21 coaches online • Server time: 04:05
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Designer's Comm...goto Post Why did GW nerf guar...goto Post Cindy Piewhistle
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
cthol

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2013 - 13:38 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm running three bug guys on this pact team, and I've been lucky enough to roll three doubles and get them all block. But where do we go from here? I've taken grab on the Ogre and Troll, and guard on the Ogre and Mino, but I'm not sure about even these. I mean, ok, guard is pretty useful all round, but has anyone used grad to great effect? What about multiple block? is it generally worth it? I want to avoid Piling On, since it just puts them on the deck (also I think it's broken as a mechanic, but that's a whole other debate...Smile ).

I'd be interested to see if anyone has any other thoughts on big guy development, and if anyone else feels that bug guys kind of have to go down the skill drainpipe with few options unless they roll doubles. Do we just end up with a load of cookie cutter big guys? Or is there room for some creativity?
bghandras

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2013 - 13:43 Reply with quote Back to top

You could consider break tackle. I like it more than grab. Probably best on Minotaur.

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2013 - 13:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, you've gunked them all up by starting with Block, but maybe I can help.

Ogre - He's on the team for TTM attempts. Your doubles ought to have been either Pass or Accurate. One of the normal rolls should have been Strong Arm. Guard is fine.

Troll - While Block on a troll isn't all that bad, Tentacles might have been a more "winning" option. He's not there to throw blocks, generally, but to occupy a space and tie things up. While Block makes him harder to knock down, in many cases people can just dodge away from him instead. SF and Guard are both good options to pair with it.

Minotaur - Personally, I sort of like Frentacles (Frenzy + Tentacles for multi-turn surfing), but Claw was also an option. Juggernaut is the logical choice with either one, since you commit to blitzing with a mino when you take one. (Tents makes it more likely that someone sticks in his TZ to normal blitz though).

Author of Firehurler (Twinborn Trilogy Book #1), Aethersmith (Book #2), Sourcethief (Book #3)
cthol

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2013 - 14:11 Reply with quote Back to top

wow, I didn't expect to be chastised for taking block on them! I think break tackle next for the Mino, because as you say he pretty much has to blitz every turn, but tentacles is also very tempting.

Might also try tents on the troll.

Not at all sure about the TTM options though. I am seriously in two minds about whether I want to develop that side of the game at all, it just seems so haphazard. Still, the goblin has to do something, I guess.
cthol

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2013 - 15:00 Reply with quote Back to top

it would be totally cool if a tentacles player was able to drag other players with him when he moved. Maybe he should have to pass a ST roll, kind of like opponents have to if they want to leave his TZ. I could just see a Mino with tentacles grabbing a bunch of linemen, walking over to the sideline and tossing them into the crowd, then going back for more. He would basically be like a gigantic, terrifying, tentacled hoover. Man, I totally want one now...
mister__joshua

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2013 - 15:12
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

For a big guy who 'may' throw a team mate every now and again Pro is a pretty good option. Not as reliable for throwing, but useful for other stuff too, including things you probably wouldn't normally re-roll like bonehead.

Block is always good though. Can't have enough block for me.

Mr. J's LRB7 / Forum
Smeat

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2013 - 15:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Grab is useful if you want to control field position. Puts the target where you want them, or moves them where you don't want them. Against a coach who is better at field position than you, it's a nice equalizer, and if you're already good at positioning, it's a gift. (It also negates Sidestep for surfing, good vs skinks, ogre's snotlings, certain elves, etc.)

cthol wrote:
wow, I didn't expect to be chastised for taking block on them!

Block is never "bad", but it invites... well. blocking.

And that invites a nega-trait roll, and failure - which is why many coaches don't prefer to use their BG's to Block (regularly), only for position. (And why multi-block isn't as popular as on +St players w/ no negatrait.)

(If you're going to take Block, the Minotaur is the one for it - the Wild Animal negatrait invites Blocking/Blitzing, and w/ Frenzy that's potentially 2 blocks with/without the Block skill, and WA's don't lose TZ's if the roll fails - so it's zero opportunity lost to try to block someone and doubly better to actually have Block. That one you won't regret.)

So "passive" skills like Tentacles or Guard become a higher-value choice, making them better at what they do 100% of the time - and many BG's can be, should be MUCH more than St 5 linos. You said it yourself - don't have to be cookiecutter.

That said, there is no better target for my BG with no Block than another BG with no Block - evens up the field. If that other BG has Block... urgh...

maysrill wrote:
Ogre - He's on the team for TTM attempts...

He can serve other purposes - not every team/coach uses a lot of TTM. But, yeah, TTM is a nice weapon to have in your pocket, and skilling that for those occasions might have been a better call. Pro helps anything/everything they might do, even just standing up after being knocked down.

(...and what exactly do you think they do with all those dead players?...)
the_Sage

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2013 - 16:18 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd say block on Troll and Ogre was right (followed by guard and stand firm). The Mino should have gotten claw, then PO, then jugger if no second doubles.
Smeat

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2013 - 16:24 Reply with quote Back to top

It's a Ranked team - if Box, yes on Claw. In Ranked... mmmm... :/

(...and what exactly do you think they do with all those dead players?...)
the_Sage

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2013 - 16:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Smeat wrote:
It's a Ranked team - if Box, yes on Claw. In Ranked... mmmm... :/

It's a pact team with 3 big guys: it'll get games. =D
huff

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2013 - 17:05 Reply with quote Back to top

If only this was the Chaos themed team that got mutations on normal rolls, then you could have some real fun. Stand Firm is a great/annoying normal skill after guard for troll and the ogre though.
Overhamsteren

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2013 - 17:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Can't go wrong with block, guard, standfirm.

Thanks to the BBRC for all the great work you did.
bghandras

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2013 - 17:57 Reply with quote Back to top

I would not bother with TTM either. So i would not get pass accurate or strong arm.
Pro is nuts on big guys, but that is a double too.

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2013 - 18:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Don't discount TTM. I probably use it more than is sensible, but it did get me the all-time top star, top scorer, top rushing Pact Goblin in R, with more TDs than the rest of the team combined. And yes, there's risk involved, but he also made it to be the 2nd oldest Pact Gob ever.

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2013 - 18:48 Reply with quote Back to top

You can try it without skill too. I would not buy a skill for that.