23 coaches online • Server time: 08:17
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Fumbbl and Androidgoto Post Blood Bowl 2024 Edit...goto Post Secret Stunty Cup - ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
DP on a Saurus?
Ooh, nice idea!
11%
 11%  [ 19 ]
No, that's skink work!
40%
 40%  [ 69 ]
Pie DP?
11%
 11%  [ 19 ]
Even better, DP Kroxigor.
37%
 37%  [ 65 ]
Total Votes : 172

maysrill

Post   Posted: Sep 25, 2009 - 15:50 Reply with quote Back to top

In general, a lizardman team is short on DPs, needing to wait for a skink to roll doubles and spending the double on Pirty Player. Then the fragile little av7 Stunty gets targetted for elimination, which isn't all that hard to accomlish. Rinse and repeat.

But what if you used a Saurus as a DP instead? Sauruses have a very nice skill selection and need just about everything, so spending a skill on DP may seem wasteful, but it has some advantatges.

Pros:
-DP is a normal skill roll
-ST4 and av9 make them much harder to snuff out, meaning fewer times having to skill up a new DP
-ST4 also means your DP is useful even when not fouling
-allows doubles rolls on skinks to be used for Block, SH, etc.
-makes a saurus more of a target, lessening the risk to skinks (and hopefully leading to less player turnover)

Cons:
-Block, MB, Guard, Break Tackle. Sauruses can also get these on normal rolls. Sauruses need these.
-you only get 6 sauruses, and getting one called off weakens the team more than losing one skink

Having a 15-game-old lizardman team that has yet to field a DP* is getting a little old. I'm wondering whether it might not be time to think outside the box.

(*I have a ST3 skink that I gave Block on a doubles roll, which I felt was more useful than DP for that player, it's gotten my only doubles though, so far)
freak_in_a_frock

Post   Posted: Sep 25, 2009 - 15:55 Reply with quote Back to top

I have often wondered this myself. Obviously the Saurus shouldn't be used in a foul war style, but for those times when yo uget the ref i am sure it would be ideal. Combined with break tackle and you saurus will be able to avoid being tied down too.
Bascrebolder

Post   Posted: Sep 25, 2009 - 16:04 Reply with quote Back to top

I’m not experienced at all with playing lizzies but I guess that you do not want your Saurii being eject ever... They are way too important for that. Besides that I think that your skink would have benefitted more from dp than from block unless said skink already has some cool stat upgrades which make him worth protecting with the block skill...

Just my 2cents though and wondering what more experienced coaches have to say...
maysrill

Post   Posted: Sep 25, 2009 - 16:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Bascrebolder wrote:
Besides that I think that your skink would have benefitted more from dp than from block unless said skink already has some cool stat upgrades which make him worth protecting with the block skill...

As mentioned, it is a ST3 skink. +ST is a cool stat upgrade, IMO.
Bascrebolder

Post   Posted: Sep 25, 2009 - 16:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Should have read better... A +ST skink is indeed worthy of block Smile
Still not sure wether you need a DP desperately enough to use a precious Saurii skill for it though...
CircularLogic

Post   Posted: Sep 25, 2009 - 16:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Clearly, you have to give DP to the krox. With his added weight, he is able to inflict so much more damage!

On a serious note? Are you that depended on fouling? Even if you get the ref with lizzies, fouling every turn will hurt you more than benefit you against the majority of the teams. Because they can take out your sauri, that have consist of the front. And that isn`t what you want. Fouling with having the ref would be way to risky, even without the eye. Ejections happens 5 in 36 times and if it costs you a saurus, you team is significantly weakened.
Also you have to think about what saurus gets it. A rookie can be tied down easily, making DP alot less useful. And do you really want a block/BT saurus to be ejected? The smart foul is often no foul at all.
JHassler

Post   Posted: Sep 25, 2009 - 16:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Agree with CL for sure on this one. DP not that important on a team that should major in ball control witht he skinks and positioning and blocking with the Sauri. If this doesn't sound like fun to you, than maybe start a khemri team full of DP and join the others who can't score without removing the other team from the pitch. Oh yea... I mean, imho.
DrDiscoStu

Post   Posted: Sep 25, 2009 - 16:40 Reply with quote Back to top

as a long time lizardman coach i do not think it is worth it. you're better serving without one than wasting those precious skill rolls on sauraii.

ps. if you're a new lizardman coach you might find my blog useful, i discuss skill selections quite a bit

The Black Pearl Bounty-Board.

GUARD CONQUERS ALL!
krytie

Post   Posted: Sep 25, 2009 - 16:52 Reply with quote Back to top

giving a saurus MB instead of DP will have almost as much effect and can be applied over and over without risk of ejection (unless you count double skulls Very Happy ) and reinforces block. It's still possible to foul with the skinks if necessary, but without DP it is often wiser not to foul back and win the foul war that way. If 3-6 block-MB Saurus aren't giving you a numbers advantage already then it's clear Nuffle just doesn't like you Smile

Post   Posted: Sep 25, 2009 - 17:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Also, as soon as you get a Saurus with DP your Skinks will start rolling doubles, unless you intentionally gave a Saurus DP to induce this very effect, in this case you obviously wont get any because Nuffle knows what you think!

I was also suprised how competitive Lizards can be without DP.
My main Lizard team:
http://www.fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&showmatches=1&team_id=549718
Had a long streak without any DP.
I won 9 Out of 14 High TR games with boot induced DP absolence (Yes, thats like Cold Turkey but worse!)
while 2 of my defeats were total dicerapes (as was at least one of my wins, like most people I am much worse in remembering dicerapes in my favor) which no amount of DP would have changed.

However, without DP you get totally hosed by Dark Elfs and High Elfs, especially if they have DP while you dont.
Grod

Post   Posted: Sep 25, 2009 - 17:31 Reply with quote Back to top

... on the other hand, Lizzardmen make a pretty good team to foul with, simply because of all that movement! Slower moving teams often give up position to make fouls, but with fast moving lizzards, a succesful fouling game can be to your advantage.

I prefer to wait for a skink double, but I like the "out-of-the-box" thinking for a saurus DP. Why don't you just do it, and report back here how it went? It surely will be lots of fun, if nothing else.

Oscar Wilde
Cloggy

Post   Posted: Sep 25, 2009 - 18:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Your poll is mising the "only if you are Paulhicks" option.

Post   Posted: Sep 25, 2009 - 18:15 Reply with quote Back to top

DrDiscoStu wrote:
as a long time lizardman coach i do not think it is worth it. you're better serving without one than wasting those precious skill rolls on sauraii.

ps. if you're a new lizardman coach you might find my blog useful, i discuss skill selections quite a bit

Before i read your blog, you'll have to learn how to spell the plural of Saurus. It's Sauri, not Saurii and even less so Sauraii. As a long time lizardman coach, you should know this! Razz
JHassler

Post   Posted: Sep 25, 2009 - 19:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Those are Japanese warrior lizardmen
Snappy_Dresser

Post   Posted: Sep 25, 2009 - 19:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Zombie69 wrote:
DrDiscoStu wrote:

Before i read your blog, you'll have to learn how to spell the plural of Saurus. It's Sauri, not Saurii and even less so Sauraii. As a long time lizardman coach, you should know this! Razz

not Saurians? or Sauranians?

"I hear that shadow is a douchebag"
-Mr Foulscumm
 Jump to: