37 coaches online • Server time: 18:22
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...goto Post Blood Bowl 2024 Edit...goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'S
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Which sub-optimal skill for Beast?
Fend
47%
 47%  [ 10 ]
Wrestle
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Dauntless
23%
 23%  [ 5 ]
Kick
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Strip Ball
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Leap
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Shadowing
19%
 19%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 21

Rat_Salat

Post   Posted: Apr 30, 2014 - 00:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Well it's not really a problem, I just really could have used a double or stat by now.

Here is the team.

Fend seems to work pretty well. You probably can't have too much strip ball on an elf team. I'm not taking frenzy, because this guy spends his life in base contact and frenzy is for blitzers, not ST3 marking players.

Would Shadowing completely suck?
Wreckage

Post   Posted: Apr 30, 2014 - 00:39 Reply with quote Back to top

I think kick is a solid choice, but it's also kinda sad because that is a really good player who could profit from a good skill.

You know I'm not a huge fan of Fend but it combos sort of with the other skills and it's a player worthy of that sort of protection.

So, I'm gonna go with Fend.

PS: I think Shadowing sucks and nobody in his sane mind is gonna dodge from a DT in the first place..

Last edited by Wreckage on %b %30, %2014 - %00:%Apr; edited 1 time in total
Bullroarer4

Post   Posted: Apr 30, 2014 - 00:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Jump Up, possibly? I, personally, would put kick on one of the Line fodder.

Post   Posted: Apr 30, 2014 - 00:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Fend is useful, particularly in the current ultra smashy metagame, but doesn't help his job.

Dauntless is always helpful, but I would get it on your other blitzer with mighty blow, or on the wrestling catcher.

Wrestle isn't that useful, since beast already has block, and you want him standing to use diving tackle as much as possible.

Get kick on the next lineman who get's a basic skill. You have five of them. Basic elf teams don't have that many positionals and can always fit linemen in places besides "getting smashed on the LOS" duty to kick.

I would only get Leap on either your dedicated ball sacker or someone who go +AG. Jumping around on a +3 will use up a LOT of rerolls, so should only be used in desperate situations. Jumping on a +2, however, is a wonderful thing. It isn't to difficult to push a corner of a cage, then move in Beast to mark the ball.

Strip ball is handy, but you really shouldn't be hitting the ball carrier that often with this guy. You already have it on a wrestle equipped catcher, this guy's job is to keep the ball in place till you can get that guy in position.

Shadowing is really useful on a blodge diving tackler. An agility four player (effectively reduced to two agility) would still be able to dodge away 75% of the time, if they have a reroll. Shadowing gives you more chances for them to fail the dodge. This is a nightmarish position for a weak ball carrier to be in, particularly strength 2 ones (such as most catchers, or gutter runners). This gives you more turns to hold the ball in position, while also giving your enemy something they will desperately fear.

I would also consider Jump Up. If your guy is knocked down, the enemy coach will have to do a lot to keep you from marking the ball again.
Rat_Salat

Post   Posted: Apr 30, 2014 - 00:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Wreck - shadowing works when blocking players move as well, which limits blocking options close to this guy, especially if you're taking a cage corner. Still a meh choice though.

I'm okay with taking kick, but strip ball is never bad. This guy really needed a stat or guard, might start marking clawpombers with him soon.
JimmyFantastic

Post   Posted: Apr 30, 2014 - 01:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Retirement

Post   Posted: Apr 30, 2014 - 01:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Fend for me, combos well with his other skills.

Under LRB4 Frenzy would have been a good skill on such a player, not sure about CRP, but the ability to either dodge away from DT or get surfed (and Side Step can help him to get into an even better position to accomplish that) should still be pretty good. As Frenzy doesn't require a double anymore, it's probably better to wait for a STR 4 player to frenzy with though.
Rat_Salat

Post   Posted: Apr 30, 2014 - 01:07 Reply with quote Back to top

I suspect frenzy would lead to a lot of frustrating situations where I can't block with my best player because he's tied up with guard or positioning. If I take a frenzy player, it will be a catcher.

Meh. I'm just going to take strip ball and break his neck dodging into cages.
fidius

Post   Posted: Apr 30, 2014 - 01:08 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't think DT and Shadowing go together, you use one or the other, never both, no synergy whatsoever. I'd only go Fend if he had a doubles or two and was worth protecting. I'd choose Jump Up for the synergy with DT, and for the potential extra block once he goes down. If he's going to be marking cage corners (and I'm assuming he will), JU will force your opponent to get the cage the heck out of there rather than risk an extra smack from your guy. Plus the mobility can be pretty huge, especially as surprise factor -- people forget about JU all the time.
Wreckage

Post   Posted: Apr 30, 2014 - 01:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Rat_Salat wrote:
Meh. I'm just going to take strip ball and break his neck dodging into cages.

So, in the end you took a skill not a single person agreed on.

Looks good on him, though.

IMHO, it's the best player on your team.
ahalfling

Post   Posted: Apr 30, 2014 - 01:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, I'd go shadowing or jump up.

(Hell, I ran a forward passing orc team back in the '90s. You probably shouldn't listen to me. Ever.)
Jeffro

Post   Posted: Apr 30, 2014 - 01:44 Reply with quote Back to top

I think Fend would have worked better with the other skills you had taken, but another stripper is never a bad idea for a race that predicates itself on playing the ball.
Roland

Post   Posted: Apr 30, 2014 - 07:40 Reply with quote Back to top

jump up
Megrim

Post   Posted: Apr 30, 2014 - 08:07 Reply with quote Back to top

How do you not have Jump Up when you have Diving Tackle?
DrPoods

Post   Posted: Apr 30, 2014 - 08:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Jump up for me too.

Jump to: