23 coaches online • Server time: 01:40
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Blood Bowl 2024 Edit...goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...goto Post RNG speculations
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
PurpleChest

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2010 - 11:55
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

well, here we are with spring sprung and the UI grinding towards a conclusion, and it time i turned my attention to the GLT.

So, the second most prestigious Fumbbl Tournament is nearly upon us, last year it ran well, and so no major changes are expected. The maximum of three games between qualifying and finals will be in use along with all other official rules, but it is in the catagories that i am inviting feedback.

Last year we had 'High CR', 'High TR', 'No. Games played' and 'Forlorn Races' as the 4 entry criteria.

It was always my intention to change the catagories each year. with at least one changing. but last years format seemed to catch the publics imagination, with forlorn races, the one i intended to be a one year wonder, becoming a popular source of fluff and speculation. I am also aware in a democracy the 'High CR' probably wouldn't survive any vote to exclude one.

Also some of the other ideas for groups (Instant start swiss style, high FF, high Gold, Teams with 2/3rds wins, teams with at least 1 other title fro official tourneys) are hard to administrate.

So, should i just run the same 4 entry criteria again?

If not, what should change? and to what?

NB: The standard warnings should be seen as applying, that this ISNT a democracy, and i shall ultimately do what i think is right and not be bound (though maybe influenced) by this thread

Last edited by PurpleChest on %b %10, %2010 - %00:%May; edited 2 times in total
Woodstock

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2010 - 11:56 Reply with quote Back to top

I would stick to the standard four.
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2010 - 12:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Me too.

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2010 - 12:21 Reply with quote Back to top

I thought it was a good mix with plenty of entries to all. So unless you're confident something will be better...
Leijonet

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2010 - 12:41 Reply with quote Back to top

While mixing things up has its advantages I personally really liked all four categories, and getting a new one would mean excluding one of them. I'd say give it another year and see afterwards if there's anything that should change.

Leijonet -Winging justice since 6/9-08
CircularLogic

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2010 - 13:06 Reply with quote Back to top

I would suggest making a category a swiss qualifier, where the top 4 team advance.
nazgob

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2010 - 13:17 Reply with quote Back to top

i may be stupid, but what are the forlorn races?
maysrill

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2010 - 13:24 Reply with quote Back to top

nazgob wrote:
i may be stupid, but what are the forlorn races?

"Forlorn" was the euphemism for races that have never won a major.

IIRC it's Lizards, Humans, Vampires, Halflings, Goblins, Ogres, Khemri, Norse. I may have forgotten one or two, but you get the idea.

BTW, my vote is for last year's system. That may be a great permanent setup for the GLT, so long as the forlorn races don't get their act together and win a few majors (lizards and humans have both had respectable runs lately).
Malmir

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2010 - 13:41 Reply with quote Back to top

What is a swiss qualifier?

CircularLogic wrote:
I would suggest making a category a swiss qualifier, where the top 4 team advance.
nazgob

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2010 - 13:46 Reply with quote Back to top

woo!

i dont think pro elves have ever won a major either.

that means an easy run in for my pro elves right?
skeletor

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2010 - 13:58 Reply with quote Back to top

There is no easy run in for at TR164 team
CircularLogic

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2010 - 13:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Malmir wrote:
What is a swiss qualifier?

CircularLogic wrote:

This qualifier would have all the teams of one category. Those teams are first randomly matched. They all play their match (no overtime) and are then sorted by win/tie/loss points with TD dif etc. as a tie breaker. Then the first place is paired with the second - if those teams have played already, then the next lower place is chosen. In this fashion all the matchups are generated, by matching the highest rank against the next highest available team.
This goes for a number of rounds (e.g. 5) and after that you have a ranking of all participants and the top 4 qualify.
DukeTyrion

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2010 - 14:10 Reply with quote Back to top

High CR is the only category I see no need for.

It's nice to see the old teams (no Games played), the forlorn races were an excellent idea and the high CR teams are what the majors were all about. From what I remember of last year all most of the high CR coaches had already applied in one of the other categories anyway.

So, I would suggest either replacing the high CR category, or just keep all 4 as they are.
maysrill

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2010 - 14:20 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd agree that if one were to be replaced, high CR would be the one that's least popular. I think most high CR coaches can manage to get in pretty easily via one of the other categories.

If it were to be replaced, a couple ideas:

FCFS (first come, first served): jump in early with any application (maybe a TR floor) and just take them in order they are received. Bonus: ought to be fairly easy on the tourney staff to administrate

Fewest games played. You need a powerful team to have a chance in a major, but how few games can you get them into shape in? This one might need a TR floor as well.

Star Power. Teams with the most total spp on the roster (not the same as high TR, because of racial player costs, and cash/FF/rrs/etc not counting).

(please note: I'm plenty happy to just keep high CR as is)

Author of Firehurler (Twinborn Trilogy Book #1), Aethersmith (Book #2), Sourcethief (Book #3)
pizzamogul

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2010 - 14:48 Reply with quote Back to top

High CR is the only one that doesn't focus on the team. I would offer if that one is going to be replaced it should be that one.

Quote:
My suggestion would be a "Hard Knocks" category: Click on the team's "show stats" tab, look at the "total" row at the bottom, and take the teams with the smallest (most negative) Average TS Differential.

Best Winning Percentage or Highest Fan Factor could also be categories to replace High CR.

Jump to: