52 coaches online • Server time: 21:11
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Finishing the 60 Gam...goto Post Borg Invasiongoto Post GIF Guide
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Gotte

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2010 - 13:52 Reply with quote Back to top

I just wanted to talk about this while this is still in beta. I am colourblind and got a problem with the passing grid that is in the game right now.
I can see some differences in the coulurs but only with difficulty. (I got problem with green/brown and can't tell the difference between blue and purple) Is it possible to change the coulors so that the difference between them is more telling.

I know that many other people have it way worse with colour than me so maybe something that really shows a differnce. white, green, blue, black maybe.
If you want to get an idea of what the problem is scroll down a bit here and watch some pictures of how the rainbow is for people with different colour problems. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_blindness
Randy_Moss

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2010 - 14:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Maybe the 3+, 4+, etc. on the passing bar could be changed to black? It's white now, which is difficult to read over the lightly colored background.

Interesting dilemma.
Shraaaag

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2010 - 14:14 Reply with quote Back to top

As a self-appointed spokesperson for people with bad eyesight, I'm all in favor for making things easier to see. Be it bigger, more contrast or different colors. As long as it doesn't reduce playability ofc.

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2010 - 14:34 Reply with quote Back to top

The biggest objection i had to the passing-grid was that it looked like a rainbow.
Seriously, there are other means to measure the distance, that passing grid is a helper.
There is a target on the passing ruler which i hope you can see, maybe we can raise the contrast of that one.
You can also print your own passing-grid and have it next to your computer while playing to cross-reference if you need to do that extra GFI or not.
If you print it on overhead paper with the right size, you can even have it as an overlay on the screen.

There are lots of constructive ways to solve this.
I am not trying to say it is not a problem for you, we can try to make the client as usable for as many as possible, but there have to be a limit. This grid is a nice to have feature, it is not something that totally stops you from playing the game.
I hope you can live with the extra seconds it would take to cross-reference with a paper.

We hope we can make a bigger field version in the future, but at the moment we must make sure the thing works when we go live.
Araushnar

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2010 - 15:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, i have absolutely no idea about programming but why not made the passing grid black(quick)/white(short)/black(long)/white(longbomb) with text in the opposing colour?

Of course later, after the 15.01.2010 when the client goes live!
Lakrillo

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2010 - 15:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Because making it black-white would mean someone else would have a hard time seeing it on the blizzard field or whatever other reason.

There have been features where we suggested adding color to help people see which option they were choosing on kick, it would have been a nice feature for most people, and stayed the same for the color-blind. But due to complaints from the bad eyesight mafia, that it would not help them, this feature was never implemented so it does now not help anyone.

Seriously, we are trying to do stuff as good as possible for as many as possible, but by giving in to one thing, there is next a flood of requests from people to implement stuff just for them.
If you give people a finger, they take the whole arm.
So there have to be times when we say stop.
Araushnar

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2010 - 15:39 Reply with quote Back to top

[quote="Lakrillo"]Because making it black-white would mean someone else would have a hard time seeing it on the blizzard field or whatever other reason.

Good Point, didnĀ“t thought about that...
f_alk

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2010 - 16:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Maybe an option to change to a different colour set? Just like you can change all the other stuff of the pitch?
My proposal would be different shades of grey or stripes (for quick pass: up-down, short pass: left-right, long pass: top left - bottom right, long bomb: top right bottom - bottom left).
Having different patterns as a background would be colour independent.
WhatBall

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2010 - 16:41 Reply with quote Back to top

My suggestion to try would be:
- give the range ruler a solid black outline, say 1 to 2 pixels
- make the centre area white @ 25-50% opacity
- Have the number (e.g. 3+) in black, bold @ 100% opacity on top of the middle of the ruler.

This would work over even the snow field, and be easy to see. Even not being colour blind, I still find the ruler hard to read sometimes. I personally find no advantage from the colour bars, it is the number that means everything to me. This would also make the ruler look a little more like a strip of clear plastic overlay if you were to, say, play some table top version of such a game, if it were to exist.

Real quick and dirty mock up:

Last edited by WhatBall on %b %21, %2010 - %16:%Dec; edited 2 times in total
Archevol

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2010 - 16:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Great link to wiki Gotte. Always wondered what it is like to be afflicted with colourblindness. A bit of an eye opener.
Macavity

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2010 - 17:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Solid outlines would be good!

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2010 - 17:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Archevol wrote:
Great link to wiki Gotte. Always wondered what it is like to be afflicted with colourblindness. A bit of an eye opener.

To be honest I wonder about that myself Cool.
Always having had a slight colour blindness I dont really know what I'm missing, ya know? But I think I got it quite good anyway. I dont have any mayor problems in everyday life. I dont even notice it tbh. Just when someone asks me about colours Razz. Might be why I didn't like art class in school.
birdbanger

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2010 - 17:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Hmm, you tried to play with dorfs?
uuni

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2010 - 17:18 Reply with quote Back to top

It does not have to be gray, you can alter the brightness of the colors in the grid/ruler. Currently it is green, yellow, red, brown. If you want it to be for example dark, light, dark, light it could be dark green, bright yellow, dark red, grey. The other way, light, dark, light, dark, could be bright green, middle yellow, bright red, brown, for instance.

I have been in the understanding that in order to make things ok to colorblind people, it is not necessary to turn off the colors, instead it is important to use different color intensities.

It has been proven that any map can be colored with 4 different colors. Therefore all you need is 4 different brightnesses. A simplified, preselected palette could be useful aid when designing user interfaces.
zakatan

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2010 - 17:28 Reply with quote Back to top

the ruler with solid outlines is good to see who is in interception space too