34 coaches online • Server time: 17:17
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Blood Bowl 2024 Edit...goto Post DIBBL Awardsgoto Post SWL Season CI
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Falkmund

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2016 - 00:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Well I say newbie, I played blood bowl years ago at a friends house during high school, but that wasn't really anything serious.

But now I want to get back into the game, but I honestly don't know where to start. So it would be really cool if someone could provide some tips for newbie friendly races?

I like the idea of elves and the passing game, but they just seem a bit hard in my opinion...
Endzone

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2016 - 00:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Welcome to Fumbbl!
Jamerson

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2016 - 00:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Welcome - I would suggest Human or Dark Elf. They seem to generally do well at low TV for new players. I started with Orcs and Dwarfs but tended to lose more than I won!

I am a fixer. And my services are valued.

Falkmund

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2016 - 00:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Jamerson wrote:
Welcome - I would suggest Human or Dark Elf. They seem to generally do well at low TV for new players. I started with Orcs and Dwarfs but tended to lose more than I won!

Speaking of low tv. As a new player, do I just jump into ranked or is there any keagues where I should get my feet wet first?
Jamerson

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2016 - 00:15 Reply with quote Back to top

145 club is a good place to play for rookies. https://fumbbl.com/p/group&group=2922&op=view This is for league teams.

You can also create teams for ranked and play opponents via gamefinder - but they range in ability and experience there.

I am a fixer. And my services are valued.

JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2016 - 00:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Jamerson wrote:
145 club is a good place to play for rookies. https://fumbbl.com/p/group&group=2922&op=view This is for league teams.

You can also create teams for ranked and play opponents via gamefinder - but they range in ability and experience there.
I recommend making 3 teams. Make one for Ranked to go get your butt kicked while you learn. Make one League team for 145 Club, to learn against other newbies. And make one for open League play, and then hit up the Faculty of Academy Instructors for some training games.

I recommend starting with Humans or Orcs. Humans teach you everything, and Orcs are easy mode at low TV. But any race that has some upside and a little Block to start, that's fine, do what you like. Amazons, Dark Elves, Dwarfs, Undead, maybe Skaven or Wood Elves if you really wanna play speedy ball (that's a little harder for a new coach than the bash game, but if you're really feeling it, go with it).

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2016 - 00:29 Reply with quote Back to top

I found Elves difficult to start with because their options are so wide open. Bash teams like Orcs are easier because the gameplan is straight forward: cage up, bash your way down the pitch, score. And the AG3 helps you recover from mistakes. And the AV9 is forgiving. And they teach you positioning, which applies to every race.
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2016 - 00:33 Reply with quote Back to top

fidius wrote:
I found Elves difficult to start with because their options are so wide open. Bash teams like Orcs are easier because the gameplan is straight forward: cage up, bash your way down the pitch, score. And the AG3 helps you recover from mistakes. And the AV9 is forgiving. And they teach you positioning, which applies to every race.

And it is by this virtue that I proclaim Khemri the best. You can rarely be suckered into doing something stupid.
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2016 - 00:37 Reply with quote Back to top

mrt1212 wrote:
And it is by this virtue that I proclaim Khemri the best. You can rarely be suckered into doing something stupid.
You joined the NBFL too late. You missed some pretty suckerable Khemri teams.

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2016 - 00:42 Reply with quote Back to top

I would think that because humans have this reputation for 'doing anything' they are actually a bad choice to start with, because the truth is that while they can 'do anything' (so can any team though) they don't really do anything particularly well.

The reality is that some teams are more forgiving than others for various aspects of the game, and Humans are NOT one of them.

Orcs are pretty good because they are more mobile than dwarfs and give you the advantage of AV9 and some ST4 road blocks. Just stay away from the troll and gobblins to start.

Dark Elfs are also pretty good because they give a good mix of speed to recover position and AV8 makes them stand up a bit better. They also don't have a thrower or catcher to make you try silly passing plays before you have figured out the rest of the game.

Undead are also a very solid choice, though a bit trickier to deal with the slow zombies/skeletons, but Mummies give you a big edge on some teams, and ghouls give you enough speed/A access to let you play a little bit of elf ball at times.

Necro is interesting as well, but DE give you the frenzy option with a witch, which is something I think is important to learn early on.
garyt1

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2016 - 01:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Falkmund wrote:
I like the idea of elves and the passing game, but they just seem a bit hard in my opinion...

Be wary that in general passing isn't a good tactic because of the rolls needed rather than just running the ball carrier forward with protection. That said a quick pass or ideally a handoff to a player further forward can get you to cover a big distance with Elves. Just don't be surprised if sometimes a 1 comes up.

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2016 - 01:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Plenty of good advice in the above posts, but I think you will enjoy Dark Elves to start with. I did too! Wink
ahalfling

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2016 - 03:29 Reply with quote Back to top

garyt1 wrote:
Just don't be surprised if sometimes a 1 comes up.

Less "don't be surprised" and more "have a plan." You have to work out in advance what the game situation looks like in the event of a fumble, a dropped catch, or (if you're throwing far enough) an inaccurate pass. (That's doubly true if you don't have Pass on your passer, Catch on your catcher, or a reroll.) Sure, passing can be risky -- but it's a lot less risky if you've positioned your guys so that the opponent will struggle to retrieve a dropped pass.

Quote:
(on orcs) Just stay away from the troll and goblins to start.

If you're new, learning to manage negatraits is important. And it's not that difficult -- keep a guy next to the troll for the RS roll, don't hit with him until last, etc.

I'd never take an orc lineman over a goblin, personally -- the lineman costs more and can do fewer things. The goblin gives you mobility and dodging that you wouldn't otherwise have, and the lineman doesn't do anything that your other players don't do much better. The goblin is more fragile, but does that matter on a team that can always afford to replace injuries?

(Hell, I ran a forward passing orc team back in the '90s. You probably shouldn't listen to me. Ever.)
Arktoris

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2016 - 03:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Orcs tend to be great for newer coaches

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2016 - 04:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Undead's got a good mix of speed and strength. And the slow agility 2 players will teach you about positioning.
 Jump to: