11 coaches online • Server time: 05:57
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post SWL Season CIgoto Post RNG speculationsgoto Post Roster Stats - Snotl...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
OenarLod

Post   Posted: Feb 16, 2012 - 13:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi all.
Recently I fallen in love with humans (once again, after being my first BB love!) and I'm trying to improve my playstile with them. I have an average record with my team (19/11/10), but splitting it in two TV bands is more interesting:
below 1400TV - 12/5/1
above 1400TV - 7/6/9
We all know that humans are weaker the higher the TV, but I think the results highlight my main problem: I try to play human teams as a defense-player removal team and this works well only at low TV, at least for me.

I'm able, especially at low TV, at stopping my opponent scoring or force them to score fast, usually eliminating a few of his players in the process. Lot of skills and fast players let me outblock my opponents causing a few CAS/KO (with the help of some boots Smile ). Building from that, the offensive drive is usually a running/central game with a few swing in the final turns based on player/movement advantage.

But when the TV start to be higher, I find this approach to be problematic, mainly because its harder to outblock or hurt bash opponents. My last game is a pretty clear example of that. The defensive drive was ok, and my opponent scored in 5 turns, letting me a few turns to score. If I had sent one less player to threaten the ball carrier maybe I could have avoided its TD, but I was satisfied anyway. The two offensive drives, on the other hand, was two complete failure. I think the main issue was concetrating too much on getting 2d blocks trying to build a local numerical advantage. Failing to do that, I committed too early on a sideline (something I avoid at low TV) and it went downhill from that.

I tried to spec a few other humans coach that play at high TV, but unless some +AG blessed teams it seems to me that this one is the default tactic for humans, and when it fails it fails. Maybe my problem is just the luck of more MB/PO in this rebuilding phase, or is really something fundamentally wrong in my play.

So, great human coach out of there, how can I improve my offensive positional play?
Overhamsteren

Post   Posted: Feb 16, 2012 - 13:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Your team looks pretty good, maybe having a catcher or two more would give some needed speed to throw off the defense and a decent option for passing. I think I would have taken strong arm on the thrower since the blodge catchers seems to be running the ball most of the time anyway and although passing isn't the best idea I think it can often save an offensive drive for humans.

But looking forwards to hearing what the Human Pros have to say. Smile

Thanks to the BBRC for all the great work you did.
krytie

Post   Posted: Feb 16, 2012 - 15:03 Reply with quote Back to top

OenarLod wrote:
Hi all.
Recently I fallen in love with humans

Speak to Russo -- he'll soon knock that out of you, and get you back on the right track!

Post   Posted: Feb 16, 2012 - 15:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Buy a catcher, if it don't roll +AG in his first or second skillup, fire him and hire a new one (as fast as you heve enought money). This player, with wrestle, leap, strip ball and tackle (in this order) will be your main ball recover (and a very good one).
Do it with other difficult roll wishes, like another MA9 sure feet/dodge/sprinter for easyer OTT (a single push is all you need) or a ST4 blitzer.
If you want to be really competetive at high TV, you need some really good improvements in one or two players.
Fire a line...13th player are really too much under 1500-1600 TV

Otherwise, go on playing and lose become a poor coach, like me (as you can see from my terrible stats). I know how to do it, but I find it very boring Very Happy
NickNutria

Post   Posted: Feb 16, 2012 - 15:53 Reply with quote Back to top

A human team is not meant to outbash any opponent. Human teams start with lot's of skills soyou might try that early on, but it won't work later.
Remember humans can have 4 catchers and 2 throwers so it might be a good idea to try the passing game with them (only elf teams are better than humans doing this).

As human player you have on of the fastest teams out there with movement 7 blitzers and movement 8 catchers. Take advantage of that instead of fighting a blocking war that you cannot win.
OenarLod

Post   Posted: Feb 16, 2012 - 16:28 Reply with quote Back to top

NickNutria wrote:
A human team is not meant to outbash any opponent. Human teams start with lot's of skills soyou might try that early on, but it won't work later.

Agreed. In fact I don't want to outbash them, just to outnumber them! Deeper bench and surgical hit/fouling is the more appropriate human tactic I can think of. I'm able to execute that appropriately while on defense, but not on offense.

NickNutria wrote:
Remember humans can have 4 catchers and 2 throwers so it might be a good idea to try the passing game with them (only elf teams are better than humans doing this).

I try to avoid passing play on offense even with my high elves (only SPP farming), but I found easier to build a consistent running play with them than with humans...

NickNutria wrote:
As human player you have on of the fastest teams out there with movement 7 blitzers and movement 8 catchers. Take advantage of that instead of fighting a blocking war that you cannot win.

Here is the problem. I know I have to take advantage of that and I do at low TV (as I said, running game - switching side), but at low TV it rely on getting at least local numerical advantage. Since numerical advantage is harder to achieve (at least for me) at higher TV, I'm looking for hint on how to develop my running game through positioning.
gpope

Post   Posted: Feb 16, 2012 - 16:59 Reply with quote Back to top

OenarLod wrote:
Here is the problem. I know I have to take advantage of that and I do at low TV (as I said, running game - switching side), but at low TV it rely on getting at least local numerical advantage. Since numerical advantage is harder to achieve (at least for me) at higher TV, I'm looking for hint on how to develop my running game through positioning.

You say that you try to avoid committing to a sideline early, but you're going to find it hard to outmaneuver opponents unless you can get them to commit to one side or the other, and that usually won't happen unless you're willing to do the same. You can back out much more easily than a slower side can, so take advantage of that.

Don't fall into the trap of thinking that you have to account for every single opposing player, either. If you say "oh wait he has a safety waiting to blitz me when I make a break, better wait until I can build a number advantage" you are never going to score because that number advantage will never happen against a bashier team at these TVs. Especially when your player removal strategy is built around 1 MB and 1 DP! Just keep enough blitzers and linemen free (or in positions that you can get them free when needed) that you can build a loose screen ahead of your runner. Don't worry if he can punch through and stick a guy on your ballcarrier--as long as you have 1 more free guy than he does, just blitz him off and go.
larryellison

Post   Posted: Mar 22, 2012 - 12:14 Reply with quote Back to top

I will looking forward to apply some of your strategies I hope it will provide help to others.

Post   Posted: Mar 23, 2012 - 22:10 Reply with quote Back to top

This is gonna sound dumb, and perhaps it is... but humans really are one of the fastest teams. My running strategy is fake low, go high (or vice versa). Build a cage low, partially screened by your LOS guys so they can't completely surround it. Next turn, move it high. The 1-2 points of MV your pursuers lose trying to follow you back up can make a big difference in turning the corner.

f_alk

Post   Posted: Mar 23, 2012 - 22:27 Reply with quote Back to top

OenarLod wrote:
NickNutria wrote:

That's why you need your catchers and give them Guard on doubles. MA8 Dodge should give you that player where you need it, and with Guard you always get the assist you need.
 Jump to: