52 coaches online • Server time: 22:55
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Finishing the 60 Gam...goto Post Borg Invasiongoto Post GIF Guide
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
DrDeath

Post   Posted: Nov 10, 2012 - 15:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi Folks,

I travel around a lot, so I'm interested in a tablet to spec games. Always held off before, because as far as I'm aware none could open the client.

HOWEVER, the Kindle Fire HD just came out, and it sounds like this one might work (screen size 1280 x 800 and it should work Java?). Anyone tried it? This isn't an advert for Kindle btw - if anyone knows of ANY tablet that works would be very interested to know! Would also be interested if anyone has tried playing on one - although I imagine that might be a bit fiddly, just speccing would be cool.

Cheers,
DrDeath
Hitonagashi

Post   Posted: Nov 10, 2012 - 15:43 Reply with quote Back to top

http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle?cdForum=Fx1D7SY3BVSESG&cdThread=TxEJ0J0JNWP8A4

No Java on the Fire Smile.

As far as I know, no tablet ships with Java support. Your best bet is a program that links to your PC, so you can remotely play it while on the move.

Post   Posted: Nov 10, 2012 - 16:04 Reply with quote Back to top

It seems that Gigabyte S1082 should be able to run FFB as it runs Win 8 (should run Java SE) and has a screen resolution of 1366x768. Of course you should test your products before buying - I take no responsibilities from your decisions or purchases! Wink
koadah

Post   Posted: Nov 10, 2012 - 16:43 Reply with quote Back to top

So, here's a question.

How feasible is javascript/HML5 viewer?

I suppose it wouldn't need to be a clever as a full client.

Post   Posted: Nov 10, 2012 - 18:41 Reply with quote Back to top

If you can do one, you can do the other. An HTML5 client is something that Christer would very much like to have and I've already given it some thought at least. It is a major undertaking, though and not something that is going to happen soon.
blader4411

Post   Posted: Nov 10, 2012 - 18:45 Reply with quote Back to top

On a similar note, is the FFB Client fully compatible with Windows 8?
DrDeath

Post   Posted: Nov 17, 2012 - 00:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the info folks, looks like the search continues! If I get to try the Gigabyte S1082 or any other tablet which works I'll let you all know here Wink
Kelkka

Post   Posted: Nov 17, 2012 - 01:00 Reply with quote Back to top

blader4411 wrote:
On a similar note, is the FFB Client fully compatible with Windows 8?
Yes.
I use Win 8 Pro and basically everything works that worked in Win7. Only exception is desktop Gadgets and programs that use Vista style SideShow (for example Logitech G15 keyboard led screen).
Kelkka

Post   Posted: Nov 17, 2012 - 12:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Forgot to say yesterday. If you check windows tablets, make sure it has Intel processor and indeed runs a full version of Win8, like that Gigabyte tablet Uuni linked above.

Most of the Win tablets run ARM (I believe) processors and use modified win 8 called Windows RT Devices OS, which doesn't support "Legacy" style desktop software, only modern metro style apps you can download from store.
 Jump to: