26 coaches online • Server time: 08:09
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Borg Invasiongoto Post Finishing the 60 Gam...goto Post GIF Guide
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Joseph_Kurtz

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2006 - 22:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Greetings!

I rescently viewed a match where a Vampire player scored even though he had missed his OFAB-roll. The Vamp player claimed that it was fully legal, and wrotten down as such in differences from the board game.

Yes, I know this issue has been discussed before, but I was curious about the issue, and couldn't remind myself that it had been clear cut in either way. So I checked the last .txt file, thinking that perhaps there had been an addition since v8.6.

However, there is still only the rather generic:

(9) LRB (2.0 - p16) states that players only score a touch down
when they end their action in the end zone. In the game you
score as soon as you enter the endzone (standing) with the ball.

So I browsed around here on Fumbbl, searching through rules, and the forum. And yes, I have been using the search function. Still, I cannot find any clear answer, but rather just some severe discussions regarding the topic.

So I just wonder if someone knows where this might be written, and give me a pointer. Oh, also in one of the discussions threre was a referral to a post by Christer concerning the issue. However, there wasn't a link provided, so I couldn't find it unfortunately.

By the way. What is the general consensus? No matter whether it is legal or not in the client, is it generally considered to be 100% OK, is it considered to be valid, but bad form, or is it generally looked upon as pretty close to cheating?

Anyway, thx for any help guys.
Fama

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2006 - 23:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Hmm. I'd go for "valid, but bad form". I dunno, it doesn't exactly make vampires unbalanced now does it? And don't forget that you can't use hypnotic gaze after OFAB failed OR after 2 GFI, so it kinda evens out. I guess.

I'm not sure about the official stance tho.

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2006 - 23:15 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't like getting scored on like that, but I'm the first to admit I'd do it to someone else. Smile Just playing the Devil's (or Vampire's) Advocate for a second...

Doesn't the Vamp have to end his action next to a thrall or he goes off the ground? Given that the turn ends when he scores, and that players go off the ground after the drive (i.e. after the score), can't he just sort of be saying "Ok, fair enough, I'll go off the ground after this turn." I mean, it is a choice to suck on a thrall right? Just curiously, what would happen if there was a thrall next to the Vampy when he scored? I wouldn't think he'd suck on him anyway. I dunno, maybe I'm rambling and am just tired, or maybe I just always go for the bad gys in movies or something, but I sort of like the arrogant, don't give a crap way Vampy's score on OFAB.

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2006 - 23:19 Reply with quote Back to top

In JBB:

The vamp scores a TD if it fails OFAB and runs to the endzone.

The vamp still scores a TD and does not bite a thrall if there's one next to him in the endzone.

According to LRB, the vamp would not score a TD in option 1, but would in option 2 after it had bitten the thrall. But as said before, differencesfromboardgame.txt kinda says this is a known bug - so it's not illegal to score when OFAB fails and no thralls around. Of course it's good manners to not score if there's not a thrall around.

Still not sure about the official ruling tho.

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2006 - 00:28 Reply with quote Back to top

I remember clearly the thread and Christer officially said it was legal. But since I am unable to find anything with search function (I couldn't dig out the 1000 posts foul thread), I won't try for OFAB.

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2006 - 00:43 Reply with quote Back to top

It's under "differences from the board game", is it not?

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2006 - 00:57 Reply with quote Back to top

I wouldn't score that way, and if you did it I would call you a cheat.

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2006 - 01:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, I cannot find anyting more than the paragraph stating that if you stand up in the end zone, carrying the ball, you score. See my first post, or check the .txt-file Differences from boardgame. However, I couldn't find anything specifically concerning OFAB, neithe in the .txt-file, nor here on the board rules, nor when I searched on the forums.

All I found were several threads discussing the issue - all of them quite similar to this discussion in fact... Anyway, I was simply trying to find out if there actually was something written specifically concerning OFAB and touchdown, or if it is the current wording in the .txt-file that makes it technically valid from a rules lawyers perspective. It was due to the fact that I couldn't find anything more regarding the issue that I also wished to hear peoples' views upon it.
grandw

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2006 - 01:16 Reply with quote Back to top

It works, so why shouldn´t i do it? In fact its not happening very often and vamps are not the team that´s "out of balance" like they were much stronger than other teams.
OldBugman

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2006 - 01:23 Reply with quote Back to top

http://www.howtobuildabridge.com/
Tricktickler

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2006 - 02:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Dont know why you are asking this when you obviously have found the paragraph yourself. I think it pretty clearly says its allowed to score with a missed OFAB roll.

Its not bad manner either to do this since you are just following the rules.
If anyone think its poor Im gonna laugh when doing it myself against him.
momfreeek

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2006 - 02:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Not being able to use hypnotic gaze while OFAB is a serious disadvantage. Being able to score while OFAB can be a big advantage. I really don't see any reason to complain, thats just the way it is with the client. Like the fact that you can't sidestep chainpushes or multiple blocks and shadowing doesn't work if your opponent moves too fast (now that does annoy me sometimes).

I've played about 30 games with vamps and I've never needed to do it. Once, I avoided a thrall being bitten because of it but thats all. In my experience the disadvantages outweigh this advantage. (Being able to hypno gaze while OFAB would be very useful)
OldBugman

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2006 - 03:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Also talking about one of the weakest teams in the LRB.
Joseph_Kurtz

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2006 - 09:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, I wasn't trying to dirt-talk Vampire players in general, nor was I trying to moan over some unfairness. Since I couldn't figure it out for myself, I was merely asking for help, trying to find out if there was something "specifically" written for this issue, thus making it crystal clear. Even though the current writing regarding TDs in general sort of grazes this issue, I have so far not been able to find anything directly aimed at OFAB, thus my initial post on this very board.

Yes, I know that some of you might want to simply point to the DifferencesFromBoardGameFAQ.txt file, but again; there really isn't anything in the file that "specifically" regards OFAB and TD. There is only a paragraph regarding TD in general stating the following:

(9) LRB (2.0 - p16) states that players only score a touch down
when they end their action in the end zone. In the game you
score as soon as you enter the endzone (standing) with the ball.

As you can see for yourself, both from the several discussions before, and already from this short discussion - the interpretations of how it "should" be played varies. Thus I believe that my simple curiosity of the matter is quite valid, and does't merely stem from an inability to read the FAQ.
So, since no one can provide me with a clear cut answer, or a referral to an actual rule, or guiding, am I to believe that there, in fact, is no such rule?

And yes, I know that the Vampires are a somewhat weak tem, and yes I know that there are several other differences from the board game - most of which happen to be included in the .txt-file incidentally. However, the question at matter isn't about any of them, but about OFAB and TD. By the way, I thank you for your opinions on the matter, it was interesting so see that there still seems to be quite differing views upon the issue, that much should be quite clear at least.
vanGorn

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2006 - 13:05 Reply with quote Back to top

My vampire teams never score on bloodlust when they don't end their move in the endzone next to a thrall team mate. It's good style to follow the LRB even when the client does not enforce it.

Jump to: