56 coaches online • Server time: 16:16
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Blood Bowl 2024 Edit...goto Post RNG speculationsgoto Post Inscription JBL Sais...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
CW

Post   Posted: Dec 11, 2014 - 05:39 Reply with quote Back to top

I keep getting the following message when trying to play.

The connection to the server has been closed.
To re-connect you need to restart the client.

This has happened in 2 or 3 games over the last few days. Once it starts happening it continues many, many times. During that same time period I have also played several games with no issues at all.

Any ideas?
Wreckage

Post   Posted: Dec 11, 2014 - 11:57 Reply with quote Back to top

CW wrote:
I keep getting the following message when trying to play.

The connection to the server has been closed.
To re-connect you need to restart the client.

This has happened in 2 or 3 games over the last few days. Once it starts happening it continues many, many times. During that same time period I have also played several games with no issues at all.

Any ideas?

It sounds like your ping is too slow to handle for the client...
does this occur in peek times of internet usage in your place?

Try to check other online programs to verify it's the ping... for instance you could run IRC or another instant messager and see if you get disconnects for short periods...

there is a reference time.. if the client recieves no ping for so and so much seconds it will disconnect... that time might vary from program to program... but your internet connection status might also be an indication...

there is only so and so much you can do about a bad ping...

mostly it comes down to changing provider, but lets see..

1. if you use wifi, use a cable instead, that will make your connection more stable and drastically improve your ping...

2. Don't use sattelite connections for ping based communication, it's too slow..

3. There is probably a safety protocol your provider uses to make sure the correct data packages get send when data is getting corrupted. Most providers offer these days to turn it off. Data sending will be less reliable but gaming and communcation will be more fluent...

4. A bad router, a bad modem, bad hardware, firmware or software, firewalls that are blocking or rereading or rechannel traffic can all be contributing factors.. make at least sure router and modem are properly updated... you'd be surprised how many issues get fixed just by updating the routers firmware... just be careful with that stuff and make very sure its the right firmware...

5. Do less ping intense stuff on your computer at the same time.

6. Tell your kids and wife to do less ping intense stuff at the same time.

7. Talk to your provider, but if they tell you to take a different contract BE AWARE: A higher bandwith does not give you a better ping.

8. This has good chances of fixing your issues unless they are caused by your own system:
Change your provider.

9. Make sure you have no malware on your system, if you do, ideally set up the computer completely new.
Any adware, trojans etc. that communicate with the outside can slow your ping.

10. move somewhere else (but not to Australia (not enough oversea cables) or China(too much proxy channeling), or anywhere remote)

you don't have to follow those steps by 1 to 10.. start where your preference is...
CW

Post   Posted: Dec 12, 2014 - 02:59 Reply with quote Back to top

I have played blood bowl on this same computer for a long time. The only thing that might make sense to me is the malware problem. I will check into that. Otherwise, there shouldn't be anything new about my setup.
CW

Post   Posted: Dec 12, 2014 - 03:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Another piece of info that might help troubleshoot the problem is this. I had a game where this was happening repeatedly. So, we decided to put it on hold for a night. The next night I spectated for awhile and was staying connected. So, I tried another game, and it went great. When that game was over the other opponent found me and said he saw I was playing with no problems, so we decided to finish our match. As soon as I entered that game the issue started again.
Wreckage

Post   Posted: Dec 12, 2014 - 18:41 Reply with quote Back to top

CW, I don't know what else to tell you.. I don't want to say something wrong but since noone else seems to be responding to these...

The FFB operates via a central server (unlike skyjunkies javabowl). What the other guy does or has shouldn't affect you. Other than significantly slowing your game down.

Also I dunno why you insist you didn't change something in your system when I made pretty clear that the most likely cause isn't your system but your environment. It can be impacted by things like a new neigbor moving in, or some old neighbor discovering a new tool. It can also be very well the new client version, but that's not going to help you when the underlining problem is the connection.

What's essentially happening is that the client used to shut down when it lost connection. Now it doesn't shut down and tells you instead that it isn't operable anymore. That's an improvement in terms of figuring out what is going on, it's not something new or unusual tho.

It's not inconcievable that you are right and that indeed maybe some specific opponent type could cause you problems, but that's more because I don't know how the communication exactly happens. I have heard of games that exchange data p2p and with a server at the same time... but it seems rather far fetched to me that this could be the case here...

Also when your argument is that you never update your systems and therefore they must work because they always did, you should keep in mind that everything outside your computer gets updated (like the client for instance and the java version it was made on).
 Jump to: