16 coaches online • Server time: 03:36
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Designer's Comm...goto Post It's almost tim...goto Post Claw/MB
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Apojar

Post   Posted: Jun 20, 2014 - 02:25 Reply with quote Back to top

CHEFCTER: Well, friends, it's finally happened. Enough of you have "bleated" us on "Blitzer", our new social network, and asked... nay, BEGGED us to include an Expansion Draft show into the programming for this time of year. Kill Wiper Jr. and I put our heads together, and said "Well, why not?" So, here we are once again..

WIPER JR: It wasn't like it was that hard to convince us to add this feature to the show.. We LOVE what we do every year for the NBFL. They're by far the best league going, so it's a win-win!

CHEFCTER: Couldn't agree more with you there, Killy.. Unlike our opinion on draft picks, we're completely in unison on this new segment, folks. So, without any further delay, let's dive right into our 1st ever segment on the NBFL Expansion Draft Analysis and Review Show.

WIPER JR: By now, you all know how this works. We analyze the rosters as they appear on draft day, and award a grade based on our personal feelings as to how the rookie will have an impact on the squad. So, let's go go go!!!!

1. NEW TOMB

Race: Khemri
Player Selected: Eric Metcalf (CLE)
Skills: +AG, Block, Mighty Blow, +AG - 51 points.
Position: Throw-Ra
Grade: A

WIPER JR: I'd like to take you back to the last time we sat in these beloved chairs. It was a cold winter in mid-January, and surprisingly enough, the previous ownership in Dorfinapolis also had the first overall pick (however, this was in the main draft body, not the Expansion draft). What did they take? A dwarven Runner with a bonus to ST and AG. What grade did we give them? An A...

Folks, Khemri are a big, physical team, it's true. Rookie coach DrPoods, however, understands that in order to actually WIN Blood Bowl matches, you have to score TDs. When Metcalf comes on board, the idea of having to worry about ball handling now goes out the window. That facet of the game is completely solid, as long as he can stay "healthy".

CHEFCTER: How do Khemri stay healthy, Killy?

WIPER JR: Don't really know, Stabbem. He just needs to show up on the pitch every game. Now, I understand that there will be people out there that would say "but Kill, Khemri teams are almost universally defined by their Tomb Guardians..."

This is almost a 100% factual statement, HOWEVER.

When you analyze what is out there in the Big Guy department, as well as the Blitzer categories (because, let's face it, NOBODY should be using a high draft choice on a skeleton...), Metcalf is just SO far above and beyond what the other players are in their respective positions, there's just no way to pass up such a rare talent.

Coach DrPoods knows he has another pick coming up in the Expansion Draft (no. 6), and simply takes the best player available. How can you not give that an A?

CHEFCTER: I really can't fault your argument in the least, Killy. Khemri that can actually move and pick up the ball are dangerous indeed. My turn to jump in with #2...

2. HERTHSTONE

Race: Dwarven
Player Selected: Trevor Flyton (CLE)
Skills: Juggernaut, Block, Mighty Blow, Piling On, Jump Up - 133 points.
Position: Runner
Grade: F

CHEFCTER: I couldn't disagree any more with this pick, Kill. A Runner on a Dwarf team is on the squad to RUN AWAY, not run AT people.

They wear less armor (av8 vs. av9). They have Sure Hands so they can handle a ball. With this pick, coach Pentalarc is asking Flyton to completely change what he's all about.

WIPER JR: Whom do you think Herthstone should have drafted then, Stabby?

CHEFCTER: Here's the story. The upper brass in Herthstone know they have another pick coming in this expansion draft (no. 5). They also know that, now that Eric Metcalf is off the board, the remaining crop of Skilled players is not a tremendous fit for a Dwarven squad.

If, however, you look at what is available in the Blitzer section, there are 3 outstanding names that would really fit a young Dwarven squad nicely. If you were to ask me personally, I would have addressed a Troll Slayer right away, as Steve Van Bashem is there waiting with Dodge, Tackle, Mighty Blow, Guard, Stand Firm. That's a dreamy Troll Slayer there, Kill. He's the guy that should have went to Hersthstone. He just fits the game plan of Dwarven play so perfectly.

WIPER: Well, if you were to think that you could get an extra Piling On player right away out of someone that you wouldn't expect it out of, doesn't that at least count for something?

CHEFCTER: Not in this case, Kill. You only get two Runners for your squad. You don't want one of them specifically designated to Piling on duties. Any of the Blockers, Blitzers, or Slayers can be trained to Pile On. This just seems like a real waste for Dwarves.

WIPER JR: To each his own, Stabby. Let me get into number 3, the first of two coming from...

3. CLEAVE LAND

Race: Dark Elf
Player Selected: David Attacker (SEA)
Skills: Block, Kick, Dirty Player - 31 points
Position: Lineman
Grade: B+

WIPER JR: Folks, if you're looking for super sexy, high-profile players to always be drafted, and never worry about the solid support that lies underneath in a good squad, you don't understand how to construct a football squad...

Coach BillBrasky, who will now be heading a much different style, slightly more peace-minded Dark Elf squad, starts right away by grabbing a player that will serve him so very well right from the start, and here's why.

Coaches, you ever get to that point in the mid-range development of your team where you know you need someone with Kick, and you know you really should get a Dirty Player? Bill grabs it right out of the gate, and no longer has to worry about developing 2 different lineman for these thankless skills.

This is an extremely solid pick-up for a Dark Elf team. One player, a Lineman no less whom, as an aside, are the HARDEST to skill up on a Dark Elf team, is now skilled to his potential. I'm sure if you asked BillBrasky, he'd tell you that he would hope Attacker never gained another SPP again. It's not uber-seccksi, but let's remember: they own back-to-back picks in the Expansion Draft. Let's see if their next pick is seccksier...

4. CLEAVE LAND

Race: Dark Elf
Player Selected: DJ Jefferson (SEA)
Skills: Piling On, Mighty Blow, Jump Up - 31 points
Position: Blitzer

CHEFCTER: Remember what Mr. Wiper Jr. said about being slightly more peace-minded? Throw that out the window with this pick.

Bill doesn't pick the highest-point player that's out there. There's simply no need. Jefferson is going to be getting points at quite a rapid rate with his skill set. Bill can now keep his points level down, hoping to play a bit of the handicap metagame in his early matches, while also understanding that he has some good choices coming in the Main Draft (#'s 10 and 33).

A solid choice for starting out the squad.

5. HERTHSTONE

Race: Dwarf
Player Selected: Josie Skull (CHI)
Skills: Stand Firm, Mighty Blow, Guard, and some extremely rare skill called Taclke
Position: Blitzer
Grade: B

WIPER JR: This is a "pretty good" pick. They go for a Blitzer type, which is the right area to look, based on depth of choices, and needs.

Looking at what is available to choose from, Van Bashem is miraculously STILL there. He comes with the same skill set as Skull does, but also comes with Dodge. Dodge forces the opponent to commit a Tackle or Taclke player out to deal with you. It's a real nuisance to deal with Blodgers on a Dwarven team. It seems like they just missed out on a really dynamic player that was out there.

In the end, this was the correct position to draft from. Either a Troll Slayer or a Blitzer would have sufficed. We at BSDN (Blood Sports Daily Network) feel that there was a better player available for the taking.

6. NEW TOMB

Race: Khemri
Player Selected: Michael Bargen (CLE)
Skills: Block, Guard, Mighty Blow, Break Tackle - 60 points
Position: Tomb Guardian

CHEFCTER: This is the second pick in the Expansion Draft for the newest addition to the AFC East. They're going to need beef to deal with both New Angryland and Miami. They look for a Big Guy to add to the front lines, and they grab the best one available. Bargen has been around in the league for a while, so knows what it takes to deal with the likes of those other power houses in the division.

Right position to draft, right player drafted. Hard to argue.

WIPER JR: That leaves me to address the last pick of this year's Expansion Draft. Let's have a go.

7. IN-SANE LOUIS

Race: Chaos
Player Selected: Payup Manning {IND)
Skills: Wrestle, Tackle, Jump Up, Side Step, +AG - 96 points
Position: Beastman
Grade: C

WIPER JR: I don't quite know what direction coach Garnak was going with this pick. If I had to guess, I would think that he was looking for a good support beastman to work up in front of the Chaos Warriors.

Manning has a wide array of skills, but they're very spread out. He doesn't do anything well, but he can do a lot of different things. For a support beast, it seems there's better choices to make.

Looking down the list of who remains, there's a few names out there that would fit the bill very well.

Foster is there with Block, Mighty Blow, Tackle -42 points
Either of the Slaughter brothers are available.
Eric Wood also remains, sitting there with Block, Mighty Blow - 28 points.

Any of those 4 would be an excellent support beast for the existing squad. Manning is an above average Beastman, but it just seems a more immediate impact can be made by picking up one of the Guard players left in the pool.

CHEFCTER: Well, folks, that does it. The first ever special on the NBFL Expansion Draft comes to a close.
Think you'll want to do this one again, Killy?

WIPER JR: Good Nuffle, you know it! Let's make them draft again NOW!

CHEFCTER: Hold on there, Killy. We still have the Main Draft to grade as it finishes. We'll be back on set very soon with this season's edition of the NBFL Draft Analysis and Review show. Stay tuned!
keggiemckill

Post   Posted: Jun 20, 2014 - 02:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Nice work Apo!

Jeffro
DrPoods

Post   Posted: Jun 20, 2014 - 02:45 Reply with quote Back to top

As the New Tomb Jetz GM as well, I must say how delighted we are with how the draft turned out for us. Metcalf and Bargen were the perfect selections for us at this point in time. The pre draft position was that Metcalf would probably go first, however we felt that it was somewhat dependent on the other expansion races.

I'll tell ya guys, when we saw that it would be Dwarves and Dark Elves there was dancing in the necropolis long in to the night. These teams made the risk of losing out on Bargen much lower so we rolled the dice. Our analysts believed the Dwarves wouldn't be terribly interested in Bargen and the Dark Elves couldn't draft him at all. Ball handling seems secure and we pick up the standout TG getting some very valuable Block and Guard.

We felt we had a top shelf result and it seems that you gentlemen do too.

Post   Posted: Jun 20, 2014 - 03:24 Reply with quote Back to top

now to see how long they last in the AFCEast.

[cracking knuckles]

Post   Posted: Jun 20, 2014 - 04:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Ha ha ha.

Post   Posted: Jun 20, 2014 - 04:17 Reply with quote Back to top

You laugh, but it's not an easy division. You are the strongest team in pure ST terms, but everybody has stuff you don't.

Post   Posted: Jun 20, 2014 - 04:52 Reply with quote Back to top

I am not laughing at the strength of the division mate. Chuckling at the [cracking knuckles]. Thought it was good.

Post   Posted: Jun 22, 2014 - 16:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Apojar wrote:
Any of those 4 would be an excellent support beast for the existing squad.

The issue is that the Goats actually need a player to support, and Rocky doesn't count. Hence, we drafted Manning.
 Jump to: