25 coaches online • Server time: 08:46
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Draft League Expansi...goto Post 90+ Custom Rosters!goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
johnalex

Post   Posted: Jul 15, 2011 - 20:04 Reply with quote Back to top

I am new to fumbbl, but would absolutely love to own that super cool goblin with my dwarf team. However, I'm not exactly sure how I would go about timing matches with other coaches. There would be two to three times on any given week where I just might maybe get a chance to play, and I wonder if that's quite enough.

tl;dr I'm worried I'm not available enough to play during the week, what are your guidelines?
the_Sage

Post   Posted: Jul 15, 2011 - 20:16 Reply with quote Back to top

You don't have to fit a schedule. Play when you want to. Only leagues and tourneys come with obligations, ranked and blackbox are open. Box is easy to find games, ranked lets you pick opponents.

During the right hours (evenings in Europe time zones) it's easy to find a box game, and doable to find a ranked game. The rest of the time box is doable and ranked is hard.

If you play a league, you'll ususally have to play one game per time-unit (per 9 days, or per 2, depending on the league). That game you schedule with your opponent.

Last edited by the_Sage on %b %15, %2011 - %20:%Jul; edited 1 time in total
Garion

Post   Posted: Jul 15, 2011 - 20:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Once you have entered a tourny or league etc... you get a little clock next to your team click on that and you can schedule games. It is generally best to contact your opponent to let them know when you will be available first and they will tell you when is good for them.

To stand a chance at winning that Goblin from teh black box you will need to play a lot more matches with your teams in the black box division. Once they reach at TV around 1800+ they may be ready for a major competition like the Black cup.

Post   Posted: Jul 15, 2011 - 20:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks, so even if I only have two to three time slots a week, I should be okay for that? And I know I won't win, but it'd be fun to at least participate.
the_Sage

Post   Posted: Jul 15, 2011 - 20:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Ah, didn't realize you meant the Black Cup. Hmm, you'll likely need more coach and team XP. =)
Just keep playing and enjoying, and then sign up something upwards of 1800 TV.

Post   Posted: Jul 15, 2011 - 20:23 Reply with quote Back to top

I think you have to decide for yourself. If you enter a tournament, contact your opponent as early as possible. If you both try but just can't get it done in time, invite a group manager to the conversation and let them decide what to do about it.

You can find it here: Official+FUMBBL+Tournament+Rules

Quote:
If your game cannot be played before the deadline be sure to inform the tournament staff member (can be found just above the tournament). Each coach is individually responsible for contacting the tournament staff member. Make sure to explain the situation so the tournament staff member knows for which team to forfeit.

Since the group managers act reasonable, the worst thing you can expect (especially when you make clear it was your fault the game couldn't be played) is that the match is forfeited in favor of your opponent.

However:
Quote:
Make sure the tournament schedule fits your personal schedule.

If it's just bad timing and you usually have more time at hand, maybe skip this tournament. If that's your normal week, you might just give it a try.
Depends heavily from which timezone you and your opponent are.
johnalex

Post   Posted: Jul 15, 2011 - 20:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks Rabe, best advice yet. I wouldn't mind giving it to my opponent, if I had to. As mentioned repeatedly above, my TV is horrendously low, so I'll prolly just be a "bye" to the first team I play anyhow Wink But, again, a just for fun thing. A nice goblin would be great for a newbish team and I'd rather have experienced playing on a tourney with a newb team than a team I would expect to do well with and end up losing because I was uncomfortable with scheduling, timing, etc.

Thanks all!
Garion

Post   Posted: Jul 15, 2011 - 20:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Just a word of warning. sometimes there is a TV cut off point for Tournaments. So if your team is below say 1500 it may not get in. I'm not sure what it is for the Black Cup, but it may be worth checking before you apply Smile

Post   Posted: Jul 15, 2011 - 20:38 Reply with quote Back to top

all will be drawn. re-read black cup news, garion :p

Garion

Post   Posted: Jul 15, 2011 - 20:46 Reply with quote Back to top

hehe Wink that why I said I dunno about the blackcup. Though I am tempted to apply with some flings now Very Happy

Post   Posted: Jul 15, 2011 - 22:29 Reply with quote Back to top

johnalex I had the exact same concern when I started on here with Shrieking Bloodstorm; as I'm from EST (6 hours later than BBtime) and I'm a late night owl, I generally don't match well at all with most people playing; but my opponent's were always willing to work with me, and in tournaments I have never had a problem. However, when I tried to do the CFFL, it turned out I wasn't able to schedule matches. So league play didn't work for me, but tournaments did. Go ahead and enter the Black Cup, being part of a tournament really is a lot of fun (and I even won my first round qualifier to my first tournament, although I lost the second round due to rookie coaching mistakes, so you never know!)
johnalex

Post   Posted: Jul 16, 2011 - 06:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Hahahaha, thats hilarious! I just read your post not long after this one and your situation is mine -exactly-! The shift work, the wife thing, and two hours... and it was what they said to you that solidified that I should go for it. EST here too!
 Jump to: