40 coaches online • Server time: 19:22
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post GIF Guidegoto Post Finishing the 60 Gam...goto Post TSC Draft
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
sann0638

Post   Posted: Jul 30, 2013 - 23:01 Reply with quote Back to top

So a year ago I posted a blog asking about Clawpomb domination in Leagues: http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=blog&coach=47437&id=11426

One of the comments (from Garion) was "give it a year". Well here we are. Any Leagues where Clawpomb teams are dominant?

Mike

PS not sure why I've move to Forums, I still don't know the difference. Someone should update the Help section about it!

Post   Posted: Jul 30, 2013 - 23:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Do you mean which forum this should be in? League. I shall move it for you.

(As well as, oh dear, see you in several pages, again...)
huff

Post   Posted: Jul 30, 2013 - 23:13 Reply with quote Back to top

It's too good. League may not be the best section because of how OP they know it is, so it is frowned upon or used with house rules.

Easy fix: Make Claw and PO just like Frenzy and Grab. If you take (or have) one you can't take the other. No crazy rule changes or skill changes involved.

And thank you for your work on this game we love brotha.
sann0638

Post   Posted: Jul 30, 2013 - 23:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Purplegoo wrote:
Do you mean which forum this should be in? League. I shall move it for you.

(As well as, oh dear, see you in several pages, again...)

Thanks, noob error. Both of them...

But if there is the faintest chance that people could stick to answering the actual question, that would be lovely!

(thanks huff, though)

Post   Posted: Jul 30, 2013 - 23:21
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

It's an interesting question. I've not played a lot of leagues on here but tabletop the ones I've played it certainly hasn't dominated. I don't think anyone even went for it.

Partly it's because most leagues play a set number of games and then start over and claw pomb takes a while to set up.

If you're talking just perpetual leagues then it can be set up, but I still haven't seen the problem. I would theorise this is to do with it being much less of a problem in a non-tv matched environment.

It's very effective with a min-max strategy but min max itself isn't effective in a scheduled league (obviously being lean is better than bloated but each team finds it's own effective level).

I think the main reason though is that in leagues people are all trying to win every game and it isn't a very effective winning strategy. It can be unreliable and will lose to ag4 blodge almost every time
Beerox

Post   Posted: Jul 30, 2013 - 23:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Nothing to offer but this...

It's hard to look at a full season slate of bashers and retain a good attitude. When they start taking over numbers-wise, and you're getting pomb'd 10+ times a game all season long, it ain't fun or interesting at all. .02
licker

Post   Posted: Jul 30, 2013 - 23:32 Reply with quote Back to top

I think it's there in 'uncontrolled' leagues. Though it often isn't the usual suspect, but rather a skaven team that has one or two (or three) CPOMBers to go along with the obvious gutter dominance.

Many leagues do discourage or restrict it though, so a general statement based off of all leagues is difficult to arrive at.

None the less, over time, the cpomb heavy teams should continue to perform well, even if they don't always have the titles to show for it, any elf team that avoids serious injuries during the course of a season should still the upper hand in a single cup/playoff game.
Garion

Post   Posted: Jul 30, 2013 - 23:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Oh boy, opening up a can of worms here...

Yes cpomb is too powerful at removing players from the pitch, everyone knows it, but is it too powerful for winning... maybe, who knows.

There are a number of leagues where CPOMB is thriving but not dominating, over time Obba has seen more CPOMB teams in the top division and one won the cup last season iirc, and if I were to guess the longer the divisions go on the more I would expect cpomb to grow.

However I think you will never get a bunch of stats that say yes cpomb is broken conclusively, there are just far too many variables to get any real idea of anything.

Also how would you measure dominating? would you say dominating is only having cpomb teams win everything, because that will never happen. Or would you say Cpomb strongly effecting the way every team has to build now is dominating, or the decline of certain races from League play like orcs... and so on.

I know I have heard members of NBFL complaining big time on IRC about how CPOMB has become dominant in their league. they have a super bowl at the end of every season and it is my understanding a number of these teams are CPOMB, however some frogs won it last year.

So is that just a few people complaining or the general consensus.

I cant see this thread going anywhere tbh. But if you are asking for opinions, mine would be the kill stack has had a negative impact on the game as a whole, on this site as a whole, on the standard of coaching which imo has taken a major nose dive, its had a negative impact on positional play, it has led towards higher risk reward strategies and less focus on positional play. This is just how I see it and to me these are all negative things.

Will you get anything more concrete that this.... no. you are going to get a load of pages of opinions and no more.

so take from it what you will.

Post   Posted: Jul 30, 2013 - 23:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion wrote:
if you are asking for opinions, mine would be the kill stack has had a negative impact on the game as a whole, on this site as a whole, on the standard of coaching which imo has taken a major nose dive, its had a negative impact on positional play, it has led towards higher risk reward strategies and less focus on positional play. This is just how I see it and to me these are all negative things.

QFT, +1, Great minds.. Et all.
licker

Post   Posted: Jul 30, 2013 - 23:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion wrote:
I know I have heard members of NBFL complaining big time on IRC about how CPOMB has become dominant in their league. they have a super bowl at the end of every season and it is my understanding a number of these teams are CPOMB, however some frogs won it last year.

For what it's worth...

3 of the last 4 superbowl teams have been cpomb, with the frogs the lone exception.

The last 2 superbowls were the only 2 where the cpomb craze seemed fully embraced/had the time to fully mature under the new team building rules.

That's a small sample size, but indicative of what I believe. Over time the cpomb teams will remain closer to 'form' than the other teams. Not that that guarantees them of anything, but it does keep them closer to being at their competitive best.

When I look at the make up of many leagues I certainly think how a well coached CD team should be able to dominate. Not Nurgs or Chaos so much, but CD, hell yeah.
sann0638

Post   Posted: Jul 30, 2013 - 23:49 Reply with quote Back to top

OK cool, good snapshot, thanks.

Post   Posted: Jul 30, 2013 - 23:54 Reply with quote Back to top

If people don't like it, nerf it. Simple.

That's why [L]eague is King. Wink

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2013 - 00:00 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
If people don't like it, nerf it. Simple.

That's why [L]eague is King. Wink

Indeed and a number of nerf cpomb leagues are thriving I know of 2 European ones 2 USA time zone leagues and a German only league that all have cpomb nerfs, if it wasn't a big problem there wouldn't be so many of these leagues about.

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2013 - 00:09 Reply with quote Back to top

So yeah last season in OBBA Necromantic won the Premiership but had no mighty blow or piling on on their wolves as far as I can tell. The relegations where orcs, orcs, and nurgle with no claw. Pythrr's orcs who have won a lot of titles including the previous premiership+cup was one of the relegated.

One thing to note about OBBA is the extreme lack of elves and rats, the top 18 teams have featured 1 elf and 1 dark elf teams for the past seasons if I'm not mistaken, the dark efs might even be new. It is extremely bash heavy which of course makes claw better at winning, the few agility teams face attrition pretty much every match, and just the low number of agility teams makes it less likely for one of them to win it all of course.

And yes the cup was won by nurgle with a clawplomber and some clawmb and plomb.

mister__joshua wrote:
It's very effective with a min-max strategy but min max itself isn't effective in a scheduled league (obviously being lean is better than bloated but each team finds it's own effective level).

Thing is Chaos and Nurgle don't min/max, they just max and blow teams of the pitch.

Thanks to the BBRC for all the great work you did.
Nightbird

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2013 - 00:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion wrote:

I cant see this thread going anywhere tbh. But if you are asking for opinions, mine would be the kill stack has had a negative impact on the game as a whole, on this site as a whole, on the standard of coaching which imo has taken a major nose dive, its had a negative impact on positional play, it has led towards higher risk reward strategies and less focus on positional play. This is just how I see it and to me these are all negative things.

Sooooooooo much +1.

Please someone fix this game I love Exclamation

Jump to: