64 coaches online • Server time: 23:42
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Designer's Comm...goto Post It's almost tim...goto Post Claw/MB
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Which Skill For Taylor Fladgate?
Guard
15%
 15%  [ 8 ]
Strong Arm
54%
 54%  [ 28 ]
Block
29%
 29%  [ 15 ]
Total Votes : 51

Rat_Salat

Post   Posted: Jan 22, 2013 - 10:04 Reply with quote Back to top

So...

My box high elves have been blessed with a +ag thrower.

http://www.fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=player&player_id=9130299

While the overlords have been winning consistently, the team is starting to sense a distinct lack of guard. Now, this isn't really the player I would prefer to take guard on, but beggars can't be choosers, can they? The alternative double would be strong arm, but I don't tend to play that downfield passing game, and it's not really worth taking unless you were planning on getting accurate as well is it?

Block would be the third option, which was going to be his skill before the double came along. Blodge is never bad, especially on a target like this one.
Dalfort

Post   Posted: Jan 22, 2013 - 10:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Strong arm would make all but long bombs 2+ and lb's 3+ with that nice AG5 he will not need Accurate, although Accurate would be 20k instead of 30k if TV weight is important to you... personally I like SA, but Block would serve him well too (is that not a normal roll too?) Guard, imo, would put him in unnecessary risk.

Of course that is just my thoughts and in my thoughts I actually know how to play this game even if the record shows otherwise :p

Either way enjoy him whilst you have him and I hope he reaches Legend quickly and painlessly.

TC Dal

Post   Posted: Jan 22, 2013 - 10:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, I'd Guard him up. Elven Throwers are Linos with access to Leader; so long as you don't waste it on a passing skill, you can't really go wrong.
Rat_Salat

Post   Posted: Jan 22, 2013 - 10:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Since I can't play anymore games in box until this is resolved, I'm just gonna take block. Still interested in hearing opinions though.
mr-maverick

Post   Posted: Jan 22, 2013 - 10:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Guard is the right choice, means he's useful on defence as well as offense

Post   Posted: Jan 22, 2013 - 10:33 Reply with quote Back to top

block is the choice imo. roll a double on someone else.

this guy needs next.: leap, sure hands -> best way to make a HE thrower work on deff must be as a ball retreiver. take NOS as a legend skill: jump in, and throw out. (he will die before but such a player would be pure awesomeness)
ErobererZim

Post   Posted: Jan 22, 2013 - 11:08 Reply with quote Back to top

I think Strong Arm is the right choice, so u can Stall so great with em deap in your Endzone and make the Longrange throw on an easy Way.

Guard I think isnt the best chice, u dont wanna go into a fight with an Saint AG5 Thrower.

Block is Good, but on an Thrower or an Passer like this isnt needet (when u roll a Double), he must make the 1Pass to glory. And when he be sacked the defending of your other players was BAD.
the_Sage

Post   Posted: Jan 22, 2013 - 11:14 Reply with quote Back to top

mr-maverick wrote:
Guard is the right choice, means he's useful on defence as well as offense

Few players are as good on defense as a good retriever following a sack.
My +AG delf runner is my only guard, and it means I sometimes need him in the thick during offense, which is bad.

The way I see it Reisender is right, and you made the right call, Rat. This player doesn't need doubles.
I went the exact same way with my own +AG Helf thrower, making him a retriever, and really enjoy him. It is very important to develop a good sacker to go with him, so I'd push my SPPs towards Quarles if I were you.

The only part where I disagree with Reisender, is that I'd take accurate over NoS for legend. With AG5 accurate, a quick pass is still only 2+ in 2 TZs, and you're rarely in more than that. Also, while getting IN requires leap, for getting back out AG5 is usually enough to get a 2+ dodge. I went with Reisender's reasoning and took NoS over accurate on an AG5 slann catcher, and really regretted it.

While NoS might be (a bit) better to pass from the middle of the opponent cage, accurate is much more versatile and much stronger on offense, thus letting the thrower hang further back. It's certainly what I'll give to mine if he lives to legend.
zakatan

Post   Posted: Jan 22, 2013 - 11:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Rat_Salat wrote:
Since I can't play anymore games in box until this is resolved, I'm just gonna take block. Still interested in hearing opinions though.

try using the backdoor

Post   Posted: Jan 22, 2013 - 11:50 Reply with quote Back to top

ErobererZim wrote:
I think Strong Arm is the right choice, so u can Stall so great with em deap in your Endzone and make the Longrange throw on an easy Way.

SA is hardly ever the right choice for an ag5 thrower, having accurate for the same effect and 10TV cheaper.

Post   Posted: Jan 22, 2013 - 11:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Guard is the right choice, he is just a lineman really, the pass skill is just a nice freebie once they get the leader skill.

Post   Posted: Jan 22, 2013 - 13:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Reisender: like this?

http://www.fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=player&player_id=9085049

Precicely the player you were talking about. He's a one-man wrecking crew on that team, and I don't see how he could be any worse on this one, especially with 4ag players to throw to, no animosity and two passing skills.

With that said, I suppose if you were going to build that theorybowl super-quarterback, you couldn't get much better of a chassis than a 5ag High Elf thrower. Seems it's raining 5ag throwers for me lately...

http://www.fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=player&player_id=9108589
http://www.fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=player&player_id=9124960

So much for leader/kick! Those guys are supposed to be saving me TV, not bloating my team.
zakatan

Post   Posted: Jan 22, 2013 - 13:39 Reply with quote Back to top

ag5 is not a bloat, is an asset

Post   Posted: Jan 22, 2013 - 14:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Voted strong arm before checking the player or reading your words. I'm just a sucker for 2+ long bombs(needs accurate at superstar level of course) Surprised

Thanks to the BBRC for all the great work you did.
maysrill

Post   Posted: Jan 22, 2013 - 14:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Guard was probably best. Block isn't bad though.

Author of Firehurler (Twinborn Trilogy Book #1), Aethersmith (Book #2), Sourcethief (Book #3)
 Jump to: