 Gam...goto Post Is there a way to en...goto Post A Guide to Finding G...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Jamerson

Post   Posted: Aug 10, 2009 - 15:33 Reply with quote Back to top

This is my Heroic Black Sea Brawlers II team.

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=582316

So far they have been very bashy in their style. Mostly scoring off other teams losing the ball and counter-attacking with a blitzer whilst the rest of my team throw up tackle zones and/or cage the ball runner.

So where should I go next with this?

Buy a lineman to give my squad some cover?

Save for a thrower + goblin and develop a passing element to my game.

Stick with the bashy element and buy another reroll?

Cheers

I am a fixer. And my services are valued.

Mateuszzzzzz

Post   Posted: Aug 10, 2009 - 15:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Replace bob with - av then buy lineman, then 4th reroll. And if any positional gets hurt meanwhile then repalce him asap as well.
Eghost

Post   Posted: Aug 10, 2009 - 15:37 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd say play how you like it best, but always have a goblin in your orc squad for the very small chance of a 1-turn throw-team-mate TD in turn 8 after your opponent scores. Get some guards and tackle. I think its way better than mighty blow but that might be personal.
Jeffro

Post   Posted: Aug 10, 2009 - 15:45 Reply with quote Back to top

MB is a good way to skill your guys up faster, but guard will help you win games and help your guys survive. Hold off on the gobbo until you have your BoB's skilled up with block and the rest of your team is more developed. The gobbo will just further increase the difference in your TR and TS...

I'd hold off on replacing the -AV BoB... he's not niggled, so put him on the line and let him earn a glorious death (no apo!)
Jamerson

Post   Posted: Aug 10, 2009 - 15:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Cheers guys.

I will hang onto -av BOB for now. See if I can get him to next skill range and see what he gets. If he DOES die - so be it. If he gets niggled I will retire him.

After the MB,s I will get guard/tackle and these players asap. I just liked getting some hitting power first to help me damage the opposition. You inflict the occasional death of course, but the main benefit seems to be almost guaranteeing removing 1 or 2 opposition players for the match through KO/Injury - against quick teams this is a big help.

I'll hold off on the goblin for now. The thrower too? or is it worth getting him? On another orc team I play, first game I played I got a 2-2 draw with both my TD's being passes from the thrower to a gobbo and a blitzer.

maysrill

Post   Posted: Aug 10, 2009 - 16:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Jamerson wrote:

I will hang onto -av BOB for now. See if I can get him to next skill range and see what he gets. If he DOES die - so be it. If he gets niggled I will retire him.

Don't try to skill him up. If it happens it happens, but you're not looking to build around injured guys (unless they are especially fun/unique injured guys anyway). If he gets cas or wins MVP so be it, but don't set up T8/T16 passes for him, and don't force him the ball to score with. If a ball bounces into his hands, hand it off to someone who can really use the spp. Only run it in if it's a matter of him scoring or not scoring at all.
Jamerson

Post   Posted: Aug 10, 2009 - 16:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, I agree with you. When I said I will see if I can get him to next skill range, I meant as in sticking him in the LOS and letting him slug it out! Nothing more than that! I am not looking to develop him any further by choice. He can just soak up the hits from now on.

If he DOES make it to the next skill range he might get ST+1 or something useful though Smile that could make things interesting Smile

bitesize

Post   Posted: Aug 10, 2009 - 19:32 Reply with quote Back to top

My priorities would be getting Block on that last BoB as soon as possible, then getting a lot of guard (especially on the BoBs). Since you've turned your blitzers into the primary hitters for your team with all that MB, I'd get some tackle on them (even before guard). I wouldn't worry about a goblin or any more lineman at this point, and would pick up a thrower to improve your offensive capabilities. Try to get a DP on one of those rookie linemen (followed by Kick maybe), since you don't need any more "conventional" players, since you have 8 good positionals and a troll already.

As far as purchases, I think your most important next one is a thrower, then another RR.
Jamerson

Post   Posted: Aug 12, 2009 - 10:54 Reply with quote Back to top

On a day of terrible dice rolling for me in every game I played, the Black Sea Brawlers played (and lost) another match. Playing against a useful Dwarf side I failed to inflict any casualties while taking 2 Badly Hurts and 4 KO's in a brutal second half spell ouch!

Happily, my players came through unscathed (Only 1 blitzer missing the next game) and somehow one of my other blitzers skilled up (I dont remember him doing anything particularly useful in the game so I was pleasantly surprised!) = I gave him guard.

So as I had 4 BOB and 4 Blitzers (I presume you cant have more than 4 BOB and 4 Blitzers in a 16 Orc squad?) a Troll and 3 lineman, I thought I would try to develop some depth to my play so I bought a thrower and gobbo.

In another Orc teams In the Academy I have had unexpected success using an Orc passing game (although I know it will be tougher in the Ranked league). I dont mind having a large squad either - I'll take the higher TR if it means I can have the flexibility to switch tactics and substitute casualties. I dont mind facing tougher teams as, playing an Orc squad and getting into the spirit of it, I shouldnt shy away from anyone anyway Smile

So have many (if any) people had success with an Orc Passing game?

Is it possible (and worth) developing a lineman as an ad hoc catcher? I am not sure if they have access to the skills, but giving one catch might be worth it Smile

My next purchase should be another re-roll (unless I suffer casualties of course)

Cloggy

Post   Posted: Aug 12, 2009 - 11:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Jamerson wrote:
On a day of terrible dice rolling for me in every game I played, the Black Sea Brawlers played (and lost) another match. Playing against a useful Dwarf side I failed to inflict any casualties while taking 2 Badly Hurts and 4 KO's in a brutal second half spell ouch!

That's what will happen when you build your team too onesided. Getting MB as the first skill on all 4 of your blitzers means that they don't get to block much. In that last game you got outblocked by 46 to 61, which means you are bound to take more casualties than you inflict.

My advice would be to focus on guard from now on, since 1 or 2 blitzers with MB are quite enough to get the damage you need, provided you have the upper hand in the blocking war.

Post   Posted: Aug 12, 2009 - 11:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Ah I see - so I have a too one-sided squad. Fair point. I guess that sort of set up was bound to come a cropper against the Dwarves, a bashy team with automatic block + thick skull. My opponent also said it was his best team so no wonder I got my arse handed to me on a plate Smile

I like my blitzers having block + MB. I wanted to use them as mobile hitmen as soon as I could, although giving them a more balanced set up is probably better in the long term Smile

Jump to: