48 coaches online • Server time: 14:08
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post TSC Draftgoto Post 4,000TV!goto Post IBA Draft League
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
MrMojo

Post   Posted: May 30, 2007 - 14:55 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm actually quite terrified, I'll be shortly taking off to the land of Berlusconi, Camorra and Mafia. Will I be cheated, mugged and/or robbed blind, if I stay in Tuscany and maybe visit Florence and Rome? Or should I just stay indoors for the whole week and hold on to my worldly possessions?

Post   Posted: May 30, 2007 - 15:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Go naked and without any possessions Very Happy
MickeX

Post   Posted: May 30, 2007 - 15:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Amnesty International Report 2007
Quote:
Italy still failed to make torture, as defined in the UN Convention against Torture, a specific crime within its penal code. There was no independent police complaints and accountability body. Policing operations were not in line with the European Code of Police Ethics, for example in the requirement for officers to display prominently some form of identification, such as a service number, to ensure they could be held accountable.

http://thereport.amnesty.org/eng/Regions/Europe-and-Central-Asia/Italy
Shocked Very Happy
MrMojo

Post   Posted: May 30, 2007 - 15:46 Reply with quote Back to top

MickeX wrote:
Quote:
Italy still failed to make torture, as defined in the UN Convention against Torture, a specific crime within its penal code. There was no independent police complaints and accountability body. Policing operations were not in line with the European Code of Police Ethics, for example in the requirement for officers to display prominently some form of identification, such as a service number, to ensure they could be held accountable.

Shocked Very Happy

Does that mean I'm going to get cheated, mugged, robbed AND tortured?

Post   Posted: May 30, 2007 - 16:05 Reply with quote Back to top

MrMojo wrote:
MickeX wrote:
Quote:

Shocked Very Happy

Does that mean I'm going to get cheated, mugged, robbed AND tortured?

If you go wearing a Man Utd shirt, i can guarantee all of the above will happen to you... by the police! Razz
MrMojo

Post   Posted: May 30, 2007 - 16:07 Reply with quote Back to top

No, I'm serious, I'm from Scandinavia, I'm scared of anything south of Switzerland!

Post   Posted: May 30, 2007 - 16:42 Reply with quote Back to top

I spent 9 days in Sicily and nothing happened to me and I was with my friend a fellow american....
I worried as well...but no big deal.
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: May 30, 2007 - 16:48 Reply with quote Back to top

MrMojo wrote:
Will I be cheated, mugged and/or robbed blind, if I stay in Tuscany and maybe visit Florence and Rome? Or should I just stay indoors for the whole week and hold on to my worldly possessions?

While it was a long time ago, my memories of Tuscany are quite positive. Have a few simple phrases ready and try to be at least a tiny bit respectful and you should find that people are generally going to be friendly and more than happy to take your tourist dollars in a legally and morally acceptable fashion.

Florence is more than a little bit touristy, but at no point did I feel really threatened in any way - and I'm usually a pretty suspicious sort of guy. I recall doing a lot of wandering around at night without the slightest hint of a problem. I can imagine there are some pickpockets around Il Duomo and the Ponte Veccio (did I get those right? Been a long time), but I've never heard of it being a common issue.

Out in the countryside, you get into 'Chiantishire' (expect to find a lot of British tourists). The smaller towns are even more welcoming and friendly. The closest thing I can recall to any sort of shady activity was the roadside hookers - which is really only something you have to deal with if you choose to stop. No, their cars have not broken down and no, they do not need roadside assistance.

Sadly, all I know of Rome is the airport. I'll leave that to someone else to cover.

All that was intended just to put your mind at ease. If you're even remotely mindful of your surroundings, then you shouldn't have any problems. Take a deep breath then go and enjoy yourself.

Post   Posted: May 31, 2007 - 13:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the advice, Bad, I'll be sure to enjoy the trip with my wife's phrase book and a few Italian words we know. Smile

What I really was worried about were the pickpockets in bigger cities, but I guess they're everywhere these days, if you're not careful enough. The countryside should be lovely though.

Post   Posted: May 31, 2007 - 15:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Just some advices by a tuscan indigenous: 1) if you want to be friendly with locals, don't talk about Berlusconi, since here is not welcome; Tuscany is the italian region with the strongest post-communist parties (reaching more than 60% of the population) 2) in Florence avoid to talk about Juventus FC, since there is a bitter rivalry between Juventus and the local football team Fiorentina 3) don't miss the "bistecca alla fiorentina" accompanied with local white beans and a good bottle of red wine 4) If you have enough time don't miss Lucca; maybe it's not the most known of the Tuscan cities but it's really charming

Enjoy the trip and please make a report of it! Smile
SnakeSanders

Post   Posted: May 31, 2007 - 17:37 Reply with quote Back to top

I think you should visit JanMattys! and then Gary_Gygax, make a mini competition out of it to see how many fumbblers you can meet!
WiNG

Post   Posted: May 31, 2007 - 17:38 Reply with quote Back to top

erm... two?
MrMojo

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2007 - 18:37 Reply with quote Back to top

I'll be sure to cheer for Fiorentina everywhere I go! I'm leaving tomorrow morning, if you don't hear anything from until next sunday the 10th, call the police! I'm probably kidnapped by British ManU supporters.

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2007 - 22:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Did I know you were married?

Anywa, know a few people who have done that trip recently, no scares. The banks are crazy secure though, apparently....

Post   Posted: Jun 10, 2007 - 21:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, I think you did, Mac. Wondeful trip, didn't get mugged, now tired and in a flu. Great. Tell you all the details later. Took some fun pictures of italian engrish, maybe I'll share Smile

Jump to: