43 coaches online • Server time: 13:39
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Recruiting now - Gre...goto Post Borg Invasiongoto Post fumbbl Dungeon Bowl
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Lord_Splutticus

Post   Posted: Aug 23, 2005 - 22:13 Reply with quote Back to top

THE FOURTH EDITION THE “GOLD” BLOOD BOWL RULES

I re-read it, and especially this part intrigued me...

BIG GUYS

These rules are designed to sort out some of the problems with the way that Big Guys (Ogres, Trolls, Rat Ogres, etc.) work in Blood Bowl. The current rules are okay as far as they go, but putting Big Guys on the star player cards was a fudge really, and as time has passed by I’ve become less than happy with using the Star Player cards as a method of getting Big Guys into the game. After all, according to the background you can have entire teams of Big Guys (the Oldheim Ogres being the most notable example), and I now feel that they should really be treated as races in their own right, with a team list just like the other races. This would leave the Star Player cards to represent unique one-off Star Players.

Linked to the above is one very important question (to me, at least), which is: Why, in the game’s background, have teams of Big Guys always done so badly? After all, no team I can think of could take on even 11 Morg’s (let alone 16!), but the Oldheim Ogres aren’t one of the really great teams, while the Craggen Counts (a team of Vampires!) was ‘systematically put out its misery by its fans’. How could these things happen when Star Players of these races are so good? The answer is, I think, that Star Players like Morg N’ Thorg are truly exceptional players that lack a highly debilitating quirk or failing found in all other players of that race. Therefore, when writing up non-star player Big Guys, they should be given a really bad negative traits which crocks them enough to make taking a whole team of them as attractive as taking a team of Snotlings.

To represent this all Big Guys count as players of their respective races. In other words all Ogre players are of the Ogre race, in the same way that all Human players are part of the Human race. The characteristics of all Big Guy players are shown in the team lists below. The Big Guys in the following list will nearly always be taken as allies for other teams, rather than fielded as a team in their own right. If you wish, however, they can be used to form their own teams.

Single race Big Guy teams can’t take any allied players apart from Star Players of the same race (so you could include Morg in a team of Ogres, for example). Big Guy teams must start with at least eight players, and can have up to twelve. This aside Big Guys are treated exactly like a normal Blood Bowl team, and may hire extra coaching staff, use wizards, etc etc.

Important Rules Change: When fielding Big Guy teams, when you create the team the minimum number of players you need to buy is reduced to eight, but no more than eight Big Guys can be set up on the field when the team sets up (rather than 11 as is the case for other teams).

Quote:
Minotaur Team List

Qty Title Cost MV ST AG AV
0-12 Minotaur 110K 5 5 2 8

Skills: Horns, Mighty Blow, Thick Skull

Traits: Wild Animal, Always Hungry

Team Re-roll: 100,000

Quote:
Ogre Team List

0-12 Ogre 120K 5 5 2 9

Skills: Mighty Blow, Thick Skull

Traits: Bone-Head

Quote:
Treeman Team List

0-12 Treeman 110K 2 6 1 10

Skills: Mighty Blow, Stand Firm, Thick Skull

Traits: Take Root

Shouldn't we include these rosters at least in Unranked ?

It goes with the fluff, a lot of players would like it and since it is Unranked, nobody is forced to play aginst them and they don't screw up any rankings...

Post   Posted: Aug 23, 2005 - 22:37 Reply with quote Back to top

What's the date of publication on that file? I was seeing some cool and wacky stuff in there...

As far as inclusion of BG teams is concerned, I'd be all for it! However, if they prove as effective as Ogres in wiping my Orcs off the field, I doubt I'll play against them. Razz

Regards,
~hunter