21 coaches online • Server time: 06:47
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Borg Invasiongoto Post Finishing the 60 Gam...goto Post GIF Guide
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
What amount of risk are you comfortable with?
Do not attempt without at least a 90% success rate
6%
 6%  [ 5 ]
> 80%
15%
 15%  [ 12 ]
>70%
19%
 19%  [ 15 ]
>60%
9%
 9%  [ 7 ]
>50%
10%
 10%  [ 8 ]
>33.333% (success rate of a 1d block)
38%
 38%  [ 30 ]
Total Votes : 77

FreeRange

Post   Posted: Sep 13, 2011 - 17:22 Reply with quote Back to top

After a game in which my opponent was regularly attempting, and succeeding, with maneuvers that I would normally not attempt due to great risk of failure, I begin to wonder what is the general attitude towards risk of the coaches on FUMBBL? I know certain late and tight situations call for more risk but I am talking about risk in normal play.

So with that in mind, where does you risk tolerance lie?
robocoyote

Post   Posted: Sep 13, 2011 - 17:23 Reply with quote Back to top

For me it depends on my team. I normally attempt bigger risk playes with my skaven, than i do my undead for instance. Skaven if you just succeed once can take the ball and move it out of reach, but undead even if you pop it loose, will just be able to pill around it.
nin

Post   Posted: Sep 13, 2011 - 17:45 Reply with quote Back to top

You know, 33'3... is probability of failure of a 1d without Block and also success rate of 1d vs Block (but 1d with block against skilless player goes up to 50)
And if you just need a push numbers go higher.

If my chances of success are 1/3 (close to 2d against a Blodger) but chances of failure are lower (1/9 of turnover in 2d without Block or RR) I'd probably try at some point in the turn.
I may even consider 1d with a zombie on a WD on the last moves.

To be true, when failure means I lose the rest of the turn but not the match while success means I win, suddendly some crazy moves start to look appealing (the reason I like teams with stunty players and Vampires)
Tigga

Post   Posted: Sep 13, 2011 - 17:57 Reply with quote Back to top

It's purely situational. Failure has many different levels and can be game losing or really not much of an issue at all. When chosing what move to make you have to look at the risk:reward ratio of different alternatives. High risk plays often come with high rewards, low risk with low rewards.
Hitonagashi

Post   Posted: Sep 13, 2011 - 18:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Offense? Defense? Race? Effects on failing the risk?

I vote PIE! (or I would Sad ).

Post   Posted: Sep 13, 2011 - 18:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Depends on my mood. However I try not to cross the thin line between idiotic/desperate moves and brilliant tactic too often.

Post   Posted: Sep 13, 2011 - 18:07 Reply with quote Back to top

In the big pitcture I will attempt 3+ with reroll all day long...big picture.

BUT every game is diffrent with hundreds of variables. Thus cannot say what is "safe" when it comes to risk.

example: With Humans I have allways felt when playing against orcs you have to attempt alot more 1bd blocks and dodge a lot more to get a tactical advantage...under normal conditions I would not be attempting 3 1bd attempts and 4 dodges in a turn...but that is a very specific example.

Post   Posted: Sep 13, 2011 - 18:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Of course when the dice are going bad so to speak maybe just maybe that is NUFFLE telling you to attempt that blitz move when you need 3X 4+ dodges with a GFI on a 1BD against a blodger with no tackle...it does work sometimes...and then all of sudden the dice dont seem to be so bad after all and you smile when your opponeet comes unglued in chat.

I will admit if that is your perfered mode of playing Blood Bowl I will give you a thumbs up for fun but dont complain that your CR or BWR is bottom feeding.

Oh crap...I just figured out my own problem. Change is hard though.

Last edited by PainState on %b %13, %2011 - %18:%Sep; edited 2 times in total
garyt1

Post   Posted: Sep 13, 2011 - 18:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Even doing a GFI has a very significant risk. They fail all the time! 3+ pickups with sure hands seem to be another regular fail.

Post   Posted: Sep 13, 2011 - 18:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Depends on so many things but here's the short version:

Provided i don't need the TZ for something, and have done all my necessary stuff, I'll attempt any block where odds of knockdown >= odds of being knocked down. (This of course does not apply if going after the ball.)

In terms of crazy plays withthe ball on offence, i generally won't roll the dice unless i'm forced to, although i do make far too many 2+ attempts.

Post   Posted: Sep 13, 2011 - 18:17 Reply with quote Back to top

It's far too situational to say. But I enjoy dodging into cages on a 5+ with Dodge, thats gives you 55% chances, same goes for picking the ball up with ag1 players, i do that a fair bit too.
Like when the box first went ffb i made sure i scored twice with my snow troll in my norse team to get him MB straight away.

Post   Posted: Sep 13, 2011 - 18:22 Reply with quote Back to top

I do throw alot of goblins though....

Post   Posted: Sep 13, 2011 - 18:33 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not scared of trying silly things. That's why I love elves so much ! And I guess that's why they die all the time too. But heh, what can I say ? If you don't have skills, count on your luck Very Happy
Malmir

Post   Posted: Sep 13, 2011 - 18:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Whatever is minimal to get the job done. Ideally that is 3D with block, tackle and a rr, but it could be 6+ -3D if that's what is needed to win the game.
Azure

Post   Posted: Sep 13, 2011 - 20:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Malmir wrote:
Whatever is minimal to get the job done. Ideally that is 3D with block, tackle and a rr, but it could be 6+ -3D if that's what is needed to win the game.

Agreed. Maximize probability of each action - but not afraid to take the risky actions if that is the only recourse.
 Jump to: