59 coaches online • Server time: 15:47
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Making Assassins mor...goto Post Borg Invasiongoto Post Meat Grinder Season ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
skinnydookie

Post   Posted: Oct 28, 2012 - 19:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi, can you use the pro skill on a kick off if you use the kick skill?

If so is this programmed into Fummbl? If the answer to either question is no I wont pick it but if the answer to both is yes I will.

Thanks in advance.
Garion

Post   Posted: Oct 28, 2012 - 19:36 Reply with quote Back to top

you can use it in the official rules, because Pro can be used for distance direction and scatter unlike normal re-rolls, but this is one of the small differences between the client and RL BB.

This isn't implemented and from previous discussions with Kalimar I don't think it ever will be, though he is considering allowing the RR for direction with Pro for the Fanatic, but that isnt in place yet.
Overhamsteren

Post   Posted: Oct 28, 2012 - 19:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion wrote:
you can use it in the official rules, because Pro can be used for distance, direction and scatter unlike normal re-rolls

Is it played like that in the big NAF tournaments?

Thanks to the BBRC for all the great work you did.
Garion

Post   Posted: Oct 28, 2012 - 19:57 Reply with quote Back to top

It should be yes, because they are the official rules. Pro can be used to RR distance direction and scatter.

It is a stupid rule but a rule none the less.

but would anyone ever take pro in those tournaments?
the_Sage

Post   Posted: Oct 28, 2012 - 20:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Well the official rules mention a player can reroll anything but armor, injury, or casualty with pro.
They also mention a coach can reroll anything but scatter, distance, direction, armor, injury or casualty with team reroll.

This has been interpreted as that pro may reroll scatter, distance, and direction.

However, I think these were added to the team reroll description because team reroll isn't player related, and otherwise people would think team rerolls could be used that way.
I think the authors didn't expect people to make that misinterpretation with the pro skill since it's player related, so didn't add these exceptions there.

So: even though the letter of the rules allow the use of pro on scatter & direction of kick-offs or inaccurate passes, I suspect the intention of the rule was in fact not to allow it.

Post   Posted: Oct 28, 2012 - 20:10 Reply with quote Back to top

This has been discussed on TFF Galak confirmed that this was intentional. The main reason for allowing it is so Fanatics can RR direction when moving. I will try and find the link later.
boruppeter

Post   Posted: Oct 28, 2012 - 20:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion and the_Sage, I just read the rules concerning kick off, the Pro skill and the Kick skill, and I didn't find anything that would say that you're allowed to reroll distance, direction or scatter... In fact, I would come to the conclusion that Pro does NOT allow you to reroll any of these as neither the scatter direction roll nor the distance roll are rolls made by a specific player. Kick doesn't change this, it only allows you to half the distance given by the distance roll. And with Pro, you may only reroll rolls that this specific player has made...
Garion

Post   Posted: Oct 28, 2012 - 20:22 Reply with quote Back to top

hmm interesting point, as you don't actually designate a kicked normally only when the kick skill is being used is it the case, so I'm not sure about kicking. As boruppeter says it has to be a roll the player is making.

But distance direction and scatter is definitely allowed to be RR'd with pro on other occasion.

Post   Posted: Oct 28, 2012 - 20:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Doesn't Pro only work on your own turn?

Does a kickoff count as that person's turn?

__Synn
Garion

Post   Posted: Oct 28, 2012 - 20:29 Reply with quote Back to top

no pro can be used when it is not your turn. It used to allow you to RR tentacles rolls in lrb4 remember.

Just checked the rules and it says you can only use it once a turn, so yeah it can be used in any ones turn, but no it cant be used for kicking at all.

Last edited by Garion on %b %28, %2012 - %20:%Oct; edited 2 times in total
boruppeter

Post   Posted: Oct 28, 2012 - 20:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, and I would say the difference with Fanatics is that it's the FAnatic's movement, so he makes his movement rolls, so the direction roll is a roll the Fanatic just made, hence it may be rerolled with Pro...

During kick off, the rules however state that the coach places the ball. "The ball will then scatter in a random direction. Using the scatter template, roll the eight-sided dice once...". So the direction roll is clearly not a roll made by a specific player. And as in the Kick skill, the direction is not even mentioned, I would come to the conclusion that the direction roll is not made by a specific player (even if he has the kick skill) and thus cannot be rerolled with Pro...
Garion

Post   Posted: Oct 28, 2012 - 20:37 Reply with quote Back to top

yeah agreed, not on kick. but other times yes.