11 coaches online • Server time: 04:53
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Making Assassins mor...goto Post New Team Page Betagoto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
djtool

Post   Posted: Aug 04, 2005 - 05:48 Reply with quote Back to top

hiya folks...

did a search...no results.

I just got the game and my first team. in the rules it sez making a dodge roll gives you a +1 to roll. this is not stated in the dodge ability and the verbage states 'making a dodge roll' not 'using the dodge skill'.

what is the correct interpretation? it seems to me that if *everyone* gets a +1 you'd just adjust the agi table and leave that line out.

thx for help
SolomonKane

Post   Posted: Aug 04, 2005 - 06:15 Reply with quote Back to top

The reason you don't adjust the AG table is because there's other skills and actions that use the base agility table, other than dodging; things such as picking up the ball, passing, and intercepting. Most players just get into the habit of calculating their needed target rolls automatically; after playing a few matches it becomes second nature, really. Though every so often, with many tackle zones or guard players in a given situation, the numbers can be sometimes difficult to work out in your head. Also, I've found that a LOT of players tend to forget the effects that weather can sometimes have on their team, like the -1 modifier for passing in sunny weather.

So the 'correct' way to calculate your dodges, for example, is to roll your die then add and subtract mods as required, and only THEN compare it to the agility table. For example, take an AG 3 player dodging into a square with no opposing TZs on it. The target number is 4+, which corresponds to AG 3 on the agility table, right? So you roll your die, and end up with a 3. lucky for you, you get to add +1 to your die roll, bringing the total to 4, therefore you JUST managed to hit your target number. This is the 'correct' way to calculate your rolls, strictly according to the rules. Remember also with dodging, you count only those TZs affecting the square TO WHICH YOU ARE MOVING, and NOT the square you just LEFT.

Most players, I think, tend to start thinking in terms of how their modifiers affect the agility table rather than the number they actually roll on the die. This does occasionally confuse even some veteran coaches, when there's a lot of TZs or guard or whatever other modifiers apply to an action being performed in a crowd. Also, when you sink into this mentality, it's easy to forget other modifiers than may be in play, such as weather or other skills (say, Prehensile Tail when dodging).
smoked_g60

Post   Posted: Aug 04, 2005 - 06:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Tha agility table is universal so changing it would affect leap, hypnotic gaze, passing.
Everyone gets +1 to any dodge roll, just like everyone gets +1 to catch a ball that is accurately thrown to their square. Once the ball is bouncing around loose or scatter bringes it to you then the +1 modifier does no longer apply.
So, in short, most ag3 players catc a ball accurately thrown to them on a 3+, most ag3 players make dodges on a 3+ into 0 tackle zones regardless of whether they have dodge skill or not. The dodge skill only provides a reroll to the 3+
djtool

Post   Posted: Aug 04, 2005 - 06:23 Reply with quote Back to top

thx fellas/ettes. I failed to pick up on that. I appreciate your answers.
 Jump to: