45 coaches online • Server time: 00:01
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Finishing the 60 Gam...goto Post GIF Guidegoto Post TSC Draft
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Stonetroll

Post   Posted: Jun 25, 2013 - 22:04 Reply with quote Back to top

For two days now I've been struggling with trying to get the FFB client to start working again, after having to install the latest update 25. Now it looks like me and the nice people who have helped so far have come to the end of the rope. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling it about dozen times, turning off the firewall and now I even made a fresh installation of windows.

Problem is after successfully downloading the file the client opens up and always freezes in the opening credits screen (with the picture of the ball on pitch and coach names). I can move the application window on screen and minimize it, but can only shut it down from task manager. And java console doesn't give any error messages to help with this. Sorry for being a techno-peasant, but this is all I can describe about the problem.

I'm putting this here in case someone else has similar problems or a solution for it. But for now this is stopping me from playing or speccing games and its kind of a bummer.
Garion

Post   Posted: Jun 25, 2013 - 22:06 Reply with quote Back to top

uninstall java and re-install an older version.

Post   Posted: Jun 25, 2013 - 22:09 Reply with quote Back to top

As I understand it, for some reasons older java doesn't work with FFB now. AFAIK, no changes have been made to the client to make this happen, so it must be a java issue.

You aren't the only person. There have been lots of reports regarding not being able to start games.

I think it affects java 6 and 7. I use Java 5 (because I use the old client for most of my gaming) and have had no issues.

It is possible to have 2 versions of java, and choose the one you want to use (don't ask me how though) so you could do that or delete all java and try 5. If you only really use java for FUMBBL, you could just use 5 and block all plug ins on your web browser.
Lorebass

Post   Posted: Jun 25, 2013 - 22:12
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

+1 to mouse, thats what i have set up for work.
Bert

Post   Posted: Jun 25, 2013 - 22:51 Reply with quote Back to top

I've had troubles aswell. Uninstalling and re-installing java 7 or 6 didn't help.
Then I installed the latest Java; 7 update 25 and restarted my router/modem. Now it's running fine again.

Hope it helps.

Bert
Alzhaid

Post   Posted: Jun 25, 2013 - 23:00 Reply with quote Back to top

This is what I did, and it worked for me under Windows 7:

1. Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin\ and double click on javacpl.exe

That's the Java Control Panel. It could be in another folder, or you could find it in the Windows Control Panel, but anyway going directly to the right folder you will be sure that you are executing the Java 7 Control Panel and not another version.

2. In the security tab, lower the required security to Medium instead of High.

If you read the High description, it says that execution of unsigned or autosigned applications CANNOT be run. I suppose the Fantasy Football JAR is not signed or it is unsigned.

Take into account that this way you are lowering your security regarding executing Java applications, however this is what worked for me and I don't care, I only execute well known applications like our beloved Fantasy Football one.
Stonetroll

Post   Posted: Jun 26, 2013 - 10:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the input, I've tried rebooting my router and lowering the security settings, but still no joy. There could be something wrong on my end too, but with the fresh windows installed it doesn't seem so likely.
the_Sage

Post   Posted: Jun 26, 2013 - 10:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Stonetroll wrote:
Thanks for the input, I've tried rebooting my router and lowering the security settings, but still no joy. There could be something wrong on my end too, but with the fresh windows installed it doesn't seem so likely.

Because windows is never wrong?
Wreckage

Post   Posted: Jun 26, 2013 - 11:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Just a longshot but...

Try uninstalling Java. Then Install Google Chrome. Then download Java from your Chrome browser. Then install it. Try if it works in chrome.
Maileq

Post   Posted: Jun 27, 2013 - 15:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Bert wrote:
I've had troubles aswell. Uninstalling and re-installing java 7 or 6 didn't help.
Then I installed the latest Java; 7 update 25 and restarted my router/modem. Now it's running fine again.

Hope it helps.

Bert

Same done here. But doesn't work either.
Wreckage

Post   Posted: Jun 27, 2013 - 15:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Maileq wrote:

Same done here. But doesn't work either.

Maileq, do have a freeze on the info screen too? Would be nice to see this confirmed.
Maileq

Post   Posted: Jun 27, 2013 - 16:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes. Use XP + Firefox + latest Java. And it freezes at the screen described in Post #1
 Jump to: