44 coaches online • Server time: 00:07
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post SWL Season CIgoto Post My 1st Blackbox tour...goto Post Finishing the 60 Gam...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Lakrillo

Post   Posted: Mar 04, 2011 - 09:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Tournaments will come up in FFB and we all look forward to it.

In the rules it is stated that during Semifinals and finals, no starplayers or mercenaries should be allowed. Will this be in effect on fumbbl?

In my experience this works good, you need to have a developed team to be able to be a serious threat for winning the thing.

I also think that with tournaments to aim for, the min-maxing will get less as you cannot win a tournament with a 1300k TV team. This will most probably encourage people to grow their team some more.

What will be a winning strategy when it comes to inducements?
In my experience the wizard is a great thing for getting a score, but if you already are down 150k TV you might be in a world of hurt and it could be a better thing to go for a starplayer to even the numbers a little.
Stars gives you a chance to stay in the match longer, while the wizard gives you a headstart in scores.
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Mar 04, 2011 - 10:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Wizzies are uber. 2+ Ball down anywhere?

I dunno about the no Stars / Mercs thing in Semis and Finals on FUMBBL. I know (having sat through the timeout debate) that these things are going to be treated as black and white and it's unlikely we'll make our own minds up and be stuck with it - but this is hardly the environment for which that rule was intended. I probably am on board in SMACKs and Minors, but if we keep Majors as uncapped 7 game affairs, some teams are going to be very banged up come games 6 and 7. Inducements don't give underdogs a 50/50 shot, might be worth keeping them in to make sure Semis and Finals aren't a lucky team and a crippled team and a waste of an hour for all concerned.

I can't see a minmaxed team and a couple of Stars and a Wizard going all the way. It's one thing giving yourself a hefty advantage at the same TV, but when the other team has a bunch on you, you won't be laughing so loudly. Tournaments usually have a minimum TR cutoff, or the used to anyway, so you're not going to see the worst of it. Although, at SMACK brackets, etc, it'll happen as it always used to.

Last edited by Purplegoo on %b %04, %2011 - %10:%Mar; edited 1 time in total
RandomOracle

Post   Posted: Mar 04, 2011 - 10:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Purplegoo wrote:

I dunno about the no Stars / Wizards thing in Semis and Finals on FUMBBL.

Actually, the rule book only talks about not allowing stars and mercenaries in semi finals and finals.
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Mar 04, 2011 - 10:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Innocent typo on my part.

Same argument applies. Wink

I'd love to see a Major finalist draw a card from the Misc. Mayhem deck... Pipe dream? Wink
Mateuszzzzzz

Post   Posted: Mar 04, 2011 - 10:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Depends on what kind of tournament.
In tv capped tourneys (like smacks, minors) my guess is that mimaxed teams will be dominant. Lovet tv cap more dominant they will be.
When it come to inducment strategy my guess is winning one will be to give them not recive them. Esspecially if you cannot buy stars in semi/final.
Shraaaag

Post   Posted: Mar 04, 2011 - 10:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Certain races will get hit harder than other. Goblins and Halflings often relies on their star player to get anywhere (not that they ever got anywhere though...)

Post   Posted: Mar 04, 2011 - 10:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Mateuszzzzzz wrote:
In tv capped tourneys (like smacks, minors) my guess is that mimaxed teams will be dominant. Lovet tv cap more dominant they will be.

Was it not always thus?

I wonder what percentage of SMACKs at 175 and below were won by Undead tinkering until they got it exactly right on the TR cap and entered with exactly the right number of DP, 90k and a deep enough bench. Didn't take a lot of skill then, not really sure it does now.

As with almost all things in LRB6, it'll be same same, just via a slightly different mechanism. Wink
Mateuszzzzzz

Post   Posted: Mar 04, 2011 - 10:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Purplegoo wrote:
Mateuszzzzzz wrote:

Was it not always thus?

I belive new system makes it easier and more profitable to minmax. Guess we will see how it goes with smacks.
On1

Post   Posted: Mar 04, 2011 - 11:01 Reply with quote Back to top

+1 for no stars in semi finals and finals.
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Mar 04, 2011 - 11:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Mateuszzzzzz wrote:
Purplegoo wrote:
Mateuszzzzzz wrote:

Was it not always thus?

I belive new system makes it easier and more profitable to minmax. Guess we will see how it goes with smacks.

We will indeed.

Perhaps there's a way around it? I mean is there any way PC could simply randomise that week's SMACK brackets?

Part of the issue is having set TR (now TV) limits to aim for. If this weeks' SMACKs were at 137, 178, 213 and 106 (for the sake of argument) and that was announced 24h before the tournament, doesn't give you a lot of time to hone a team expertly to the cap. Would be much more of a 'I have a team somewhere near there, let's bang them in' vibe. Or you could even lock teams into a SMACK competition before the random draw for TV was announced, so you're stuck with playing if you're one of te 8 nearest the cap, even if you're the dude furthest back with a team you thought ideal for the bracket one lowerish.

I wonder how this tournament weight feature is going to work too. If it shafts 2mill banked minmaxed teams into competing at a much higher bracket than they are primed to do, that can't hurt.
Hitonagashi

Post   Posted: Mar 04, 2011 - 11:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, it does allow mercs theoretically?

I'd say we need stars until we can get mercs.

Post   Posted: Mar 04, 2011 - 11:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Purplegoo wrote:
Mateuszzzzzz wrote:

Was it not always thus?

I wonder what percentage of SMACKs at 175 and below were won by Undead tinkering until they got it exactly right on the TR cap and entered with exactly the right number of DP, 90k and a deep enough bench. Didn't take a lot of skill then, not really sure it does now.

As with almost all things in LRB6, it'll be same same, just via a slightly different mechanism. Wink

I believe it will actually be harder now than the Undeads got it.
the clapomb teams that face a prepared elf-team will not have problems removing players, but the elfs can most probably come off with the win.
It is not like they have a high strength blodger to protect the ball with while they destroy their opponents.

I also believe that we will see a wider array of teams high up in the majors, which i really look forward to. I am tired of seeing just darkelves, chaos and orcs battling it out.
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Mar 04, 2011 - 11:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Minmaxing doesn't just relate to the Claw Pact / Chaos teams. Those guys are just the most famous currently. Plenty of (for instance) Rats are also having great success managing the pants off of their TV, and I don't see why that wouldn't translate to a successful strategy for capped events. But, I hope you're right, on all fronts!

Inducements will help more teams compete, and more coaches compete, in general they will push games more towards coaching on the field and further away from team pimping and luck of the draw, which can't be a bad thing. I'd just like to see that pushed into semis / finals in the environment we have here.
Garion

Post   Posted: Mar 04, 2011 - 11:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Purplegoo wrote:
Minmaxing doesn't just relate to the Claw Pact / Chaos teams. Those guys are just the most famous currently. Plenty of (for instance) Rats are also having great success managing the pants off of their TV,

The difference with rats is they dont go out there way to do this, their team naturally develops in this way because all their linemen constantly die leaving just their good players to consistently skill up, though you are right the end result is the same as a team that purposefully goes out their way to min max.

like these - http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=644346
I wouldnt fancy their chances in a majors though, because hording money with them seems to be near impossible (for me at least)

But I do thing the majors should stick the crp rules and not allow those inducements for semis and finals.

Post   Posted: Mar 04, 2011 - 11:36 Reply with quote Back to top

I say there is a difference between minmaxing and TV optimization. If you develop your team while trying to keep it as effective as possible for your current TV, that is TV optimization for me which is a great thing and what team management should be all about.

However firing healthy players and staying at the same TV a prolonged time while maintaining rookies is a bad kind of minmaxing which i don't like.
 Jump to: