48 coaches online • Server time: 17:12
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Finishing the 60 Gam...goto Post TSC Draftgoto Post 4,000TV!
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
What is the best maner to skill saurus in the box?
Block/Mighty Blow/Pile On
20%
 20%  [ 6 ]
Break Tackle/Block/Fend
10%
 10%  [ 3 ]
Break Tackle/Wrestle/Fend
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Block/Guard/Mighty Blow
23%
 23%  [ 7 ]
Block/Break Tackle/Mighty Blow
13%
 13%  [ 4 ]
Pie/Other
33%
 33%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 30

Kondor

Post   Posted: Mar 15, 2012 - 13:08 Reply with quote Back to top

The traditional method of skilling saurus is Block/Guard/Break Tackle

In the box, the problem is claw/mb/po. The combination will make quick work of most teams, but lizards really feel the pain.

I have been thinking of utilizing the movement value of the saurus to try and counteract the problem and hopefully be more competitive. How about skilling differently with.

Break Tackle/Block/Fend

With this combination, you have 6 elflike S4 blitzers. While you cannot negate the Claw/MB, you can avoid the pile on.

I am also thinking of using a saurus for ball carring with sure hands as a second skill. This would certainly be the case if any saurs gets +Ag. Skinks would then be for fouling purposes and harassment.

Thoughts? Would it work well?
maysrill

Post   Posted: Mar 15, 2012 - 13:14 Reply with quote Back to top

The method for skilling sauruses has always been a mix. Roughly 2 each of a blocker type (Block, Guard), killer type (MB/PO or MB/Tackle would be the modern version) and mobile type (BT/Tackle/Block).

If you make them all mobile, you'll get pushed around. Make them all blockers and you'll get tied up and run around. Go with all killers and you will win or lose based on how many cas you get early on.

As for +AG sauruses, we wary. I've gone that route a couple times, and I would say that as a first or second skill, it's awful. If you've already gotten Dodge or BT, it can be a pretty decent route to a ball carrier via Sure Hands later (you'll essentially have a bull centaur).

Author of Firehurler (Twinborn Trilogy Book #1), Aethersmith (Book #2), Sourcethief (Book #3)
Kondor

Post   Posted: Mar 15, 2012 - 13:49 Reply with quote Back to top

maysrill wrote:
The method for skilling sauruses has always been a mix. Roughly 2 each of a blocker type (Block, Guard), killer type (MB/PO or MB/Tackle would be the modern version) and mobile type (BT/Tackle/Block).

If you make them all mobile, you'll get pushed around. Make them all blockers and you'll get tied up and run around. Go with all killers and you will win or lose based on how many cas you get early on.

You have 7 players with at least S4. How do you get pushed around? Hit what is in front of you when available. Dodge when you need to.
Hitonagashi

Post   Posted: Mar 15, 2012 - 13:58 Reply with quote Back to top

In the box, I always go Block/Mighty Blow as first 2 skills. Chaos teams get punished if you have 7 mighty blow players, as beastman armour isn't actually that great. It skills the team fast...a block/guard saurus will die before he gets to 3 skills, a block/mighty blow saurus will usually get to 4 or 5 skills, which drastically increases his chance of doubling or getting fend to survive with. Maybe, once I've already got 4 block/mb players, I might consider taking guard second skill.

I'd always turn down +ag on a saurus. No questions about it. Lizardmen live on their positional control...and if you take +ag, you are sacrificing 1/7th of your positional ability just to cover yourself if you accidentally let someone hit your ball carrier.

My skills are simple:
1st skill: Block
2nd skill: Mighty Blow
3rd skill: Tackle on the first to hit, Piling On on the second to hit, Guard on the third, then add more guard.
4th skill: Killers: Frenzy, guarders...depends. Probably Break Tackle/Fend..I tried Stand Firm and didn't like it.
5th skill: Killers: Whichever of Tackle/PO they are missing. Regular: Hope for double?
If they roll a double, I take dodge, and then add Break Tackle. I only usually add BT earlier if you have dodge or ST 5.
Kondor

Post   Posted: Mar 15, 2012 - 14:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Not to take this off target too far, but Hitonagashi, why in the world do the lanterns have so many skilled up skinks?
Hitonagashi

Post   Posted: Mar 15, 2012 - 15:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Kondor wrote:
Not to take this off target too far, but Hitonagashi, why in the world do the lanterns have so many skilled up skinks?

Erm, I have 5 skinks, 3 rookies, 2 with sidestep. Not entirely sure what you mean here. Very Happy
maysrill

Post   Posted: Mar 15, 2012 - 15:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Kondor wrote:

You have 7 players with at least S4. How do you get pushed around? Hit what is in front of you when available. Dodge when you need to.

I generally find that lizards get pushed around pretty easily by dwarfs and orcs, despite having more ST4 players. An advantage of 4-6 Guards (which is often what will happen when a lizard team has none), means a lot of 2db coming back at them.
Loew

Post   Posted: Mar 15, 2012 - 15:22 Reply with quote Back to top

@Hitonagashi:
I'm a bit surprised by the lack of Break Tackle in your early skill choices. Obviously it works well for the lanterns... do you think this is the way for every Lizard team, or is it only good in a bash environment like the box?

I think, coaches whose positional play is not that good (yet), will profit from an early BT sauri blitzer in all environments
Kondor

Post   Posted: Mar 15, 2012 - 16:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Hitonagashi wrote:
Kondor wrote:

Erm, I have 5 skinks, 3 rookies, 2 with sidestep. Not entirely sure what you mean here. Very Happy

OOps, It is the Black Sauri that has a ton of skink skills. Granted a lot of +MA but...Is it really worth it?
Hitonagashi

Post   Posted: Mar 15, 2012 - 16:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Kondor wrote:
Hitonagashi wrote:
Kondor wrote:

OOps, It is the Black Sauri that has a ton of skink skills. Granted a lot of +MA but...Is it really worth it?

Nope...but I don't play them in the Box atm. It's a major build, designed to maximise the effect of getting 300k ish of inducements every game. In a straight up 1700 on 1700, it'll lose horribly.
Hitonagashi

Post   Posted: Mar 15, 2012 - 17:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Loew wrote:
@Hitonagashi:
I'm a bit surprised by the lack of Break Tackle in your early skill choices. Obviously it works well for the lanterns... do you think this is the way for every Lizard team, or is it only good in a bash environment like the box?

I think, coaches whose positional play is not that good (yet), will profit from an early BT sauri blitzer in all environments

I'm a believer that you don't need Break Tackle on saurii. It is useful iff you lose multiple other saurii. At high TV in the box, having one or two BT is nice (which is why as soon as I get a dodge, I get BT after block and MB on it), as you tend to go players down a lot, and having someone that can dodge out of a tackle zone and smash the uncaged reciever is great.

My logic goes, taking Break Tackle as a "mass" skill is preparing yourself to go men down by removing your defensive skills. It's not a hard skill to develop to pair up your saurii in such a way that one can usually free another, and if they make a lone run, a skink mob usually suffices.

Without Mighty Blow, your saurii won't skill. Without Guard, you'll be introduced to new meanings of pain by orcs and dwarves(and leaping WD's!). Without Tackle, you have no way of stopping gutter runners and annoying elves.

Without Break Tackle....you have no way of making emergency dodges when your position breaks down?

I just don't rate it as a "core" skill on saurii.
propuppetmaster

Post   Posted: Mar 15, 2012 - 17:42 Reply with quote Back to top

block/frenzy/guard
BooAhl

Post   Posted: Mar 15, 2012 - 18:13 Reply with quote Back to top

I took side step and dodge on this ma8 ag3 Saurus, I hope it were the right skills.
maysrill

Post   Posted: Mar 15, 2012 - 18:18 Reply with quote Back to top

BooAhl wrote:
I took side step and dodge on this ma8 ag3 Saurus, I hope it were the right skills.

Should have fired him for the -AV/-AV and the niggling injury.
BooAhl

Post   Posted: Mar 15, 2012 - 19:05 Reply with quote Back to top

maysrill wrote:
BooAhl wrote:

Should have fired him for the -AV/-AV and the niggling injury.

But my goal is to have all 7 saurus at av7, so the Claw can't touch us. Im on my way there.
 Jump to: