24 coaches online • Server time: 09:37
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Blood Bowl 2024 Edit...goto Post SWL Season CIgoto Post RNG speculations
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
First skill for my dark elf runner? Consider next opponents are high elves, gobblins, then ogres in that order.
nerves-of-steel
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
dodge
85%
 85%  [ 12 ]
block
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 14

rocketdeath

Post   Posted: May 10, 2014 - 17:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Hey guys I just wanted to hear some opinions from other coaches. I'm running a dark elf team and I just leveled my runner to level 2. I cant decide between nerves of steel, dodge, or block. I plan on using dump-off enough to justify nerves of steel. But he is AV7 and if hes going to be getting hit it makes sense to have defensive skills as well. With block I could use him for attacking as well as getting hit and but dodge though would help with dodgeing and protect against stumbles and if hes gonna have the ball dodge could very useful, also if hes dodgeing in to scoop up an enemy's dropped ball and then he can be hit and dump off pass it out of there while still staying in their way if hes on his feet. I'm leaning towards dodge but its close and I just want to hear what other coaches opinions are and reasons for them to help me decide. My next week opponent is a high elf team with two blodge level 2 blitzers, a rookie thrower, and the rest are rookie lineman including a loner. Then after the high elves I have a gobblin team and then an ogre team opponents on deck. Thanks guys
JimmyFantastic

Post   Posted: May 10, 2014 - 17:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Dodge

Post   Posted: May 10, 2014 - 17:34 Reply with quote Back to top

dodge huh? that's what I'm thinking too. why do you say dodge?
Kam

Post   Posted: May 10, 2014 - 18:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Welcome to Fumbbl!

You should play a few games here, it's fun place. Smile

What is a level 2 player? A guy with 2 skills?

Post   Posted: May 10, 2014 - 18:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Dodge then Surehands or Surehands then Dodge. Block then Sidestep as 3rd and 4th skill.

His job is to pick up the ball and run with it, surehands helps with picking it up and dodge helps with the running, both also protect against players trying to knock the ball loose.

Thanks to the BBRC for all the great work you did.
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: May 10, 2014 - 18:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Dodge, then Sure Hands, then Block, then choice of Accurate, Nerves of Steel, or Side Step at 51 SPP. Doubles can be Guard or can be ignored.

Post   Posted: May 10, 2014 - 21:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Kam wrote:
Welcome to Fumbbl!

You should play a few games here, it's fun place. Smile

What is a level 2 player? A guy with 2 skills?

a level two player is a player that gets to 6spp and earns its first skill other than its starting skills. Is that what you were asking?
rocketdeath

Post   Posted: May 10, 2014 - 21:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Overhamsteren wrote:
Dodge then Surehands or Surehands then Dodge. Block then Sidestep as 3rd and 4th skill.

His job is to pick up the ball and run with it, surehands helps with picking it up and dodge helps with the running, both also protect against players trying to knock the ball loose.

Yea but I don't think sure hands is really worth it on a dark elf runner. first of all, they have 4AG so he'll pick up an open ball on a 2+ and a marked ball on a 3+, also he has dump off and I plan on arranging my players to exploit the dump-off skill often so I wont really be worrying about the strip ball skill as he wont be trying to hold the ball while taking hits generally. Plus none of my opponents have strip ball at this point so I don't think it's going to be an urgent threat.
rocketdeath

Post   Posted: May 10, 2014 - 21:42 Reply with quote Back to top

JackassRampant wrote:
Dodge, then Sure Hands, then Block, then choice of Accurate, Nerves of Steel, or Side Step at 51 SPP. Doubles can be Guard or can be ignored.

Im basically leaning towards either dodge or nerves of steel at this point. Do you or does anybody know how much nerves with steel will effect the statistics of dumpoffs? If I knew the exact statistical benefit given by nerves of steel I think I would be able to decide and I cant seem to find it anywhere. Where could I find what the chances of my AG4 runner making a successful dumpoff pass roll is / what I need on the die and statistics of success? Also what I'll need on the die and the statistics of successful dumpoff pass after taking nerves of steel? And also how that skill would effect interception statistics when marking a receiver?
Winni

Post   Posted: May 10, 2014 - 21:50 Reply with quote Back to top

rocketdeath wrote:
level 2

A very very cute kitten dies everytime you say that.

Post   Posted: May 10, 2014 - 21:52 Reply with quote Back to top

1 in every 6 times you roll the dice it will be a 1, taking sure hands massively reduces the chance of failure - especially if the ball is in a tackle zone. You really don't want to burn team rr in picking up the ball.

And then sometimes it rains.

You will also find that dump off is very unreliable - especially if you don't have any skills to make it better there will be normally like a 50% chance to either fumble the ball or have it intercepted

Still, I voted dodge, but definitely sure hands next...
sorat

Post   Posted: May 10, 2014 - 22:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Dodge. or Dodge. or Dodge. or Dodge. or +stat.

oh, you rolled normal? Dodge.

Post   Posted: May 10, 2014 - 23:27 Reply with quote Back to top

I would build him like so:

1) Sure Hands
2) Nerves of Steel
3) Leader

Since his job is to pick up the ball, sure hands is a no-brainer. His second job is to dump the ball off to one of your real players, thus nerves of steel. Finally, if he gets enough MVPs and completions to reach 31spp, I would give him leader, as he already has all the skills needed to do his job.

Now, for the reasons not to use a runner:

1) They are AV7 without easy access to blodge
2) They leech SPP away from your real positional players
3) They bloat your TV by costing 10TV more than a lineman, then picking up offensive skills you may never use
4) They contribute nothing defensively

Unlike other elf throwers, which have most of the same issues, runners aren't well-suited to increasing your fast-strike offensive capability. The strategic options they open are usually inferior to simply using proper positioning in the first place.
DrakkDevil

Post   Posted: May 10, 2014 - 23:39 Reply with quote Back to top

You want a ball-carrier? DODGE. Like a boss. Then block. Try dirty player for giggles - always worth it for fun on an elf team Smile
JimmyFantastic

Post   Posted: May 10, 2014 - 23:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah to be fair I suggested blodge just so he could be somewhat useful.

In a perfect world I would build him like so:

1) Retire.