25 coaches online • Server time: 09:18
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Making Assassins mor...goto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post NAF Charity Tourney ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Torkel_Barbaren

Post   Posted: Feb 09, 2004 - 23:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, I have no evidence that this actually is true but i've heard that others have seen a very large number of the result 1 on the D6 dice.

I've had some really weird things happening lately, stuff that shouldnt happen, elves failing dodge first thing 3-4 turns in a row, go for it failing 3 turn in a row with rerolls.

Im no mathematical genius, but may there could be a small truth in this? I thought that maybe the calculator could have a value from 0-6 and not from 1-6, this would increase the chance of the value 1 alot.

Even if this also applies to the D8 dice (value from 0-8 that is) used for scatter the chance for a 1 result wouldnt be as high, and none would notice it as much as the 1's on the D6 rolls since scatter is less important for the outcome of a game (yes in most cases atleast).

(Ok, I don't exactly know how the calculator works, but my guess is that it randomizes a value from 0.0-6.0, everything below 1.5 counts as one, a value from 1.6-2.5 is two, 2.6-3.5 is three, etc.)

Now, please don't take me for a whiner, im not. I'm most likely wrong but it could also be right. The best thing would be if people could come with their views on this, it would be nice to hear what others have experienced.

And I could be very very wrong. Don't just flame me to death, just correct me Smile
BunnyPuncher

Post   Posted: Feb 09, 2004 - 23:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Some geek did an analysis of this a few weeks ago.. 1s are no more common than anything else.. i'd post the link..

but i'm lazy

Post   Posted: Feb 09, 2004 - 23:38 Reply with quote Back to top

If you want to check, open up your 'messages.log' file after any match. This gets rewritten each match, so you can't dig up an old one unless you save it ahead of time.

Scroll down almost to the end and find the "GAME OVER" line. Just above that, you'll see something like this:
Code:

D6: 1(96) 2(94) 3(98) 4(101) 5(103) 6(91) Total(583)
D8: 1(4) 2(0) 3(3) 4(3) 5(3) 6(1) 7(1) 8(2) Total(17)

That's the total of each number on each and every die roll.

You will see some variation between each number, as above. That is the definition of randomness. This is a good thing, no?

The more rolls you accumulate, the smaller the difference (percentage wise). Take one game file, such as the one above and you have about a 10% spread. Pretty even. Take 10 game files and you'll probably have a 2-3% spread.

If you don't believe me, try it yourself. Make sure to play against me and dodge a lot so you make as many die rolls as possible. Smile

Post   Posted: Feb 09, 2004 - 23:43 Reply with quote Back to top

The problem is people (including myself) think a 1 is rare. When , in fact, if you try 3 things that require a 2+ roll each turn, on average you will fail one of them every other turn.

Come to expect the 1/skull and you won't feel so shocked when it bites you in the ass.

Post   Posted: Feb 09, 2004 - 23:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes Mully is right... 1 in 6 is 16%... that is a fairly big chance considering...

And Murphys Law dictates it will occur right when it hurts you the most...

If 1's were impossible, the game would be rather boring right?
BloodbasherMasher

Post   Posted: Feb 10, 2004 - 00:09 Reply with quote Back to top

You will roll a 1 every 6 times you roll a die.

The JavaBowl program is fine. Like said above, expect the 1, be happy if you don't get it, but live with it when you do.

Someone once told me, "The best way to win at BloodBowl is to make your opponent roll more dice than you."

Words to live by.

Jump to: