30 coaches online • Server time: 08:54
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Designer's Comm...goto Post Why did GW nerf guar...goto Post Request to Maintain ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Aramis1781

Post   Posted: Oct 27, 2013 - 22:55 Reply with quote Back to top

ISL is a standard league format competition with the champion being crowned by topping the table at the end of league play. The league has a light RP element and is focused on the traditional races of the Old World Warhammer universe although exceptions are made if they do not upset the overall balance. Games are tentatively scheduled for Sunday to maintain a manageable pace that allows for opponent scouting, although the weekly fixtures may be played on any date agreed upon by the respective coaches.

My basic idea is to help creatte a good competition that moves at a reasonable pace (weekly) for new coaches who want a structured league but haven't yet developed their skills enough to have a go in one of the more established leagues. I am shooting for an 8 team league with a round robin 7 game game schedule for the inaugural season with the possibility of expansion to include a lower division in the future. We will take the first 7 applications for season 1, join today!
Diddyboy

Post   Posted: Oct 28, 2013 - 09:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Sounds like a simple fun legue that i would love to join except that im not a new and inexperianced coach. If you need filler later on its just to contact me
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Oct 28, 2013 - 09:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Why don't you contact Koadah and see if he'd run it under the 145 umbrella? Before you undertake this though, you have to be sure you're committed to running it.

Running leagues gets a bit stressful when coaches don't do what they suppose to or let you know what's going on. I think you'll have to be committed to running a progressive league like this for at least a year, which is a big undertaking. Leagues like this can literally sap the enthusiasm you had for the idea, until you detest it yourself.

The biggest problem however is dealing with new coaches. They can be a total pain. You WILL have a lot of dropouts. With newer coaches this could be as high as 80% per season (I kid you not) and I would expect a % higher than 40%. So I think it's going to be tough on you to keep it going. I certainly wouldn't take on something like this, however run well it can only be a benefit to the community.

This will have a major impact in a fixed round robin division, so make preparations to deal with that. Anyway contact Koadah, he'll be able to give you some advice at the very least.
Aramis1781

Post   Posted: Oct 28, 2013 - 12:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the tips harvestmouse, I will reach out to Koadah. I expected there would be some challenges, particularly trying to focus on newer players. But being a newer guy myself I figured there may be a niche of rookie coaches who would enjoy a structured competition giving them a chance to get better but while also not expecting to get their heads beat in like they would in a more established league.
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Oct 28, 2013 - 12:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Well that's what 145 partly does, but also for coaches with low win records.

Koadah doesn't run anything so tight. He does short cups and open round robins, this means there is less commitment, shorter competitions and disruptions have less of an impact (tailored for new coaches).

I ran a league where I had a division aimed at 145 club type members. This was a very short fixed league of 3 game division, plus another 3 game division. The dropout rate even then was huge.

So therefore I would only recommend open round robin format for newer coaches, in which case this is what 145 club is doing on a regular basis anyway.

One thing newer coaches could do with are 'Smack' style format competitions. I.e. an instant cup run on an evening. The only problem with these is that IRC is being used less and less, particularly with new members. So organising them is difficult.
Throweck

Post   Posted: Oct 28, 2013 - 13:14 Reply with quote Back to top

145 FTW!!

That's where I started and it helped. Definitely get in touch with Koadah as HM has suggested. Not only a good league but a top coach. I agree with HM with taking on the organisation of a league. It can be time consuming and frustrating (coaches dropping out, etc.), but, it is also very rewarding if it is successful.

My suggestion would be to join 145 club for a season or two then see how you want to craft your league.

Post   Posted: Oct 29, 2013 - 12:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, all the same i'll leave it here and if we get 7 coaches to sign up we will give it a shot. I think its worth a try.
 Jump to: