61 coaches online • Server time: 20:49
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Finishing the 60 Gam...goto Post GIF Guidegoto Post TSC Draft
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
PurpleChest

Post   Posted: Mar 09, 2011 - 16:29
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Official FUMBBL Tournaments 2011

With the advent of the new FFB client all Official FUMBBL Tournaments in 2011 will be run using the FFB client and run under the commisioners intepretation of the CRP ruleset as applied to FUMBBL Tournaments.

These changes have had a great many impacts upon the formats used on FUMBBL and required a lot of decisions, reworkings, testing, re-thinking and coding support, both through the client and the site. All involved have worked hard to bring us to where we are now, which is ready to begin running tournaments once again.

In general this should be seen as a year of transition though. No decision at this stage is final, it is entirely possible that things will change and evolve over the course of the year. i would hope a schedule will form in my head and on the calendar fairly soon, but for now I am unwilling to commit until we asses and respond to the new problems actually running tournaments may produce. It is also possible the changes Christer plans for L open up exciting new possiblities for formats and structures for Official Tournaments.

In light of that i am, as always, interested in feedback and opinions all around the Tournament scene. That said this is still not a democracy, i will take the best decisions i can for the good of FUMBBL.

In Game Changes

On entering any Official FUMBBL Tournament the coach accepts both that they will play any schedule, and any individual game, that the Tournament asks of them. They also accept they will play with the latest version of the FFB client available. including all known Bugs and differences from the boardgame. Exploitation of these Bugs is not allowed.

Upon entering overtime in the event of a tied game, there is a new, in client, pop up coin toss to decide who will recieve. Purely cosmetic, but fun none the less.

The new client is equipped to follow the correct rules for overtime, and this has been adopted by all official FUMBBL Tournaments. The first to score a TD now wins instantly.

The new client also correctly calculates the end of the game in the event overtime produces no winner. Each unused reroll adds +1 to the sudden death decision roll. This roll is now handled in the cleint and visible to both coaches.

It's a post agme change really, but there is the clear possiblity that teams will delay completing their post game sequence until they know their opponent. Further they could decide to delay until their opponent has completed theirs. In such cases of post game poker, the team with the larger TV will be expected to comeplete their post game sequence first.

These changes are reflected in the Official FUMBBL Tournament Rules

Prizes

Many prizes have had to be rethought with the new ruleset. As each Tournament is advertised and run it is always wise to check what you would be winning, not to assume it has stayed the same as the year before.

The single biggest change is to the Minors/Smack/Qualifier level prize. Historically we have given +1ff. Also including this is almost every Major prize pack. This has been changed with instant effect to a bonus MVP awarded by the site to the winner.

Prizes, both bonus skills and players, that change the roster outside of the usual ways (like an MVP) will count for TV, and you expect the TV of the prize to be mentioned and to be added to your teams TV.

Currently bonus players won through Tournaments are not supported by the client. This will be addressed in future updates i have been promised. Bonus skills won in Tournaments should work fine already.

Capped Events and TV/TW

The CRP rules use the Team Value to determine inducements and the 'fairness' of a match. This number excludes cash and missing players. It is therefore useless for capped events as both of these can fundamentally change a teams TV after 1 game, and Tournaments last longer than that. Therefore Tournament Weight has been invented.

Tournament Weight is your teams Team Value with the addition of cash and Missing players at full value. It will be used as the determining factor for capped events in all Official FUMBBL Tournaments in both R and B.

The bandings created under the last rule set are staying the same, for now, and moving directly over to TV. I am aware that TV has squashed the teams together slightly in the higher ends of the spectrum, but do not feel the need to change them until more data is available as to what teams are wishing to compete at what TV/TW in what formats. Therefore we have:

Rookie: TW1000 and under. Often brand new teams only.
Experienced: TW1250 and under
Veteran: TW1500 and under
Pro: TW1750 and under
Elite: TW2000 and under
Legend: TW2001 and over

In the recent past we have run some R Minors at TR225. I am undecided as to whether the demand exists for TW2250 events. I reserve the right to try them out later in the year, maybe.

Formats and Divisions

They are called Divisions for a reason. R and B are not the same. If the demand proves to be there for more Tournaments and/or more formats to be run in B Division, then I will be happy to make that happen. But the Divisons are seperate for a reason. they will have, and need, different Tournaments, in different fomats, to suit their styles and concepts.

There is a chance of the vaguest possibility that i might one day consider reviewing the possibility of entertaining the notion to mull over the likelyhood of wondering about maybe looking at thinking of possibly having a good think about the concept of deciding on maybe considering letting both R and B teams compete in all FUMBBL Cup events, as was done last year.

But thats it. No others. None.

There is a Major Tournament recruiting now in each Division:

The Warpstone Open in R
and
The Crown Of Sand in B

If at all possible i will run all the Majors this year that were run last year. If the schedule for R proves too tight for all 5, then the LC might have to take a raincheck.

FUMBBLSMACK (R) can restart anytime there are 8 people in the FUMBBLMinors channel wishing to take part.

Royal Rookie Rumbl (R) will once again be open andrecruiting. They start on any Wednesday evening that they have at least 16 teams applied from different coaches. They have changed to a weekly deadline format and will try to start every week if applications allow. they continue to offer 100,000 gold pieces as a prize.

Scheduled SMACKS (R) Will open applications now, and start to once be drawn from next Wednesday.

Speed Freaks Challenge (R) Are currently not supported by the client as far as i know. they also do not have a prize available currently. So the format is mothballed for now.

The FUMBBL Tour (R) cannot be site supported right now for point allocation and this has created issues for years in how it is run and how effeciantly and accurately information about points is made available. For now it is mothballed both so that those issues can be addressed, and as the chaos of the 2011 shcedule doesnt lend well to the Tour concept. Expect the FUMBBL Tour to return at some stage, in some format and some division. The basic idea is something both myself and Christer find appealing. But for now, it is mothballed.

FUMBBL Minors (R) will restart once the Warpstone Open is running. Watch News posts for more information.

FUMBBL B Minors (B) will restart once the Crown Of Sand is running. Watch News posts for more information.

I am sure we will hear updates on what XFL and Stunty plan in time.

Last edited by PurpleChest on %b %30, %2011 - %04:%Dec; edited 3 times in total
Calthor

Post   Posted: Mar 09, 2011 - 16:34 Reply with quote Back to top

I approve, and hope for Tournament equality in R and B (same amount of Majors).

Thank you, PC.
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Mar 09, 2011 - 16:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Hurrah, I'm sure you're letting yourself in for a lot of work. So ty.

My two points;

'Exploitation of these Bugs is not allowed.'

How do you intend to police this? If a new version of the client pops up within a tournament, and with it a new bug on a rule which isn't that well known, and it goes on to decide a game, how will you be able to tell if a coach is abusing a bug he should know about, or just being unlucky and clicking buttons? And what will the penalty be?

I mean, if tomorrow someone OTSs with KOR, I still don't think that bug is massively known about. And once it's done, it's done. Or wins a game with a Vamp that's stood up and ignored OFAB.

By joining a tournament, is it our own lookout to be 100% abreast of bugs, and take retroactive punishment like men? Even if they are yet to be reported?

I’d also like to ask if in the new rules we will retain this bias that ‘Major’ equals uncapped, massive teams at the fringes of the rules, or whether we will take a more rounded BB view and accept that large TV doesn’t always mean large gravitas, and get some capped ‘Majors’ scheduled. This FUMBBL view that uncapped is most revered has never failed to puzzle me. Certainly in LRB4, better BB and more balanced games were played in capped events, nine times out of ten.

Last edited by Purplegoo on %b %09, %2011 - %16:%Mar; edited 1 time in total
RC

Post   Posted: Mar 09, 2011 - 16:41 Reply with quote Back to top

"There is a Major Tournament recruiting now in each Division"
Read that and applied for the Crown of Sand qualifier Very Happy
Should I not have done it? Cus I just read "Format
Apply with whatever team you wish to enter into the Qualifiers.

At the moment that applications are closed, the 8 most numerous races are each placed into their own qualifier."
Thanks, RC

Post   Posted: Mar 09, 2011 - 16:45 Reply with quote Back to top

cookies for everybody!!!!!!cheers!thx, GO!!!!!
zakatan

Post   Posted: Mar 09, 2011 - 16:59 Reply with quote Back to top

"including all known Bugs and differences from the boardgame. Exploitation of these Bugs is not allowed."

These two sentences look a bit contradictory to me.

Other than that, Hurrah! going to apply right now

Post   Posted: Mar 09, 2011 - 17:44 Reply with quote Back to top

No [B]-SMACKs Sad
zakatan

Post   Posted: Mar 09, 2011 - 18:09 Reply with quote Back to top

[B] is an everlasting SMACK itself...

Post   Posted: Mar 09, 2011 - 18:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Hoorah! The sooner the better. =)

Post   Posted: Mar 09, 2011 - 18:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Grats on getting this up and running again PC. Hopefully this is a load off, now that people can stop pestering you about when tourneys will happen Smile

Just tossing out an opinion: UI is my least favorite of the majors, and the one I'd least mind to see skipped if we only have room for 4 in 2011. LC is a close second though, so as long as GLT and FC are still run, I'm ok with the LC being odd tourney out.

Author of Firehurler (Twinborn Trilogy Book #1), Aethersmith (Book #2), Sourcethief (Book #3)
Timlagor

Post   Posted: Mar 09, 2011 - 19:11 Reply with quote Back to top

The skellies for CoS seem a bit worthless (maybe Im underestimating them..) but then the prize isn't really the point Very Happy

Assuming that not allowing us to see who has already applies is deliberate, could you give us the occasional update on how many teams have applied and what the successful TV is looking like?
vicius

Post   Posted: Mar 09, 2011 - 19:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Nice!!

Finally tourney returns!!

Thx PC and Christer for all that awesome work.

I totally agree with Purplegoo there, how to know if u are abusing bugs, so diffikult thought, proly should be a list of bugs and explain there how should we play with them.

Example:

bull centaur with -av is fouled, roll is 9, so with arm 8 he should be knocked o hurted, but with the bug the av is not passed. How to play then? roll in chat the injury roll?, dont use the bull next turn?, and if we play so, then wot about the -ma we cant use?

Vamps and their Ofab interpretation is so awesome, lot of bugs with them

A vamp select block and fail ofab, cant move to bite and he is sent off. How should we play that?
A vamp stands up and end move fail ofab, cant move to bite. How should we play that?

A list with da aclarations could be so usefull to everybody know the exact interpretation thought
Araushnar

Post   Posted: Mar 09, 2011 - 19:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Great news. Thx alot. Do you get a new prematch sequence once you are sheduled to buy or fire players?
zakatan

Post   Posted: Mar 09, 2011 - 19:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Araushnar wrote:
Great news. Thx alot. Do you get a new prematch sequence once you are sheduled to buy or fire players?

i don't think so, but you can just delay your post-match sequence until you are scheduled...
Hero164

Post   Posted: Mar 09, 2011 - 22:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Good stuff. I urge the reconsidering of as much B+R joint majors as possible as I think it adds hugely and detracts nothing.

Great work on the restart.

Stella for President!!

Need a new challenge? Here's all the challenge you will ever need.

http://fumbbl.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=19352
 Jump to: