11 coaches online • Server time: 05:10
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Making Assassins mor...goto Post New Team Page Betagoto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
morgan5050

Post 22 Posted: Aug 21, 2005 - 18:47 Reply with quote Back to top

OK, this may be in the wrong thread as it's an implementation question on the client as well as an LRB question. But it'll need a really sharp understanding of both to explain this to me in a way that I'll understand Wink

Right, here goes :

Whenever I played tabletop, I used MB (equivalently DP) like this :

1. I'd get an armor roll with MB by knocking an opposing player over
2. I'd choose whether to use MB on the armor roll
3. I'd make the armor roll, adding the bonus _if_ i'd decided to use it
4. If I beat the armor roll, then I'd make an injury roll. If I hadn't used the bonus, then I'd get the bonus now.

I made the decision _before_ I made the armor roll.

Now, when I use the client, it seems to choose when to use MB for me. Either it's making a decision automatically or I misunderstood the rules and was playing wrong before.

The fact that the client makes the decision automatically makes me suspect that the decision should be made _after_ rolling the dice for the armor roll and is therefore a no-brainer. If not, then the skill has been subtly weakened - as you're trusting the client's judgement on which use of the bonus is "better" in your current situation.

Might seem to be nit-picking, but as an example of where this wouldnt be so subtle - if you're making a DP foul with a ton of assists - it would be a complete waste for the client to apply the bonus to the armor roll.

Anyone want to tell me whether I've got the rules right, and more importantly, if the client does make the decision, how it is implemented?
Fama

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2005 - 18:51 Reply with quote Back to top

The client uses MB and DP on armor, ONLY if the armor is NOT broken otherwise. If it is broken, then the bonus goes to injury. You don't get to choose whether you use them or not in the client, but that's speed issues mostly.
morgan5050

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2005 - 18:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Right, so the client gets to make the decision _after_ it's seen the dice roll?

The way I played table top, you had to make the decision _before_ you rolled the dice (which is obviously weaker). Was that just wrong?
Fama

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2005 - 18:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Hmm. I'd have to see the LRB for that. You mean that you can decide to use MB for injury, when the armor doesn't break in table top?
Hammerhiem

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2005 - 18:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Fama has it right.

basically it looks to see if your roll breaks armour, if it doesn't then it adds the MB/DP to the armour roll and checks again to see if it breaks armour then.

If you broke the Armour without the MB/DP it adds it to the injury roll automaticly.

arghh bumflaps , another fumble. Why can't these Gobbo's just pick the ball up?
Fama

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2005 - 19:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Dirty Player (General Skill)
A player with this skill has trained long and hard to learn every dirty trick
in the book. If he fouls an opposing player then add +2 to the Armour or
the Injury rolls. Note that this skill can only be used if the player actually
makes a foul; it may not be used if he is assisting another player who is
making a foul. The Dirty Player skill may be used to modify an Amour or
Injury roll for a foul, not both.

and

Mighty Blow (Strength Skill)
Add +1 to any Armour or Injury rolls (not both) made by a player with this
skill. This may only be used to modify an Armour or Injury roll caused by
a block. Mighty Blow may not be used to modify an Armour or Injury roll
caused by a foul. This skill may not be used by players with a Strength of
2 or less. The strength score comes from the player’s position as it is
written on the team roster, so a Goblin (St 2) can never use this skill,
even if he gains St+1, and a Human Blitzer (St 3) can use the skill even if
he later loses a point of Strength.

I've never played BB table top, so I don't know for sure, but I'd guess, that you say "I block that guy with this guy using mighty blow", and if you don't break the armor, you add the bonus to armor roll, but if you do break it, you add the bonus to injury roll. Same with dirty player.
morgan5050

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2005 - 19:04 Reply with quote Back to top

So basically, MB is very nearly as good as +1 to both armor and injury rolls. It gets applied to armor exactly when needed to beat the armor score (i.e. you roll the player's AV) and otherwise is always applied to injury.
Dreamsplitter

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2005 - 19:25 Reply with quote Back to top

no it really isn't... the +1 on injury gets used somewhere between 0,25 and 0,5 percent less for armor values 7-10

and yes guys, in blood bowl you roll the dice and THEN decide whether to use a skill or not. (dodging through more than one TZ for example would be pretty tricky otherwise)
R_Spiskit

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2005 - 19:33 Reply with quote Back to top

This was cleared up in an LRB FAQ. The general decision was as Dreamspliiter stated above: You roll the armor roll and then decide whether to modify it or not. This is very important in table top, especially now that piling on is an armor or injury reroll (in vault rules it's both, excuse me if it isn't in LRB). Because, If I roll a 7 against an av7, i get to choose to +1 with MB OR reroill with Piling on.

The client handles piuling on automatically.

But, yes, you see the roll before MB/DP are applied.
Xeterog

Post   Posted: Aug 23, 2005 - 22:50 Reply with quote Back to top

According to the LRB, you can choose to use ANY skill after you see the result of the die roll (unless the skill says otherwise). So, the client is doing it right in a way..assuming that you would choose to use MB on armor if you did not break the armor, and on injury otherwise.

You can even decide to use the kick skill after seeing the scatter roll, but the client doesn't support that Sad

Post   Posted: Aug 23, 2005 - 22:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes dreamsplitter, the +1 injury doesn't get used as often, but +1 does not always matter, so it is nearly as good as +1 to both rolls.