52 coaches online • Server time: 18:10
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Blood Bowl 2024 Edit...goto Post RNG speculationsgoto Post Inscription JBL Sais...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
hunter

Post 20 Posted: Jul 23, 2005 - 04:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Stunty Playtest Report

Herein lay the results and report of the first round of playtesting for 9 submitted conceptual Stunty Leeg races.

Let me first state that this league, like most leagues, did not run as flawlessly as planned. Razz That is, a few coaches were essentially absent throughout, which made it difficult to accumulate data from some races.

However, a couple of coaches deserve extra acknowledgement for going beyond the call of duty and playing multiple games with multiple races. These coaches are Thierry and VinnieSpleenmasher.

I will present the races in alphabetical order, indicating number of matches played, the races played against, and the thoughts of the playtesters as reported to me.

I will conclude with my thoughts and recommendations for each of the teams, a preliminary ranking of recommended inclusion, and the future direction of the playtesting league.

----------------------------------------------
Adepts of the Horned Rat

0-12 Assassin Adept: 6 2 3 6 Dodge, Stunty 40K A
0-2 Culler: 6 2 3 6 Dodge, Stunty, Shadowing 60K A
0-1 Night Lord's Apprentice: 8 2 4 7 Dodge, Pro 90K G, A
0-4 Night Runner: 7 2 3 7 Dodge, Poison Dagger 70K A

Games played: 3
Races played against: Gnome, Goblin, Jockeys
Playtester input:
• Adepts are nice to play with if you like fast & agile teams.
• Night runners need to be str 1 no doubt about it. The Night Lord was awesome, and I'm not sure whether or not to change him because I haven't played against a big guy yet. The cullers are perfect as are the adepts.
• They seem too strong against only str 2 teams. Nightrunners should be dropped to str 1 so that they are more vulnerable. An ag 4 ball handler with dodge and ma 8 + 4 daggers mean they hardly need any rerolls and will usually also quickly decimate your own team. They do seem pretty strong to me and I think they would become a monster team with some experience. MB might kill them though. fun: very little, just faster halflings with lots of poisoned daggers and an uber-positional. pretty boring roster I think. needs some flavor desperately.
• I think they were pretty unlucky and I think it would have been way more balanced if the daggers had broken armor when it mattered and when the secret weapons hadn't been ejected. They seem a lot like wood elves to me... impossible to stop from scoring and amazing ball handling and speed but when they start falling apart it really hurts. I think (my opinion changed since last time) that Adepts are pretty ok balance wise. But they are too much dependant on their one ag 4 ma 8 guy, maybe splitting him up into two not so good positions might help a bit.
• I'll have to try some other games & races to see which are the most interesting teams but 'til now I found the Adepts as the easiest and most effective race to play with.
Chimaera

0-12 Diminutive: 5 2 3 7 Stunty, Bonehead, Two Heads, Prehensile Tail, Leap, Right Stuff A, Ph 50K
0-4 Rhinodion: 5 2 3 7 Stunty, Bonehead, Two Heads, Prehensile Tail, Leap, Right Stuff, Foul Appearance A, Ph 60K
0-2 Ferocity: 5 2 2 ( 8 ) Stunty, Really Stupid, Two Heads, Prehensile Tail, Leap, Right Stuff, Spikes, Horns, Mace Tail (Mighty Blow) G, Ph 90K
0-2 Behema: 6 4 2 8 Wild Animal, Frenzy, Two Heads, Prehensile Tail, Leap, Throw Teammate, Always Hungry S, Ph 120K

Races played against: Kobolds, Nurglings, Treemen
Playtester input:
• With only 2 rerolls to start with and negatraits on everyone, there were missing tackle zones nearly every turn. By the middle to end of the 2nd half, all Chimaera were cleared from the pitch, either injured or knocked out. My opponent noted that the Ferocities may be too tough given that they start with Mighty Blow and have General access. Given the casualty results, I would tend to disagree, but one must note that the opponent was Nurglings. Also, I found the players a little confusing, since they all have a bunch of skills. It might work well to somehow combine the Behemae and Ferocities into one character to help in this regard.
• I found this team to be unreliable and easy to remove from the pitch, although Nurglings are good at this anyway. I think perhaps that the loss of prehensile tail and dodge is too much. Perhaps if you dropped the str 4 and gave extra str 2 (which should lose Mighty blow) and lost bonehead on the basic lineman. Also I'm not sure why they have two heads? dodging on a 2+ with stunty is a bit much, alhtough the lack of dodge will help. I know snotlings have two heads but they also have str1 and av5.
• Only 5 players were left on the pitch by turn 3 of the 2nd half, 4 by turn 4, and 3 by turn 5. The lack of dodge greatly contributes to this problem, and perhaps should be reconsidered, particularly in light of the fact that almost every player has a chance to lose its tackle zone each turn.
• Chimaera relied on TTM ability to even up the score at 1-1 in turn 7 of the 1st half. Both teams are relatively light-hitting, with no Big Guys and Kobolds with no one more than ST2. As such, only a couple of casualties were made. Overall a fun match, but my impression of Kobolds is that they are too one-dimensional, and that Chimaera are probably slightly overcomplicated. Kobolds need somewhat more variety, and Chimaera somewhat less.
Forest Goblins

0-12 Forest Goblins 6/2/3/7 Dodge, Stunty 40k (A)
0-2 Forest Goblin Thrower 6/2/3/5 Pass 60k (A,P)
0-4 Forest Goblin Catcher 8/1/3/5 Dodge, NOS, Stunty 50k (A)
0-2 Spider Rider 6/4/2/8 Big Guy, Bonehead, Two Heads, Shadowing 120k (G,A)

Games played: 2
Races played against: Halfling Professionals, Kobolds
Playtester input:
• First testing game proved to be balanced vs Pro'flings but to my opinion I found that the following points would need to be taken into consideration: Concerning the Forest Gobs, I'm just a bit confused that the catcher has str1, I would have preferred same str but less movement. Movement of the spider is also too high, I would have preferred mvt5, having stunty & MB. Thrower's and catcher's prices are also high compared to liners considering not having stunty nor dodge for the passer & av5. They'll make perfect targets, easy to hurt. But the overall idea is rather nice.
• Spider riders good with shadowing, bone head kept them from being too powerfull; gobbos standard gobbos so ok; thrower needs sure hands desperately, poss dodge but SH 100%; catcher, not any use for them, too weak and mv5. I'd prefer a netter, like a gobbo but with shadowing to tie up opp players. Poss 2 clubbers in a side with mighty blow or something.
Gnoblar

**note the team is allowed two big guys TOTAL you just get to pick from a variety of different ones, like flings**
0-16 Gnoblar 6 1 3 7 Stunty, dodge, right stuff 30k (A)
0-4 Trappers 5 2 3 7 Stunty, dodge, tentacles, right stuff 60k (A)
0-2 Ogre Maneater 5 5 2 9 Big Guy, Mighty Blow, Bone Head, TTM, Thick Skull 120k (G,S)
0-2 Ogre Gorger 6 5 1 8 Big Guy, Mighty Blow, Wild Animal, Frenzy, TTM, Always Hungry, Thick Skull 130k (G,S)
0-2 Ogre Iron Gut 4 5 2 10 Big Guy, Mighty Blow, Bonehead, Stand Firm, TTM, Thick Skull 130k (G,S)

Races played against: Jockeys, Kobolds, Skink
Playtester input:
• I'm not used to play with a mix of st1, st2 and 2 different type of Ogres and therefore made some mistakes while playing. First time I play them and they are too far away from my playing style to have fun with them (or I'm too stupid to expect a bit of respect from Bone Head or Wild Animal players).
• Tentacles were really cool to play with.
• STR 1 was not really a disadvantage as most of the play was Trappers and ogres, Gnobs helped in cage tactics and making the tea. All in all I'd rate them 6/10 MFT (Mildly Frustrating Trappers).
• In the gnoblar games I have played, the opposition have been speed teams without BGs so no surprise they win the bash battles and then the war.
Halfling Professionals

0-2 True Pros 5 2 3 8 Dodge, Stunty (GA) 70k
0-2 Stoutboys 5 3 2 8 Block, Stunty (AS) 70k
0-2 Tallfellows 6 2 3 7 Dodge, Stunty, Sure Hands (AP) 60k
0-2 Hairfeet 6 2 3 7 Dodge, Stunty, Sure Feet (A) 60k
0-1 Kicker 5 2 3 7 Dodge, Kick, Stunty (A) 50k
0-12 Lineman 5 2 3 7 Dodge, Stunty (A) 30k

Games played: 2
Races played against: Forest Goblins, Goblins
Playtester input:
• No TTM and moderate mvt doesn't help the Pro'flings. Having a st3 blocker Pro'fling is amazing for starting teams, as long as you don't play BG but after several games they'll stand no chance compared to the other Big Guy or Mecha. This race should get a BG or two, funny one.
• This team seems too strong to me, at least at this low TR. The team as a whole is extremely reliable. With all of their skills, they really only used their RR on failed blocks. Their armor is also quite good - I didn't cause a single cas during the game. The free chef seems to be a bit of overkill, too. These guys hardly needed the extra RR, but stealing RR from a newbie stunty team is powerful. Pros also seem to be undercosted. The starting roster has every positional, an apo, and an apothecary. No hard decisions have to be made when creating a team - you can just buy everything that you need.
Jockeys

0-2 Deformed Bull Centaurs 130000 6 4 2 9 Big Guy, Sure Feet, Thick Skull, Horns, Frenzy, No Hands G S
0-2 Orkaine Addicts 60000 5 2 3 7 Poisoned Dagger, Dodge, Jump Up, Thick Skull, No Hands A
0-1 Farrier 50000 4 2 3 6 Stunty, Kick A
0-12 Jockeys 30000 4 2 3 7 Side Step, Stunty A

Games played: 6+
Races played against: Adepts of the Horned Rat, Chaos Halfling, Gnoblar, Kobold, Protoelves, Treemen, and others not formally reported
Playtester input:
• Well, these jockeys are suffering from not having dodge and also too many players without hands. You just have to bash them a little bit, which is quite easy not having dodge and the game is done. As long as the deformed bulls haven't got block, they'll remain a threat to their own team.
• Maybe give dodge to jockeys, it will help them staying on the pitch.
• Jockeys are slow and fragile. Even with luck on his side, [opponent] was barely able to eek out a tie. Jockeys need something more - dodge or extra movement. There strengths are their big guys and their poison daggers, who are quite good - but not enough to make up for the horrible linos.
• This game proved to be far too unbalanced, Jockeys are too weak, they desperately need dodge skill.
Kobolds

0-12 Kobold Linemen 40,000 5 2 3 7 Dodge, Sure Hands, Stunty - A
0-6 Kobold Runners 60,000 9 1 3 6 Dodge, Sure Hands, Stunty - A

Games played: 6
Races played against: Chimaera, Forest Goblins, Gnoblar, Jockeys, Treemen
Playtester input:
• Kobolds average is far too weak (6 ko during a drive), they ended the match with 5 players and they had been lucky not to get higher cas. They need more skills and a bit of more different kind of players.
• I don't like Kobolds for the following reasons: Only two types of players (not enough). Two different strength (always confusing). Too big difference on movement between the two types of players (5 to 9 doesn't allow to protect your runners when you try to outrun your opponent). In fact you can't deal with bashing teams as you have no big guy or any kind of 2+str player, and you'll probably have problems to outrun fast teams as you cannot protect effectively your runners. I don't understand why they all have sure hands, a combo like sure hand for kobolds and catch for runners would have been more interesting. It would have been nice to give them a couple of st4 players, increase kobold movement to 6 or 7, reduce runner's to 8 and increase their st to 2. They're just missing the fun part of stunty teams, unpredictable and powerful players, and diversity of players.
• Dodge skill, runner's high movement but mainly casualties granted the game to the kobolds. I'm surprised that they inflicted so many cas vs an armor 8 team, if they could prove to be so lethal each match then they'll be a threat to any stunty team but I'm still convinced that access to 2 specific BG would be a relief vs multi BG teams.
• Both teams are relatively light-hitting, with no Big Guys and Kobolds with no one more than ST2. As such, only a couple of casualties were made. Overall a fun match, but my impression of Kobolds is that they are too one-dimensional, and that Chimaera are probably slightly overcomplicated. Kobolds need somewhat more variety, and Chimaera somewhat less.
• How can they deal with the usual stunty teams and their Big Guys? They'll probably need a specific player to counter them but at the time being none are available. Having access to a unique Terrific Big Guy as Strigoyans would probably help and add some fun. Some kind of strigoyan Lord and Nurgling Beast mixture would be nice. Giving all of them sure hands seems also inadequate. Mvt 9 for runners is also too excessive.
• Kobold players too cheap with sure hands; kobold runners far too fast and cheap, reduce to mv8 at best, too powerful with sure hands.
Protoelves

0-16 Primitivus 7 1 3 (6) Dodge, Stunty, Spikes (A, Ph) 40K
0-2 Peslongus 5 2 3 (6) Stunty, Sure Feet, Stand Firm, Spikes (G, Ph) 50K
0-2 Venator 5 2 3 (6) Dodge, Stunty, Hail Mary Pass, Sure Hands, Strong Arm, Spikes (P, A, Ph) 60K
0-4 Avisrapere 6 1 4 (6) Stunty, Diving Catch, Extra Arms, Spikes (A, Ph) 60K
0-2 Ferus 6 3 3 7 Foul Appearance, Thick Skull, Strip Ball, No Hands (G, Ph) 70K

Races played against: Chaos Halfling, Jockeys, Squig Herders
Playtester input:
• The Venators had Accurate instead of Hail Mary Pass when this game was played, which was useful in one of the scores.
• First game played with the protoelves, not that bad in fact…
Treemen

0-1 Treeman 2 6 1 10 110,000 Big Guy, Take Root, Stand Firm, Throw Team Mate, Thick Skull, Mighty Blow G,S
0-2 Bushmaster 5 3 3 8 100,000 Big Hand, Sure Feet, Stand Firm, Throw Team Mate G
0-2 Creeping Vine 4 2 3 7 50,000 Take Root, Stand Firm, Stunty, Right Stuff, Tentacles, Prehensile Tail A
0-2 Fly Trap 4 2 1 8 50,000 Take Root, Stand Firm, Stunty, Right Stuff, Frenzy, Razor Sharp Claws A,S
0-12 Sapling 4 2 2 8 40,000 Take Root, Stand Firm, Stunty, Right Stuff, Extra Arms A

Games played: 5
Races played against: Chimaera, Gnome, Jockeys, Kobold
Playtester input:
• Amazing Treemen with their Stand Firm skill, game was already won mid first half due to cas caused although the treemen tended to root much more during second half than first half… Using the TTM skill to uproot players is one of the favorite trick I like to use but I don't know if it is an acceptable ploy. Until now, I found the Treemen a really tough team causing lot of cas & difficult to outflank…
• Treemen are really bashy & need lots of rr & luck in order to avoid being rooted.
• The treemen didn't perform anything interesting that game, attempts to uproot the players with TTM skill didn't work as well as expected.
• They cannot dodge very well, they don't hurt you well, you can just position your players next to them, get the tree to the ground and wait till they take root. then you score.
• The fact that every player has a negatrait and will probably be unrooted by a TTM with a probably 60 % chance while also possibly injuring himself in the process makes the whole team to weak IMO. Their strongest players (the treeman and the str 3 bushguys) will usually have to perform actions relevant to winning the match and cannot affort TTM every turn, so the whole team usually only has 7-8 players they can use. Even when TTMing it still takes up a very good players action.
on the fun side, I think treemen are a team that is immensely interesting to play against, very unusual mechanisms and threads and a whole new feeling, very cool basically. I'd love to see this team in stunty leeg. But I think they need a boost, but not too desperately (because they hardly ever have casualties).
• The Treemen Stand Firm trait helped to keep TZs on some players and allowed for some dodge attempts. I still think this team might have some problems vs the "standard" stunty teams. The Negatrait take root and no dodge and AG 2 on most players makes it a weak team. The TTM can be used (only) for uprooting, not really for a successful throw, since the thrown players have Ag 2 only. The opponents strategy must be to take out the Bushmasters, the only mobile players. Once the players gain dodge (1st skill) though, the team will be much stronger. It is fun to play the team.
• My first thought was: Give the team an apoth. On the other side, it clearly needs every reroll it can get.
• Treemen are fine too, I really love them, personally I would have tried to score with bushmaster's TTM skill but it's still a gamble. You'll never find so threatening and funny team as these treemen capable of scoring in one turn (well, you'll have to be really lucky then) and uprooting their players with their bushmasters. And don't even think about crowding them, you'll probably be done by their stand firm skill and pushed to the crowd the successive turn thanks to their frenzied RSC fly traps. Creeping vines are also nice in preventing opponents to find their path with their tentacles and will make a nice combo with the fly traps.
Thoughts and Recommendations

Adepts of the Horned Rat: Generally positive feelings about the Adepts were reported, but there were some suggestions of change. The creator may like to look the comments over, and possibly make changes. Further playtesting should ensue.

Chimaera: Chimaera need a few changes and further playtesting, perhaps with Dodge on the base players, and with removal of Behemae and Ferocities by somehow combining them into one player. This would reduce confusion between players and help balance the increase in power provided by Dodge.

Forest Goblins: Only a couple of games played at this point, but a number of suggestions made by the playtesters. Difficult to make decisions at this point, as more playtesting is required, but the race creator might want to take a look at the comments thus far.

Gnoblar: The Gnoblar roster is one of the strongest of the nine conceptual teams, given the presence of a pair of Big Guys. At this point it seems as though this race might compete well with extant rosters, but more playtesting is warranted.

Halfling Professionals: Not really much to conclude at this point, as only a couple of games were played. It is likely that this team will prove powerful to begin with, but won’t be able to stand up to teams with Big Guys after a few games of experience. One playtester suggested a Big Guy, but that might make the team even stronger at the outset. Another possibility would be cheap but useful star players. In any case, the team requires additional playtesting.

Jockeys: There is sufficient evidence to support the assertion that the Jockeys need a bit of work. Changes could probably include addition of Dodge to normal players, and removal of No Hands from the Orkaine Addicts. It is recommended that the Jockeys roster undergo changes before resubmission to the Playtesting league.

Kobolds: Quite a variety of opinions regarding Kobolds, ranging from too weak to too powerful. A more consistent theme was that of lack of depth, in that there are only a couple of player types and playtesters would like to see more. There is also no way to deal with Big Guy teams, which may or may not be an issue that the creator would like to address. Recommendation at this point is to perhaps add another positional to add depth and decrease predictability, then continue playtesting.

Protoelves: In their current form, Protoelves have not undergone sufficient playtesting for valid viability opinions to have formed. No changes are recommended at this point, but further playtesting is certainly warranted.

Treemen: Treemen received a good mix of comments, generally positive. A couple of playtesters recommended tweaking a little to make them stronger, but another noted that earning dodge on a number of players will increase the team’s strength considerably. Recommendation at this time is to examine roster for a possible slight tweak or two, but otherwise continue playtesting and see if further tweaks are necessary.
Preliminary Ranking
Based on the limited playtesting data so far, I would rank the proposed teams as follows, beginning with most recommendable for inclusion in the Stunty Leeg at this point:
1) Treemen
2) Gnoblar
3) Adepts of the Horned Rat
4) Forest Goblins/Halfling Professionals/Protoelves
5) Chimaera
6) Kobolds
7) Jockeys
Future Direction of the Stunty Playtesters
As some may have noticed, this report is long overdue. The tardiness is in direct relationship to real life issues, mainly regarding my graduate research, studies, and teaching. I will not be able to participate in another round of playtesting, but I will gladly organize and oversee one. I will post in the Stunty Leeg forum in the near future regarding the next round of playtesting, so stay tuned!

Constructive criticism and feedback greatly desired and appreciated.
Regards,
~hunter

Last edited by hunter on %b %06, %2005 - %02:%Aug; edited 2 times in total
hunter

Post   Posted: Jul 24, 2005 - 17:16 Reply with quote Back to top

*bump*

Anyone with zee comment? Razz

~hunter

Post   Posted: Jul 24, 2005 - 18:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Maybe you could organise and run a KO tournament with these teams where the teams actually gain spp. Besides, I played with LtMonkey, me with jockeys and he with the rats, and I literally crushed him. Like, bashed all over, although he's a better coach than I am.
SubSonic

Post   Posted: Jul 24, 2005 - 20:51 Reply with quote Back to top

It would help a bit if you would show what kind of players which team has before the race review.
Wallace

Post   Posted: Jul 28, 2005 - 02:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Can someone please post the rosters for these teams so we can actually discuss them, or do some playtesting of our own? I know these have all been discussed before, but with much discussion of how the rosters should look, so most of us will have no idea what the rosters were actually used in the results above. Maybe that would help generate the discussion your after!

Edit: Okay so I should have checked this first, but the teams can be found by clicking the first link in hunter's sig!
Pau

Post   Posted: Jul 28, 2005 - 05:54 Reply with quote Back to top

just click on his sig, he has all the rosters there guys.
Pjotor

Post   Posted: Jul 28, 2005 - 14:38 Reply with quote Back to top

On Forest Goblins. Personally I'd prefer fluffier forest goblins.. the Spiders are spot on, but catchers and throwers? Well.. I dunno. What's good and fun though is that passing/catching forest goblins brings to mind passing/catching forest (wood) elves Razz
However, the current roster is broken.

1st: 6/2/3/7 Dodge Stunty should cost 30k

2nd: AV5 is too damn low! the 6/2/3/5, Pass thrower should cost MINUS 10k and is far too bad.
I suggest:
6/2/3/6, Dodge, Stunty, Strong Arm (A,P) for 40k if you _insist_ on the lower AV or even better 0-2 6/2/3/7, Dodge, Stunty, Strong Arm (A,P) for 60k for a simple, straight up gobbo thrower. It would be great.

3rd: Catcher: the 8/1/3/5 Dodge NOS Stunty catcher for 50k... too damn weak!! Razz and still the real cost is 60k!
no, make it a 7/2/3/6 Dodge Stunty + something player for 60k.. that's the straight up catcher, -1AV +1 MA! It's all so simple!
Giving it NOS instead of catch is a great twist, so my suggestion is 0-4 7/2/3/6 Dodge, Stunty, NOS (A) for 60k

Ok, so the spider riders, don't have anything concretely wrong about them (except that their cost should be 100k), but I see no reason why they shouldn't be just a 0-2 (or 0-4!) 6/4/2/8 Bonehead (G) for 70k

Sure, it could be tweaked some more, the Spider could use something fun and you could give a discount and make the catchers 50k instead.. but otherwise I think the above clearly would make for a nice new stunty team! Man.
hunter

Post   Posted: Jul 30, 2005 - 00:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the comments everyone, and sorry I haven't been about... we have had company visiting for a bit now, and they will be here over the weekend yet. I will edit the first post to include the rosters as soon as I can (probably Monday), and address specific comments and suggestions soon as well. Keep it coming!

Regards,
~hunter

Post   Posted: Jul 30, 2005 - 00:49 Reply with quote Back to top

i am very interested in forest goblin and kobold teams! would love to see them in stunty Smile

hunter

Post   Posted: Aug 02, 2005 - 00:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Fama wrote:
Maybe you could organise and run a KO tournament with these teams where the teams actually gain spp. Besides, I played with LtMonkey, me with jockeys and he with the rats, and I literally crushed him. Like, bashed all over, although he's a better coach than I am.

Given that not very many games have been played yet, and tweaks are already evident, I don't feel as though a progressive tournament is the best idea just now. However, I would love to run one in the future, once the base teams are more solidly defined.

Regarding your game with LtMonkey, do either one of you have specific suggestions or opinions about the races?

SubSonic wrote:
It would help a bit if you would show what kind of players which team has before the race review.

Done. You can see the complete test rosters by accessing the Stunty Compendium website.

Pjotor wrote:
1st: 6/2/3/7 Dodge Stunty should cost 30k

Even though these Goblins lack Right Stuff, they are arguably too powerful to cost only 30K.

Your other recommendations would be best addressed by the race's creator (origami), so I'd just like to add that I'm happy to see continued creative thinking about the teams! Smile

I'd love to hear any additional comments!
Regards,
~hunter