52 coaches online • Server time: 23:59
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Finishing the 60 Gam...goto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Borg Invasion
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Should political discussion be banned on the fumbbl forums?
Yes
38%
 38%  [ 31 ]
No
54%
 54%  [ 44 ]
I don't care.
7%
 7%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 81

origami

Post   Posted: Sep 15, 2005 - 07:51 Reply with quote Back to top

The "off topic" section seems to have turned into the "political flaming" section recently. TBB had the same problem, and decided to ban political discussion on their forum.

Should the same be done here?
Wallace

Post   Posted: Sep 15, 2005 - 08:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Aye, this should be a place to chill out and have fun. There are plenty of other places of the web and elsewhere to have all these discussions. It's not about people being silenced or censored or anything, it's about time and place....

Good call Origami
Symmetrical

Post   Posted: Sep 15, 2005 - 08:19 Reply with quote Back to top

While some people are unable to remain chilled and have fun while discussing politics, this isn't true for all. Instead of promoting a ban on political discussions, lobby for a seperate politics section instead, where sensitive eyes won't be offended.
If political discussions are so frequent that they have prompted this poll, they must also be popular. Why stop the fun for the rest of us, just because you don't like looking at it?

It might mean more work for someone to do, but it would be less work in the long run than moderators trying to police a "No Political Discussions" rule.

Or, an even better idea, leave it as it is.
MattDFan

Post   Posted: Sep 15, 2005 - 08:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Just don't read them, works for me.
Markus

Post   Posted: Sep 15, 2005 - 08:38 Reply with quote Back to top

If someone doesn't like political discussions or gets emotionally involved he doesn't have to read the off topic section. I don't need to have politics here, but it's sometimes interesting to see how people react to statements and to get another point of view. I'd say leave it as it is and don't take anything too serious. But if it's too much work for the moderators or somehow could cause trouble ban it.

Post   Posted: Sep 15, 2005 - 08:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Freedom of speech FFS! Who are you to tell ppl what they can talk about and not?

As Markus said: If you can´t take it, stay off OT!
Karhumies

Post   Posted: Sep 15, 2005 - 08:44 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't really care whether or not there's some political discussion on the forum. I presume everyone is free to talk about the matters he/she wants to in the off-topic section. Similarly, everyone is free to choose which thread(s) he/she reads and which he/she responds to.

Although I know that politics, religion and sports are three topics generally known to involve flame wars, I see nothing wrong in discussing any one of them, as long as the threads are located in the off-topic section.

Last edited by Karhumies on %b %15, %2005 - %08:%Sep; edited 1 time in total
Skeloboy

Post   Posted: Sep 15, 2005 - 08:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, freedom of speech doesn not necessarily apply to every level of society, including forums...

The discussion is a good thing, cause it promotes the idea of a fumbbl society, thats not only about bloodbowl(well, of course the main focus is), and thats cool.

There is no need for banning political discussions, but those who really knows how to keep them civilized should just ignore meaningless replies.

Personally I try to not get involved, but thats because I forget to chech topics once I've answered
Karhumies

Post   Posted: Sep 15, 2005 - 08:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Skeloboy wrote:
There is no need for banning political discussions, but those who really knows how to keep them civilized should just ignore meaningless replies.

I support this view, as well as recommend everyone not take the criticism personally but rather as a counter-argument for their own view of the world.

Stupid replies can just be ignored.

Tommi

Post   Posted: Sep 15, 2005 - 08:54 Reply with quote Back to top

No cencorship, lots of people from different places here, great to see how they think about all areas of life, not just what they think about fouling and one-turners.
odi

Post   Posted: Sep 15, 2005 - 09:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Why don't all of you who are into politics, createa political tourney, that way we could see who is right... Let's see, if coaches would be thought of as countries, and for example the coaches' CR would be the amount of political and military power. And coaches create teams with fluff about politics, and what the coaches themselves think. Then if your right winged gobbo team gets picked on by some nasty left wing extremist dwarfs for example, you can ask some rights winged coach with a high CR, to intervene (as world police), and the dwarves have to play them. Then again, if your gobbo team is of no interest to the other right wingers, you'll prolly get beaten to a pulp... Ofcourse the same would go for the leftwingers.

Ofcourse we would need to have our own channel for that tourney, say #politics, so if a dwarf team challenges some flings, the flings can talk to the dwarves, and maybe find a peacefull resolution... Like promising they won't harrass any more elves of the same political party as the dwarves Razz

In the end, we would propably see that the tourney would be stuck, and nobody has proven that their view of politics is the right one Very Happy
Markus

Post   Posted: Sep 15, 2005 - 09:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Odi: Everybody would say he/she won the tourney. Just the inferior, misled and uninformed opponent was even too stupid to realize. There never was a doubt that he was right. A Tourney in which everybody won. The best tourney ever Wink

Post   Posted: Sep 15, 2005 - 09:22 Reply with quote Back to top

I think “Political Discussions” are great! I love to debate people on their point of view on most topics… however given this is a gaming site dedicated to blood bowl and not politics then it should be only used in moderation. “Off Topic” discussions should be a small percentage of forum posts, not the bulk – which appears to be the issue.

To facilitate this desire of mine to be interactive with people, I added a Web Forum only yesterday to my WebLog (see link in my sig below)… happy to take you political malcontents on at Lime Kettles.

Clay
MrMojo

Post   Posted: Sep 15, 2005 - 09:28 Reply with quote Back to top

nope.

Post   Posted: Sep 15, 2005 - 09:59 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm all for free speech, but I don't really see the problem with Admins banning whatever they want. I don't own this forum, I haven't paid a fee for the privilege of using it, and I have no right to an opinion on it. If I make my own Bloodbowl online resource, then I can have free speech in my own forums. Here, I don't have any rights to anything. No-one does, except Christer.

Jump to: