13 coaches online • Server time: 04:26
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Finishing the 60 Gam...goto Post SWL Season CIgoto Post My 1st Blackbox tour...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
ahalfling

Post   Posted: Jul 06, 2011 - 22:30 Reply with quote Back to top

So I was just reminiscing about the mid-'90s tabletop days. (I decided to remake my tabletop forward-passing orc team for a new era. A new era which they really should not be a part of.) And I wrote this up...

I first played Blood Bowl in 1995. Someone had the box set and sold me all the plastic orcs for 20 bucks. Soon, the Orclando Waaagh were the terror of the local league... well, okay. They were the well-above-average team of the local league. Keep in mind, this was an orc team that rarely if ever caged, didn't try to hurt the opponent (I think a couple guys had mighty blow, but that's all), and thrived on long forward passes. So, you know... all my strengths and weaknesses, right from the beginning.

But... well, you know. Tabletop league skill levels vary. (I don't think ANYONE caged effectively in that league.) I figured out the basics of strategy, and even if I didn't figure out that I shouldn't elfball with some orcs, that was enough.

Once I got hooked, more teams followed:

The Wood Elf squad Sportin' Wood was probably my most successful RL team -- I finally had a squad that fit my style of play! (Also a +ST wardancer.) They won a title or two in the local league.

The Norse team Trojan War -- Norse were new! I had to convert all the minis! (And this was the mid-'90s, so as far as I know, GW wasn't even producing anything that looked especially Norsey. I seem to recall taking a bunch of Warzone miniatures wearing appropriate beards and furs, and hacking off their guns.)

The infamous Halflings known simply as Fat Guys Who Ate Too Much Cake.

And... actually, that was about it.

So, how about all of you? How did you get into Blood Bowl?

(Hell, I ran a forward passing orc team back in the '90s. You probably shouldn't listen to me. Ever.)
Thadrin

Post   Posted: Jul 06, 2011 - 22:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Pictures of the Second Edition Dwarf models in a very old White Dwarf (I would have been about 14 or fifteen, so we're talking 20 years+).
Bought them. Painted them Red and White "Dwarf Thunderers".
My nick in the Blood Bowl community is taken from the name I gave to that team's head coach - Thadrin Thadrinsson. It was meant to sound similar to the dwarfs from "The Hobbit".

Post   Posted: Jul 06, 2011 - 22:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Someone gave me a cracked copy of the Cyanide game. I considered buying it to play multiplayer, but wanted to know if it had a good online community, so I googled "blood bowl"+good+online+community. Needless to say, I wound up here. =D

(I did play WH and a single game of TT BB)
ahalfling

Post   Posted: Jul 06, 2011 - 22:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Nice.

I guess that's a related story. "ahalfling" comes (indirectly) from a WHFB game where I was playing Empire, and my squad of 10 halflings brought down a Daemon Prince. (A cannon put one wound on him, but the halflings did two more with arrows and then administered the last on in hand-to-hand.) So from then on, I was "the halfling guy" at my local hobby shop. There are worse things to be, maybe?

And that's mostly why I had the tabletop halflings... I felt obligated. Anyway, I was the only Empire player locally who actually used halflings. (I don't understand that -- so cheap, and such good archers. Oh well. I was also the only player who used the Hot Pot, and that's a little more understandable from a strategic standpoint.) Meanwhile, my other Fantasy army was wood elves, so I had the tree.

I don't think I ever converted them or bought separate miniatures -- I just used the guys with the bows. Nobody complained... they were just happy to be facing off against halflings, I think. And the Hot Pot foreman with the cleaver -- Fat Bobbo Lunch. I recall him having AG 4 and block... clearly the star of the team.

I have to admit, I haven't ever been tempted to play halflings on FUMBBL. Maybe if the orcs work out, that's my next challenge.

(Hell, I ran a forward passing orc team back in the '90s. You probably shouldn't listen to me. Ever.)
Coach_Yriel

Post   Posted: Jul 06, 2011 - 23:02 Reply with quote Back to top

I was a big time 40K player since 1992 and always thought Blood Bowl looked hilarious but never played it. Then in 2003 my brother got my nephew (who never played tabletop games but loves football) to play with his friends. So I made an Elf team (Pro Elves) out of converted Eldar mini's- the Saim Hann Falcons and we formed a tiny league, using the LRB that came with the boxed set. The next season we found out about the updated rules and I made my first real BB team- the Caledor Cavaliers, a High Elf team that went 14-0 and won the championship that season.

Similar to your story, my High Elf team was the league's top defense, despite the Orcs (who favored the longball like yours), and Dwarves (whose coach to this day GFI on every single player without failing- but now Amazons), and a handful of bashy teams. Our league went through a period where caging and stalling was the only way to play but it sucked the joy right out of the game and people were still interested in playing something more like football and less like E.Honda's Hundred Hand Slap. I've gone through a few teams since then but nowadays we have a good mix of dash and bash.

My latest team- the Slann Diego Froggers is a tribute to the days of Blood Bowl where you thought a 5+ for a long pass without a reroll is cool enough to try. Sure-they probably won't win the league championship and I don't throw 100 blocks a game with them, but you know what? They're the most fun I've ever had playing BB. When I thought I was "good" was the days when my game was block block cage block block stall block cage block foul don't-ever-pass-because-that-is-poor-play...and yeah, you can win a lot of games that way, but for me it just isn't entertaining. In American football you can reliably win games by having your running back average 4 yards per carry, kicking a pair of 20 yard field goals and having 2 x 24 minute drives but is it even worth watching?

So I quote my brother who says, "Air that $#$% out!"
Retro21

Post   Posted: Jul 06, 2011 - 23:03 Reply with quote Back to top

nice idea.

Over the last year or so, in between uni courses, I've had a lot of time on my hands, so have looked at different board games to play with friends. So we had a few sessions of this, and my friend Dave wanted me to try Blood Bowl. I wasn't so keen, but gave it a shot. "Yeah, it's ok" I thought, but the next time we played I don't know, something clicked, and I'm in luuurve.

My favourite fantasy race is dwarves (small and bashy to my humongously tall and frail) so they were my first choice. I fell in love with bashing, and my teams following them have been human, orcs, lizardmen and now norse. Dave is pretty much a god on the game compared to me, he's been playing for twenty odd years on and off, so it's pretty much down to dice rolls whether I beat him or not (at the moment!) so one day I hope to equal his level at least.

My laptop is too weak graphically to run the cyanide game, but by luck I found this place, which pits me against players of all strengths, and there we go. I actually play much better on here than real life, which should give you an indication of how much I suck IRL!

Post   Posted: Jul 06, 2011 - 23:32 Reply with quote Back to top

a few years back, I was with a couple of guys in the local GW we found a open box of unusual minis, found the rules and played away all summer! it got banned. as it was all everyone was playing.
King_Ghidra

Post   Posted: Jul 06, 2011 - 23:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Blood Bowl 1st ed. I was crazy about both Warhammer and UK coverage of the NFL and thought that Blood Bowl was just about the greatest thing that had ever been conceived (Nothing has changed here).

My first team was a Dark Elf team called the Dark Land Sliders. In my mind I had made an awesome pun on Dark Land/Landsliders. Yeah...

I was so into it, I played a league against myself and kept all the stats by hand. I remember having an Elf player who had rolled the magic boots that doubled your speed. He was completely unstoppable.

I thought that the Skaven Scramblers that came as a supplement in WD were absolutely brilliant.

I loved all the art and the fluff and really everything that was great about BB was set in my mind from that point on.
stej

Post   Posted: Jul 06, 2011 - 23:45 Reply with quote Back to top

I think I played Orcs for a while to start but really started having fun with the old snotling Roster. Trolls of various sizes and a Minotaur along with a bucket load of extra snots on the pitch. Those were fun days. TTM was the big lure that got me into this game
Marcellus

Post   Posted: Jul 06, 2011 - 23:45 Reply with quote Back to top

My story is similar to King Ghidra's. I started with 1st edition. I was at university at the time as a track/football athlete and had a lot of friends who were into warhammer. When I heard about bloodbowl I simply had to have it. I was the commissioner of a 10 player TT league that ran for 4 or 5 seasons. I started my playing career in that same league with the undead -- loved the regeneration and the mummies.
Corvidius

Post   Posted: Jul 07, 2011 - 16:23 Reply with quote Back to top

I started playing about 12 years ago with a lizardman team and thrud entirely bought from the bits box in gw edinburgh. Never won a game with them in 33 games, moved onto chaos and did mildly better. Eventually shifted to Wood Elves and started to learn how to play the game, i'm still learning. Smile
Retro21

Post   Posted: Jul 07, 2011 - 19:07 Reply with quote Back to top

good effort carrying on playing despite losing 33 games, that's the Scottish mentality for you Very Happy

Post   Posted: Jul 07, 2011 - 19:24 Reply with quote Back to top

I played an undead team wat back when BB was re-releases in the early 90's...originally titled 'Dead By Dawn' !!
I won the club's 1st league with them, although we were more concerned with beer. Good times!

Post   Posted: Jul 07, 2011 - 19:25 Reply with quote Back to top

About 16-17 years ago, I got the Boxed set and a Chaos team. That was just before Death Zone came out, because I bought that add-on afterwards. My neighbour got a Dwarf team. He was about the only guy I ever played, but we played pretty often. I kicked his ass mostly too Smile

We both then got into FUMBBL, but he asked for himself to be perma-banned because of fumbbls time wasting abilities. In the last few years I managed to play some tournies in the Netherlands, definitely my favorite part of playing.

Oscar Wilde
Corvidius

Post   Posted: Jul 07, 2011 - 22:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Retro21 wrote:
good effort carrying on playing despite losing 33 games, that's the Scottish mentality for you Very Happy

Smile Well, I didn't lose all of them but never one any, might have managed 2 or 3 draws. lost 7-0 to wood elves at one point. Definitely Scottish stubborness winning out there. Smile
 Jump to: